WM $$ v. GULC sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
im_blue

Gold

Re: WM $$ v. GULC sticker

Post by im_blue » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:31 pm

Capitol A wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:
Capitol A wrote: Im sure you're right, but I didn't think I would get money at wm either, and im trying to be sure of the decision. Maybe it will be made for me...strangely that would be kind of nice.
It has already been made for you - GULC isn't going to happen with your numbers. It's not worth sticker ITE anyway.

I'm at the medians for the GULC PT program, and my understanding is that transferring to FT is pretty simple.
The second part of your post is the crux of my question...Given the option, is GULC worth sticker when W&M with scholly is an option?
GULC PT medians are 3.62/166 and will surely go up after US News starting counting PT numbers.
http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/S ... BA5244.pdf

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:34 pm

Get an MPP. If you want to work in politics/policy a JD is the most expensive way to get there. The cheapest, actually, is to get a job on the Hill and pay your dues.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:41 pm

IAFG wrote:Get an MPP. If you want to work in politics/policy a JD is the most expensive way to get there. The cheapest, actually, is to get a job on the Hill and pay your dues.
Good point, but my goals are quite a bit more complicated than that....No reason/room here to explain, but I'm confident in my path.
hipstermafia wrote:
Capitol A wrote: I'm at the medians for the GULC PT program, and my understanding is that transferring to FT is pretty simple.
The second part of your post is the crux of my question...Given the option, is GULC worth sticker when W&M with scholly is an option?
I'm fairly certain that the median GULC PT numbers on the TLS profile are no longer correct, if that is where you're drawing that data from.

Applicants on LSN accepted to gulc last cycle with a 165 or below (both FT and PT programs):
http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... =3&type=jd

URMs: 18/19
hmmmm....That's interesting....Oh well. It seems like GULC is out of the question, and honestly, paying sticker pretty much anywhere is basically out of the question for me, so my mind is pretty much set on W&M.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:42 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote: I guess you're saying St. Louis is boring? It's no NYC, but there is no comparison between the 18th largest metro area in the United States and Bumfucksburg, Virginia.
Hm. A little boring vs. horrible crime/murder-rate? Toughhhh decision.

I wouldn't spend a year in my life in St. Louis. Life is short, no reason to make it shorter by living in St. Louis.
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009/Me ... nk_Rev.pdf

Look at #103. Crime rates in St. Louis (including on the most recent list in which St. Louis was given the distinction of "most dangerous city") are often exaggerated by not including the entire metro area (which is often included for other cities) and/or by including data for East St. Louis (which is the cesspool of crime across the river). HTH.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:45 pm

Lemme guess, by "complicated" you mean you plan to run for office.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote: I guess you're saying St. Louis is boring? It's no NYC, but there is no comparison between the 18th largest metro area in the United States and Bumfucksburg, Virginia.

I wouldn't spend a year in my life in St. Louis. Life is short, no reason to make it shorter by living in St. Louis.
Not all parts of St. Louis are the same. WashU is in a fairly safe area, I grew up a few minutes away.

The US has one of the highest murder rates in the OECD. By your logic, living anywhere in the US is equally dangerous because they're all in the US. Not all the US has the same murder rate, not all St. Louis has the same murder rate.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:52 pm

beachbum wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

Look at #103. Crime rates in St. Louis (including on the most recent list in which St. Louis was given the distinction of "most dangerous city") are often exaggerated by not including the entire metro area (which is often included for other cities) and/or by including data for East St. Louis (which is the cesspool of crime across the river). HTH.
This is all very interesting....Just out of curiosity...Which one of the schools in question is in the STL?
FWIW, I race the Gateway Cup in StLouis every year, and for the most part I have had great experiences. The Hill is really cool, as is Lafeyette Square; but other than professional sports, there is absolutely nothing in StL that is not in Williamsburg, in terms of entertainment. That's probably why Williamsburg gets 4million tourists every year, and StL gets 4. That doesn't make Williamsburg a better place to live, but for my money I can go without pro sports if it means better weather, lower crime (two 10year olds did try to mug me before my last race there), more outdoor activities and less population density, but that's just me...and none of this is nearly as important as making sure I get the best education and ROI that I can out of my law school (which was the whole point of this discussion to begin with).

