U of A vs. Waiting

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ameinseto

U of A vs. Waiting

Postby ameinseto » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:46 am

I have a bit of a complicated situation. My husband and I live in Tucson, and for the next couple of years he will be attending graduate school here at the University of Arizona for engineering. I am attempting to finish my JD during the same(-ish) amount of time he will be spending in grad school (I will be matriculating a year later than him). The problem is that my choices are basically University of Arizona or University of Arizona, and I want to eventually work in either Denver or Seattle.

I am a splitter, my stats being 3.2/176 but I have worked between 35 and 70 hours a week for my entire undergraduate career and have really strong LRs. Seeing the U of A's class profile I am assuming that I will be able to get some money, but would I be better off going here or biding my time either getting another degree or working until I can move and go to a different school? I know that with the economy being what it is, job prospects aren't great and I don't want to bank on being able to get a job out of the regional market of the school that I go to, even if I end up being offered a substantial amount of money. Any advice?

thexfactor

Re: U of A vs. Waiting

Postby thexfactor » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:01 am

wait and apply to t14. Don't shortchange yourself by going to UA.

oscodasa

Postby oscodasa » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:07 am

thexfactor wrote:wait and apply to t14. Don't shortchange yourself by going to UA.

+1

ameinseto

Postby ameinseto » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks for the insight, guys. I figured that might be the general concensus.

So now the question is, how useful is graduate level coursework when applying to law school? I've seen that some people are more likely to overcome low GPAs like mine with an addendum and proof of commitment through better grades in a graduate program. Then again, I have also heard people say that grad school won't really do much for you.

If I am going to be here in Tucson anyway and the master's programs that I qualify for are essentially free with stipends because of assistantships, is the extra degree on my transcript worth the opportunity cost of whatever salary/work experience I could get in the area with just a bachelor's degree?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:38 pm

My sense is no. Don't do any advanced degrees unless it's going to help your career. It's not worth giving up salary for another piece of paper. It won't help much for LS admissions. That said, I am doing one right now, but the degree is a dramatic upgrade from my ug degree, and I am still able to work at the same time. I think WE is going to help you more for LS/jobs anyway, and you will be making money.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”