GW worth EDing for with a 170/3.9

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Emeth!

GW worth EDing for with a 170/3.9

Postby Emeth! » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:49 am

Like the school and love the DC area. but, is it worth it to throw a 170/3.9 at a school like GW? will i still get substainial mula from the school if i don't get the full ride early desicion thing?

FuManChusco

Re: GW worth EDing for with a 170/3.9

Postby FuManChusco » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:01 am

Emeth! wrote:Like the school and love the DC area. but, is it worth it to throw a 170/3.9 at a school like GW? will i still get substainial mula from the school if i don't get the full ride early desicion thing?

I wouldn't go to GW with those numbers. your call though.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:21 am

You get 76500 at UT and 45000 at UM. Can update you when I get more offers ;)

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:44 am

FuManChusco wrote:
Emeth! wrote:Like the school and love the DC area. but, is it worth it to throw a 170/3.9 at a school like GW? will i still get substainial mula from the school if i don't get the full ride early desicion thing?

Second this.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:48 am

tea_drinker wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

Second this.

Third.

Do not ED. You will get in with alot of money RD.

Gc12

Postby Gc12 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:12 am

-
Last edited by Gc12 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:35 am

It depends on what you want. If you want to minimize debt, the GW thing may be your best option out there. If you want to maximize your chances at Biglaw, you should go to Virginia, you will probably get a little money and graduate with about $150K in debt. I would decide now whether GW would be worth it to you. You seem like you are a very safe bet to get some sort of money at a lower t-14 (less than half scholarship). I think t-6 is a long shot. I think your choices are rather clear cut.

I would probably do GW, but then again, I would be happy with midlaw if it meant little debt.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:07 am

Gc12 wrote:I don't necessarily disagree with the answers so far, but I would add that if you actually think you would pick GWU anyway (all things being equal), then there is no reason not to maximize full scholly chances and do the binding ED program.

If you would prefer other schools you might realistically get into, then I would keep your options open.

However, not everyone wants to go to the highest-ranked school they get into. I'm strongly considering applying to the GWU ED program, and I think I could probably get into somewhere higher with some $ (I'm 167/3.53 (3.90 last two years) URM, 5 years strong WE). Even if I got a partial scholly to lower T14, I feel like I might prefer GWU -- I like the idea of being in DC, the school itself appeals to me for various reasons, and I seem to just picture myself there (in a positive way) more than I do with any other school. If you feel more or less the same way... then why not just go for it?

dude. 167/3.53/URM is HYS. You could get a huge scholly to GTown. You're an idiot if you ED to GW. OP shouldn't ED because he'll get gobs of money RD anyways. might as well leave his options open. The DC market is in the shitter. and I'm not just talking crap about GW. I'd kill to get in. I just don't think it's the best option with those numbers ITE. The 100k he'll save now is not worth even close to the career opportunities he'll have going to a t14.

Gc12

Postby Gc12 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:53 pm

-

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:58 pm

Gc12 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
Gc12 wrote:I don't necessarily disagree with the answers so far, but I would add that if you actually think you would pick GWU anyway (all things being equal), then there is no reason not to maximize full scholly chances and do the binding ED program.

If you would prefer other schools you might realistically get into, then I would keep your options open.

However, not everyone wants to go to the highest-ranked school they get into. I'm strongly considering applying to the GWU ED program, and I think I could probably get into somewhere higher with some $ (I'm 167/3.53 (3.90 last two years) URM, 5 years strong WE). Even if I got a partial scholly to lower T14, I feel like I might prefer GWU -- I like the idea of being in DC, the school itself appeals to me for various reasons, and I seem to just picture myself there (in a positive way) more than I do with any other school. If you feel more or less the same way... then why not just go for it?

dude. 167/3.53/URM is HYS. You could get a huge scholly to GTown. You're an idiot if you ED to GW. OP shouldn't ED because he'll get gobs of money RD anyways. might as well leave his options open. The DC market is in the shitter. and I'm not just talking crap about GW. I'd kill to get in. I just don't think it's the best option with those numbers ITE. The 100k he'll save now is not worth even close to the career opportunities he'll have going to a t14.

Does the URM boost really make that big a difference? It's Native American (and I'm part Native American/part white, so checking off both on applications), by the way. My thinking was that my numbers are good but not great (basically not quite good enough for T14 on their own), but that the URM boost/strong softs might get me a little $ at lower T14 -- I like GWU and figured I would prefer a full ride at GWU to, say, some money at T10-T14. HYS hasn't even been on my radar. Does 167/3.53 with URM really beat 170/3.9 w/o URM by that much? I just didn't think it was that big a boost.

If you write a DS about how being Native has significantly affected your life then YES the boost IS that big. There are plenty of mixed people out there. It shouldn't decrease your boost-- or it's very unlikely
Writing the DS is essential though
if you check NDN and White and then don't write anything, they'll think you're one of those my great great great grandmother was a Cherokee princess people

You will get money at the T-6-T-14 so don't apply to GW except as a back up
if you like DC
go to Georgetown
Last edited by s0ph1e2007 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Gc12 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

Does the URM boost really make that big a difference? It's Native American (and I'm part Native American/part white, so checking off both on applications), by the way. My thinking was that my numbers are good but not great (basically not quite good enough for T14 on their own), but that the URM boost/strong softs might get me a little $ at lower T14 -- I like GWU and figured I would prefer a full ride at GWU to, say, some money at T10-T14. HYS hasn't even been on my radar. Does 167/3.53 with URM really beat 170/3.9 w/o URM by that much? I just didn't think it was that big a boost.
Not unless you have a tribal card. Probably need a ballin' diversity statement too.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:00 pm

stratocophic wrote: Not unless you have a tribal card. Probably need a ballin' diversity statement too.

ohhhhh ahhhh I HATE this conversation. Don't make stuff up! A ridiculous number of Tribes aren't even federally recognized. A Tribal card isn't required, and they don't even ask you for one.
On the other hand a DS IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Gc12 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

Does the URM boost really make that big a difference? It's Native American (and I'm part Native American/Part white, so checking off both on applications), by the way. My thinking was that my numbers are good but not great (basically not quite good enough for T14 on their own), but that the URM boost/strong softs might get me a little $ at lower T14 -- I like GW and figured I would prefer a full ride at GWU to, say, some money at T10-T14. HYS hasn't even been on my radar.