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:58 pm

rad law wrote:
Capitol A wrote:165/3.62.
Why does that matter?
Because without URM and with those numbers, you're almost assuredly not gonna get into Penn, Vandy, or GULC, so this makes your decision much easier.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:01 pm

Capitol A wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

This is all very interesting....Just out of curiosity...Which one of the schools in question is in the STL?
FWIW, I race the Gateway Cup in StLouis every year, and for the most part I have had great experiences. The Hill is really cool, as is Lafeyette Square; but other than professional sports, there is absolutely nothing in StL that is not in Williamsburg, in terms of entertainment. That's probably why Williamsburg gets 4million tourists every year, and StL gets 4. That doesn't make Williamsburg a better place to live, but for my money I can go without pro sports if it means better weather, lower crime (two 10year olds did try to mug me before my last race there), more outdoor activities and less population density, but that's just me...and none of this is nearly as important as making sure I get the best education and ROI that I can out of my law school (which was the whole point of this discussion to begin with).
Fair enough, then it sounds like Williamsburg is a good fit for you. Which is good, because you're not getting into GULC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:02 pm

IAFG wrote:Lemme guess, by "complicated" you mean you plan to run for office.
Not at all. You definitely don't need a JD to do that (although I think it helps if you get your JD from Vandy, and make funny website contributions under the name Brock Landers)....
The professional experience that I have had for the last 7 years combined with a JD will help me to pursue a very particular path...There truly is no reason to explain further than that. It would be interesting to no one.

oshberg28

Bronze

Post by oshberg28 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:44 pm

beachbum wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

Agree with beachblum, as another native St. Louisan (now living in D.C.)...nearly everyone who brings up the crime aspect of St. Louis has never been there.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:06 pm

oshberg28 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

Agree with beachblum, as another native St. Louisan (now living in D.C.)...nearly everyone who brings up the crime aspect of St. Louis has never been there.
Like I said, I've been there a few times and I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was...We didn't cross the river, and there was certainly that situation where you could be in a super nice area and turn the corner into the projects, but I think that's the case in any older city.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:18 pm

now that poster is settled. what would u guys do in this situation if u could be accepted to a bottom top 14 at sticker for 45k/yr or w&m for 15k/yr

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:23 pm

justadude55 wrote:now that poster is settled. what would u guys do in this situation if u could be accepted to a bottom top 14 at sticker for 45k/yr or w&m for 15k/yr
Something in the middle of that for an amount of money in between those.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:31 pm

justadude55 wrote:now that poster is settled. what would u guys do in this situation if u could be accepted to a bottom top 14 at sticker for 45k/yr or w&m for 15k/yr
This was the point of the original post....I wish I never would have posed the question...I've made the decision on my own at this point (and everyone can save the comments about 'you can't get GULC anyway')
Last edited by Capitol A on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oshberg28

Bronze

Post by oshberg28 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:02 pm

Capitol A wrote:
This was the point of the original post....I wish I never would have posed the question...I've made the decision on my own at this point (and everyone can save the comments about 'you can't get GULC anyway')
Hey, don't listen to the people who say "you can't get into GULC"...what people mean to say is "you have less than a 25% chance of getting in...or less than a 10% chance" - that doesn't mean you can't get in. You never know until you apply.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:02 pm

rad law wrote:
+1, although it depends on the T14. If C or G, then I'd much rather take some sort of scholarship at Vandy or Texas. If MVPDN, I'd go with sticker.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:16 pm

beachbum wrote:
rad law wrote:
+1, although it depends on the T14. If C or G, then I'd much rather take some sort of scholarship at Vandy or Texas. If MVPDN, I'd go with sticker.
is this because of job placement or living style for 3 yrs?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:19 pm

justadude55 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
rad law wrote:
is this because of job placement or living style for 3 yrs?
Jerbs.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:28 pm

UVA > Cornell jobs in NYC?

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:26 pm

Capitol A wrote:
IAFG wrote:Lemme guess, by "complicated" you mean you plan to run for office.
Not at all. You definitely don't need a JD to do that (although I think it helps if you get your JD from Vandy, and make funny website contributions under the name Brock Landers)....
The professional experience that I have had for the last 7 years combined with a JD will help me to pursue a very particular path...There truly is no reason to explain further than that. It would be interesting to no one.
You sound like you just ask us for opinions, but really don't take any of them into account. Well, the types of corporate/policy jobs in DC that require a JD can be deduced easily, so people can certainly know what you are referring to. If you already have some work experiences, and are currently working, why give it up? Go to GULC PT for the first year, if cannot handle the workload, switch to FT. GULC will put you at a more competitive position than W&M, especially there will be a great number of Harvard, Yale, NYU, and Berkeley grads flood the corporate/policy job market in DC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:34 pm

Capitol A wrote:I've made the decision on my own at this point (and everyone can save the comments about 'you can't get GULC anyway')
/thread

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:02 pm

Williamsburg is no metropolis, but it's a charming little town all the same--not a place most people would associate with "bumfuck."

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:35 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Williamsburg is no metropolis, but it's a charming little town all the same--not a place most people would associate with "bumfuck."
Ditto about Williamsburg. . . .the stereotype (much like the one about STL) does not include the surrounding areas. . .

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:51 pm

Really don't understand the rudeness that this post has generated. OP is just posing a valid question as to whether people would pick WM with money or GULC at sticker. Both are good schools.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”