Did I miss a good school to apply to? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
OGR3

Silver

Re: Did I miss a good school to apply to?

Post by OGR3 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:21 pm

Pitt >>> Penn State.

There's a billion hospitals in Pittsburgh and it seems like every other person is obese. There's certainly a need for more EMS here.

Regional job prospects are pretty good since your only local competition is Duquesne (TTTT).

You should be able to negotiate a good scholly with the money you'll most likely get from some of your other applications. Also, it's relatively easy to get in-state tuition if you move with your wife.

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:32 pm

SBL wrote:I would apply to every school ranked between ~20-40. Tell your wife to suck it up, too, because you're pretty competitive for UCD/UCH and given your numbers those might be really good choices for you.

I agree with this whole-heartedly. Your LSAT is perfect for this range and your GPA is only slightly lower than many of these schools' 25ths. If you send emails to schools in this range to request fee waivers, you'll probably be surprised how many you'll get based on your LSAT. I believe Iowa's cut-off, for example, is 164 and they respond quickly to requests. You can also try UVA and WUSTL as reaches. They responded extremely promptly to my requests and the email response I got seemed to imply that they would grant them to just about anyone who asked for one. Also, definitely shoot out $12 applications to UIUC & George Mason. Worth a shot.
(Other top 100 schools with no application fee include University of Utah, Case Western, Baylor, Brooklyn, Loyola CHicago, Chicago Kent and University of the Pacific, but I think these are all below what you should shoot for).

As a splitter, you should apply very broadly as your cycle will be more unpredictable than most. You should even apply to schools in locations you wouldn't normally consider, as you never know how things will turn out and it's better to have many options to weed out from than just a few. Who knows, you may even be able to negotiate scholarships using CA, AL, MI, and other "undesireable" schools. :mrgreen:
Best of luck!

EDITED: added George Mason.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:54 am

vegenator wrote:
SBL wrote:I would apply to every school ranked between ~20-40. Tell your wife to suck it up, too, because you're pretty competitive for UCD/UCH and given your numbers those might be really good choices for you.

I agree with this whole-heartedly. Your LSAT is perfect for this range and your GPA is only slightly lower than many of these schools' 25ths. If you send emails to schools in this range to request fee waivers, you'll probably be surprised how many you'll get based on your LSAT. I believe Iowa's cut-off, for example, is 164 and they respond quickly to requests. You can also try UVA and WUSTL as reaches. They responded extremely promptly to my requests and the email response I got seemed to imply that they would grant them to just about anyone who asked for one. Also, definitely shoot out $12 applications to UIUC & George Mason. Worth a shot.
(Other top 100 schools with no application fee include University of Utah, Case Western, Baylor, Brooklyn, Loyola CHicago, Chicago Kent and University of the Pacific, but I think these are all below what you should shoot for).

As a splitter, you should apply very broadly as your cycle will be more unpredictable than most. You should even apply to schools in locations you wouldn't normally consider, as you never know how things will turn out and it's better to have many options to weed out from than just a few. Who knows, you may even be able to negotiate scholarships using CA, AL, MI, and other "undesireable" schools. :mrgreen:
Best of luck!

EDITED: added George Mason.
I agree with all of this except the part about U. Pacific. McGeorge is a festering TTT and not worth the $12 application fee.

Seriously though OP, even if your wife doesn't like CA, she might love Davis. It's a small, safe town, and Davis/Sac feels MUCH more like a Midwestern city than a CA city.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:19 am

SBL wrote: I agree with all of this except the part about U. Pacific. McGeorge is a festering TTT and not worth the $12 application fee.

Seriously though OP, even if your wife doesn't like CA, she might love Davis. It's a small, safe town, and Davis/Sac feels MUCH more like a Midwestern city than a CA city.
Yeah there's even cows and shit.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:42 am

LSpleaseee wrote:
SBL wrote: I agree with all of this except the part about U. Pacific. McGeorge is a festering TTT and not worth the $12 application fee.

Yeah there's even cows and shit.
Not so much in Sac, but here in Davis we definitely have plenty of cows. Ag school, baby!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:56 am

SBL wrote:Not so much in Sac, but here in Davis we definitely have plenty of cows. Ag school, baby!
Haha yeah I was referring to Davis.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks to everyone who posted....

I applied to a few 20-40 schools.... but the majority of mine were in the 50-100 range. Given that I have heard back from more than half, and only one rejection I definitely didn't aim high enough.

I might send out more later. Or go to Canada. I have gotten into one of the top 5 in that country... but they don't really do rankings there. Basically everyone gets a job there... so it isn't the same as here.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:38 pm

mountaintime wrote:George Mason

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Are you a Canadian citizen ? If not, will you be able to practice in Canada ? Which law schools do you consider to be top 5 Canadian law schools ?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”