I'll just leave this here.... http://lawschoolnumbers.com/NYY2013/jd

HYS is actually kind of a long shot. A 3.6 or 170 would help you. I would definitely take a shot at the T3 though. I doubt you'll have to attend lower than T6. Probably need the ID card if you're NA though. I have no clue how that works.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:08 pm

FuManChusco wrote:Probably need the ID card if you're NA though. I have no clue how that works.

yes, you don't.

Sorry, not trying to be harsh, but don't just guess about something you have no idea about. What if they take your advice?

Gc12

Postby Gc12 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:28 pm

-

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:44 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:Probably need the ID card if you're NA though. I have no clue how that works.

yes, you don't.

Sorry, not trying to be harsh, but don't just guess about something you have no idea about. What if they take your advice?

Well, I put a disclaimer. What advice would he have taken? "Oh I need an ID card. Welp I guess I'll just check Caucasian then." He'd have to be an idiot to blindly take advice from a forum. No offense, but you're a jackass.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:54 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:

yes, you don't.

Well, I put a disclaimer. What advice would he have taken? "Oh I need an ID card. Welp I guess I'll just check Caucasian then." He'd have to be an idiot to blindly take advice from a forum. No offense, but you're a jackass.

Don't put someone down for correcting your ignorant statement. Just move on. NO OFFENSE.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:16 pm

JakeL wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:

yes, you don't.

Don't put someone down for correcting your ignorant statement. Just move on. NO OFFENSE.

Hmm... i will say this is a tough call if you don't have a tribal affiliation card (probably meaning you aren't an active member in the culture) just because I really don't think NAs are actively discriminated against -- though historical discrimination still has effects today. However, if you can write a decent diversity statement about it then it is probably ok to check off even if you don't have tribal affiliations.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:25 pm

AreJay711 wrote:[\
Hmm... i will say this is a tough call if you don't have a tribal affiliation card (probably meaning you aren't an active member in the culture) just because I really don't think NAs are actively discriminated against -- though historical discrimination still has effects today. However, if you can write a decent diversity statement about it then it is probably ok to check off even if you don't have tribal affiliations.

Not having a card does not mean you aren't an active member.

and discrimination (now or back in the day) is not what the boost is about. It's about having the same percentage of a race/ethnicity in law school as in the overall population (let's say there are 6% NA in the whole US but only 2% in law school. The boost is meant to help get that LS percentage up not to make up for past discrimination)

ETA: before someone jumps all over me about my incorrect statistics or some shit: those are made up numbers.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:34 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:[\

Not having a card does not mean you aren't an active member.

and discrimination (now or back in the day) is not what the boost is about. It's about having the same percentage of a race/ethnicity in law school as in the overall population (let's say there are 6% NA in the whole US but only 2% in law school. The boost is meant to help get that LS percentage up not to make up for past discrimination)

ETA: before someone jumps all over me about my incorrect statistics or some shit: those are made up numbers.

Ok you might be right. I'm part NA and those are just my reasons for not having my tribal identification card and not applying as a NA.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:38 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Ok you might be right. I'm part NA and those are just my reasons for not having my tribal identification card and not applying as a NA.

Ah I see. I just know that there are a lot of technicalities that don't allow people who are very involved in their community to get cards whereas the "my great great great great grandma who I didn't even know existed until last year is NA" people can get a card easily. The card might signify involvement but it might not. Are you not even checking NA on apps?

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:41 pm

idk anything about URM, but if i'm guessing, i'd say 167 3.53 URM can be better than 170 3.9 at schools that have medians below 3.53 and 167, because then the URM helps them on multiple fronts.

with a 170 3.9 you would be an idiot to apply to GWU ED.

why'd they give u $ when they don't have to?

170 3.9 is top 5 good.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:47 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Ok you might be right. I'm part NA and those are just my reasons for not having my tribal identification card and not applying as a NA.

Ah I see. I just know that there are a lot of technicalities that don't allow people who are very involved in their community to get cards whereas the "my great great great great grandma who I didn't even know existed until last year is NA" people can get a card easily. The card might signify involvement but it might not. Are you not even checking NA on apps?

No because the thing on LSAC says you need to be active in the tribe or have the identification card. Maybe that was a pretty epic fail though. I did check it on UCLA though because they had two and one was for data purposes and didn't have to write a tribal affiliation on it,

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:48 pm

justadude55 wrote:idk anything about URM, but if i'm guessing, i'd say 167 3.53 URM can be better than 170 3.9 at schools that have medians below 3.53 and 167, because then the URM helps them on multiple fronts.

with a 170 3.9 you would be an idiot to apply to GWU ED.

why'd they give u $ when they don't have to?

170 3.9 is top 5 good.

GW is different than other schools because it gives all of its ED applicants full scholarships.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:53 pm

JakeL wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:

yes, you don't.

you are so gay

Return to “Choosing a Law School”