GULC PT or GW/BU/BC/Fordham? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
icouldbuyu

Bronze

GULC PT or GW/BU/BC/Fordham?

Post by icouldbuyu » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:24 pm

I am nearly certain to get into most schools right out of the T14. I want to do Big Law eventually. I also have a strong shot at Georgetown PT. What would be best for my scenario: Georgetown PT or GW/BU/BC/Fordham?

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Re: GULC PT or GW/BU/BC/Fordham?

Post by icouldbuyu » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:20 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:I am nearly certain to get into most schools right out of the T14. I want to do Big Law eventually. I also have a strong shot at Georgetown PT. What would be best for my scenario: Georgetown PT or GW/BU/BC/Fordham?
Any takers?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:37 pm

Last edited by dood on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:38 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:I am nearly certain to get into most schools right out of the T14. I want to do Big Law eventually. I also have a strong shot at Georgetown PT. What would be best for my scenario: Georgetown PT or GW/BU/BC/Fordham?
Any takers?
This is far from a complete scenario. Where do you want to practice law, what kind of scholarship offers are you looking at, how debt-averse are you, etc...

Also: numbers?

nealric

Post by nealric » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:39 pm

GULC PT would be better for NYC placement than Fordham.

IMO, GULC PT is hands down the best option of these. It's also the least debt option.

OP: I started in the GULC PT program (switched to FT) if you have any particular questions about the program.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:17 pm

I really don't care about location (DC, NY, Boston) as long as I have the best shot at Big Law.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:21 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:I really don't care about location (DC, NY, Boston) as long as I have the best shot at Big Law.
GULC then, hands down.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:30 pm

Last edited by dood on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:34 pm

dood wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:I really don't care about location (DC, NY, Boston) as long as I have the best shot at Big Law.
GULC then, hands down.
yea id second that, all other things being unknown.

but say u had a full scholly at GW, u might want to consider that. since all u care about is big law, top 15% at either gw or gulc is gonna get u that. only advantage i see to GULC is big law mobility outside of DC and possibly some T14 prestige points (not many) for clerking purposes.
For GULC, its only top 15%? I heard GW isn't worth it because the DC market is so bad right now, that whatever jobs exist go exclusively to GULC. Is that true?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:36 pm

OP, would money not be an issue at all here? If it isn't then of course just go to GULC. But I'm guessing there will be money that makes the determination fairly difficult.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:38 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
dood wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
GULC then, hands down.
yea id second that, all other things being unknown.

but say u had a full scholly at GW, u might want to consider that. since all u care about is big law, top 15% at either gw or gulc is gonna get u that. only advantage i see to GULC is big law mobility outside of DC and possibly some T14 prestige points (not many) for clerking purposes.
For GULC, its only top 15%? I heard GW isn't worth it because the DC market is so bad right now, that whatever jobs exist go exclusively to GULC. Is that true?
In DC, T14 grads get the pick of the litter, with GWU grads picking up the scraps. Going to GWU isn't worth sticker, but it can very well be worthwhile on scholly, depending on your other options.

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:43 pm

dakatz wrote:OP, would money not be an issue at all here? If it isn't then of course just go to GULC. But I'm guessing there will be money that makes the determination fairly difficult.
Money does play some role, but I also want a chance at a good career, so I am willing to take on some risk as long as its not completely stupid risk.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:45 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
dakatz wrote:OP, would money not be an issue at all here? If it isn't then of course just go to GULC. But I'm guessing there will be money that makes the determination fairly difficult.
Money does play some role, but I also want a chance at a good career, so I am willing to take on some risk as long as its not completely stupid risk.
It's nice to contemplate the hypothetical, but until you get get some acceptances/scholly offers back, this thread is essentially meaningless.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:35 pm

Boston- BC!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:11 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:
It's nice to contemplate the hypothetical, but until you get get some acceptances/scholly offers back, this thread is essentially meaningless.
Agree w/Nealric wrt NYC, and if you don't already have a Boston connection and want to work there BC/BU might be a smart play, but yes, what HeavenWood says is TCR here.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:19 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
With 167/3.87, I'm pretty sure you'll be out at GULC PT. But you should have a great shot at the rest.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:37 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:
With 167/3.87, I'm pretty sure you'll be out at GULC PT. But you should have a great shot at the rest.
Shouldn't 167/3.87 be a lock for GULC PT? I'm fairly sure that those stats are above both the 75th's for GULC's PT program last year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:17 am

buckilaw wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:
Shouldn't 167/3.87 be a lock for GULC PT? I'm fairly sure that those stats are above both the 75th's for GULC's PT program last year.
Thats what I thought. Even LSP says I'm an admit. Is the PT admissions process different in the sense that they are more unpredictable?

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:30 pm

It depends where you want to work.

If you want to work in NYC, go to Fordham.
If you want to work in dc, go to GW
If you want to work in boston, go to BC or BU (I prefer BC but these schools are the same)

If you want to explain to an employer why you are going PT and have a good reason, then GULC may be a good option. I don't see any reason not to do it. There is a bit of a stigma regarding the PT kids at GULC, but once you graduate, no one knows.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:53 pm

GULC is prob the better pick. The reason you might not be a lock to get in PT is that they're decreasing the number of PT seats.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:03 pm

ran12 wrote:GULC is prob the better pick. The reason you might not be a lock to get in PT is that they're decreasing the number of PT seats.
Thank US News for ruining this formerly lucrative sidedoor entry.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:05 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
ran12 wrote:GULC is prob the better pick. The reason you might not be a lock to get in PT is that they're decreasing the number of PT seats.

I think this topic is old. Looks like OP got into UVA. If so, congrats! Better option than any of them for any city (even Boston, I still don't understand why there are so many UVA students in Boston - easily outnumber Mich/Penn/whatever other peer).

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:13 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

I think this topic is old. Looks like OP got into UVA. If so, congrats! Better option than any of them for any city (even Boston, I still don't understand why there are so many UVA students in Boston - easily outnumber Mich/Penn/whatever other peer).
And so it does...

Congrats, OP! I may join you in a few weeks. :wink:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”