Cutting Throats at the Top 14

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kdsunday
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:30 pm

Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby kdsunday » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:18 pm

Which T14 school would you say is the most competitive? Georgetown? Chicago?

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby irishman86 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:25 pm

It's going to be competitive everywhere, but my guess is Georgetown simply because people know they have to be higher in the class to get biglaw.

Your comfort level also depends on what method of testing you excel at. I know that Chicago 1L exams are all writing-based. Some other T-14s use part-multiple choice final exams. If you're a good test taker but a slow typist, you may feel more comfortable elsewhere.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby niederbomb » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:55 am

Besides Yale, which T14 is the least cutthroat? Obviously, they're all competitive, but some have got to be nicer about it than others.

Virginia? Penn? Maybe Duke?

User avatar
js87
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:42 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby js87 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:21 am

irishman86 wrote:It's going to be competitive everywhere, but my guess is Georgetown simply because people know they have to be higher in the class to get biglaw.

Your comfort level also depends on what method of testing you excel at. I know that Chicago 1L exams are all writing-based. Some other T-14s use part-multiple choice final exams. If you're a good test taker but a slow typist, you may feel more comfortable elsewhere.


I'm a 1L at Georgetown. There seems to be a reputation, at least on TLS, that GULC is cutthroat and ultra-competitive. I really haven't experienced that, though. People are friendly, willing to share their notes, etc. In fact, when I missed class one day I had a friend e-mail me his notes when I hadn't even asked.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:10 pm

irishman86 wrote:It's going to be competitive everywhere, but my guess is Georgetown simply because people know they have to be higher in the class to get biglaw.

Your comfort level also depends on what method of testing you excel at. I know that Chicago 1L exams are all writing-based. Some other T-14s use part-multiple choice final exams. If you're a good test taker but a slow typist, you may feel more comfortable elsewhere.


Many of the contracts profs have some multiple choice.

The professor determines the exam format, not the school. That is the only universal truth about exam formats.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:17 pm

From my take, NU isn't terribly competitive. The school has fostered a culture of sharing notes and outlines and I think that the age difference helps. Also, our placement in big law continues to be strong (i.e. 60-65%) of the c/o 2012 appear to be heading to V100 firms for the summer.

friedoska
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby friedoska » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:21 pm

Michigan doesn't seem that competitive. (Or maybe my friends are just slackers?) Last year, one really good outline for a 1L course was distributed so widely among my classmates to the point where pretty much everyone had it.

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby Reedie » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:12 pm

We all seem to get along pretty well here at Duke. Honestly, even with the economy being in suck mode, I think the whole cutthroat thing is not that true of law schools in general these days. Chicago has a reputation for being "intense" but I don't think that's because students are all being super competitive with one another.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2397
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby nealric » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:23 pm

It's going to be competitive everywhere, but my guess is Georgetown simply because people know they have to be higher in the class to get biglaw.


I went to GULC. People work hard, but nobody is cutthroat about it.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:25 pm

i think law schools, in general, tend to be as competitive as the people you hang out with

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby mths » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:46 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:i think law schools, in general, tend to be as competitive as the people you hang out with

This. I'm at Cornell and I haven't felt any competitive vibes.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby clintonius » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:08 pm

Yup, nothing cutthroat happening in my line of sight at NYU.

User avatar
Raver
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby Raver » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:52 pm

I cut throats DAILY. This way I have less competition come OCI.

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby Reedie » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:55 pm

Raver wrote:I cut throats DAILY. This way I have less competition come OCI.


Only if the throats you cut have higher GPAs.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby Emma. » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:02 pm

irishman86 wrote:It's going to be competitive everywhere, but my guess is Georgetown simply because people know they have to be higher in the class to get biglaw.

Your comfort level also depends on what method of testing you excel at. I know that Chicago 1L exams are all writing-based. Some other T-14s use part-multiple choice final exams. If you're a good test taker but a slow typist, you may feel more comfortable elsewhere.


I really haven't seen anything approaching cutthroat behavior at Chicago yet.

Also some of the 1L exams have a multiple-choice component and some are 8 hour take homes with word limits. Not everything is a typing contest.

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby 2011Law » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:06 pm

Reedie wrote:
Raver wrote:I cut throats DAILY. This way I have less competition come OCI.


Only if the throats you cut have higher GPAs.


Not only should you cut their throats, but you should eat them as well. This will strike fear into the hearts and minds of your enemy.

User avatar
Raver
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby Raver » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Reedie wrote:
Raver wrote:I cut throats DAILY. This way I have less competition come OCI.


Only if the throats you cut have higher GPAs.


Well, of course. I do have standards.

User avatar
Magi228
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby Magi228 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:19 pm

From what I can gather, I definitely get the impression that the west coast schools (Stanford and Berkeley) are much less competetive than the east coast schools. I assume this has something to do with a mix of west coast culture and unique grading systems.

However I am a 0L, so I clearly don't have direct experience.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Reedie wrote:
Raver wrote:I cut throats DAILY. This way I have less competition come OCI.


Only if the throats you cut have higher GPAs.

And people with W/E. And gunners, just cause.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:37 pm

chadwick218 wrote:From my take, NU isn't terribly competitive. The school has fostered a culture of sharing notes and outlines and I think that the age difference helps. Also, our placement in big law continues to be strong (i.e. 60-65%) of the c/o 2012 appear to be heading to V100 firms for the summer.


For the most part, I've found this to be true. It was less true this summer in my program, but as far as I can tell, our group seems to be mostly recovered from any bad feelings there may or may not have been.

User avatar
bmwhype2
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:49 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby bmwhype2 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:10 pm

is there an unwritten rule: the lower the bracket is (HYS, CCN etc), the more cutthroatness required to get BigLaw and OCI interviews?

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:14 pm

bmwhype2 wrote:is there an unwritten rule: the lower the bracket is (HYS, CCN etc), the more cutthroatness required to get BigLaw and OCI interviews?


not necessarily? but i imagine the amount of 'cutthroatness' at HYS is lessened by the fact that the grading systems there are much more forgiving

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:15 pm

Don't cut throats, cut fingers. Like, paper cut depth. Just enough to make typing really annoying.

Also, I would guess Michigan, where placement strength ignorance seems the most rampant.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby Unemployed » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Reedie wrote:
Raver wrote:I cut throats DAILY. This way I have less competition come OCI.


Only if the throats you cut have higher GPAs.

And people with W/E. And gunners, just cause.


Wouldn't you rather keep the stupid gunners alive and bask in their misery? Schadenfreude = law school's greatest reward.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Cutting Throats at the Top 14

Postby bilbobaggins » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:53 pm

Boalt has a great, non-competitive vibe.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests