Texas and job placement

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
irenic

Texas and job placement

Postby irenic » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:05 am

If finances are a consideration and practicing in the state of Texas is your preference (but not an obsession), what would be the best choice between schools such as University of Arkansas-Fayetteville, University of New Mexico, LSU, University of Denver, Texas Tech, and South Texas assuming you do not get into the top 4 in Texas? Furthermore, is biglaw even a possibility with ANY of these schools if you're willing to stay in their respective areas? I am a Texas resident so out of state tuition would be a consideration with several of the above mentioned schools. Thanks for any input.

ggocat

Re: Texas and job placement

Postby ggocat » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:25 am

Tech. No reason to go out of state unless you're going to a top school or getting a better deal (i.e., scholarship). Unless you get a scholarship to STCL or must work in Houston, I think Tech is a better choice because of the lower cost ($10k/year) and slightly better job prospects.

irenic

Postby irenic » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:27 am

ggocat wrote:Tech. No reason to go out of state unless you're going to a top school or getting a better deal (i.e., scholarship). Unless you get a scholarship to STCL or must work in Houston, I think Tech is a better choice because of the lower cost ($10k/year) and slightly better job prospects.

Would it be better to go to Tech than pay sticker at SMU or Baylor in your opinion? I'd love to go to University of Houston, but unfortunately I am a reach for that school.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:46 am

irenic wrote:
ggocat wrote:Tech. No reason to go out of state unless you're going to a top school or getting a better deal (i.e., scholarship). Unless you get a scholarship to STCL or must work in Houston, I think Tech is a better choice because of the lower cost ($10k/year) and slightly better job prospects.

Would it be better to go to Tech than pay sticker at SMU or Baylor in your opinion? I'd love to go to University of Houston, but unfortunately I am a reach for that school.

Better than sticker at Baylor, I think. (But nobody pays sticker at Baylor; according to ABA, 91% of Baylor students have a scholarship.)

I don't like the hypo of sticker at Tech vs. sticker at SMU because if you're accepted to SMU, you probably will get a scholarship to Tech. Tough choice if you don't get a scholarship, but I guess I'd vote for SMU.

grrrstick

Postby grrrstick » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:53 am

ggocat wrote:
irenic wrote:

Better than sticker at Baylor, I think. (But nobody pays sticker at Baylor; according to ABA, 91% of Baylor students have a scholarship.)

I don't like the hypo of sticker at Tech vs. sticker at SMU because if you're accepted to SMU, you probably will get a scholarship to Tech. Tough choice if you don't get a scholarship, but I guess I'd vote for SMU.

Anecdotally at least, Tech places well in West and North Texas. SMU/UH/STCL/Baylor are very local at best, even if they do place well in good economies. I imagine that there is a lot less competition for jobs in small and mid-size firms in Midland/Odessa and Amarillo coming from UT or anywhere else.

NewLobo

Postby NewLobo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:55 am

irenic wrote:If finances are a consideration and practicing in the state of Texas is your preference (but not an obsession), what would be the best choice between schools such as University of Arkansas-Fayetteville, University of New Mexico, LSU, University of Denver, Texas Tech, and South Texas assuming you do not get into the top 4 in Texas? Furthermore, is biglaw even a possibility with ANY of these schools if you're willing to stay in their respective areas? I am a Texas resident so out of state tuition would be a consideration with several of the above mentioned schools. Thanks for any input.

Being out of state will be a hugh "X" against you with UNM. Plus UNM will limit your opporunities to only New Mexico.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:00 am

Biglaw is going to be extraordinarily unlikely from any of those schools and none of the degrees are portable. I'm pulling this out of my rear to an extent, but I imagine the best chance to find some sort of employment would be from STCL or Denver strictly based on their proximity to an actual legal market. This gives you the opportunity to network and hustle.

irenic

Postby irenic » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:05 am

ggocat wrote:I don't like the hypo of sticker at Tech vs. sticker at SMU because if you're accepted to SMU, you probably will get a scholarship to Tech. Tough choice if you don't get a scholarship, but I guess I'd vote for SMU.

Well the thing is that according to law school predictor, I'm only a "consider" at Tech, whereas I'm a "weak consider" at UH and SMU. I couldn't imagine getting accepted to SMU w/ a $ offer which is why I was curious. I would no doubt take sticker at UH. So basically, T2 is not worth paying sticker in comparison to cheap in state TTT is the general consensus? For example, it would be foolish to pay out of state at say, New Mexico instead of going to Tech for in state tuition.

irenic

Postby irenic » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:09 am

Stringer Bell wrote:Biglaw is going to be extraordinarily unlikely from any of those schools and none of the degrees are portable. I'm pulling this out of my rear to an extent, but I imagine the best chance to find some sort of employment would be from STCL or Denver strictly based on their proximity to an actual legal market. This gives you the opportunity to network and hustle.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "employment"... Are you referring to biglaw or employment in general? I'm also pulling this out of my rear, but I would think that general employment would be better from Tech and each of the T2 schools mentioned compared to STCL.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:11 am

grrrstick wrote:Anecdotally at least, Tech places well in West and North Texas. SMU/UH/STCL/Baylor are very local at best, even if they do place well in good economies. I imagine that there is a lot less competition for jobs in small and mid-size firms in Midland/Odessa and Amarillo coming from UT or anywhere else.

How many new legal jobs a year are there in those cities though? Also, as someone that has family in a small town, I'm under the impression that you need to be connected to really do anything prosperous (speaking generally, not just about law). If you played QB at Midland Lee, went to TTech and came back to do family law or estate law or something, that would seem like a good choice.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:14 am

OP: Of all the schools you mentioned, SMU would give you the best biglaw prospects. However, I've met a lot of Tech grads in west Texas. What part of Texas are you from? I'm from west Texas, and if you're not from west Texas, you probably don't want to end up there. If you're from east Texas, you'd be much better off focusing your job search in Dallas and Houston. So, I would say SMU and UH, then Tech. Of course, that's assuming sticker price for all three schools, which is a pretty big assumption.

Where are you from? What are your numbers?

irenic

Postby irenic » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:16 am

One other thing for those who are familiar with Texas prospects. I have not heard much of anything about the city of San Antonio in general. St. Mary's is a TTTT there... Is it a complete waste of time compared to STCL and Tech? On TLS forums, I only hear Dallas and Houston mentioned in relation to jobs. San Antonio has to have a sizable market, no?

irenic

Postby irenic » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:19 am

JazzOne wrote:Where are you from? What are your numbers?

153/3.64, strongly considering a retake but would prefer to start next fall. I'm from Austin, which in my opinion is impossible to beat compared to anywhere else in the state. So yes, I'd much prefer to live in a city and stay out of a "small town" environment in east and west Texas. That said, for someone with my numbers, Tech does seem like a good value IMO.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:19 am

irenic wrote:One other thing for those who are familiar with Texas prospects. I have not heard much of anything about the city of San Antonio in general. St. Mary's is a TTTT there... Is it a complete waste of time compared to STCL and Tech? On TLS forums, I only hear Dallas and Houston mentioned in relation to jobs. San Antonio has to have a sizable market, no?

Not really. There's only one biglaw firm in San Antonio that I'm aware of. It's tough to break into that market without ties. I wouldn't bank on San Antonio. I know a few people from St. Mary's with no job, and I know a few who did really well. I would take SMU over St. Mary's. If you have any chance at SMU, that's probably going to be your best option unless you get serious money elsewhere.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:19 am

I'd go to the cheapest one

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:22 am

irenic wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Where are you from? What are your numbers?

153/3.64, strongly considering a retake but would prefer to start next fall. I'm from Austin, which in my opinion is impossible to beat compared to anywhere else in the state. So yes, I'd much prefer to live in a city and stay out of a "small town" environment in east and west Texas. That said, for someone with my numbers, Tech does seem like a good value IMO.

Retake

Ya, I know, it blows to wait a year. But rushing into this and ending up indebted with no job blows a whole lot more. I would retake until you hit 160 (at least) and then evaluate your options. It's hard to fathom until you're in the midst of the hiring process, but the job market is really tough right now. Taking a year off to do some research and improve your LSAT score could make a world of difference.

I mean, your GPA isn't even that bad for UT. You just need some work on the LSAT.

Incidentally, I teach LSAT in Austin, so feel free to PM me.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:12 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:Biglaw is going to be extraordinarily unlikely from any of those schools and none of the degrees are portable. I'm pulling this out of my rear to an extent, but I imagine the best chance to find some sort of employment would be from STCL or Denver strictly based on their proximity to an actual legal market. This gives you the opportunity to network and hustle.

This is the second thread I have seen where you pulled something out of your rear. How much stuff do you have in there? Is it all related to legal opportunities in Texas? Have you seen a doctor?

edit: I'm not being condescending or casting doubt on the quality of your input. Just making a butt joke.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:31 am

I would definitely retake with that GPA.

If not, SMU.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:53 am

Marionberry wrote:This is the second thread I have seen where you pulled something out of your rear. How much stuff do you have in there? Is it all related to legal opportunities in Texas? Have you seen a doctor?

edit: I'm not being condescending or casting doubt on the quality of your input. Just making a butt joke.

Haha. Nice catch. Maybe I should see a proctologist.

Seriously though, I'm just trying to emphasize that my information is based on opinion even though there is some legitimate thought behind it and shouldn't be taken as absolute truth. Too many OL's jump on here and spout bullshit they really have no idea about like it's gospel mainly as a means to make them feel better about the decisions they are making and it annoys the hell out of me. I'm not going to pretend like I know exactly how many employment opportunities there are in Odessa for new legal grads, but common sense tells me there aren't a ton and that small towns have alot of old money that isn't really eager to change hands. All of the schools OP has listed are probably in the "make your own luck" category. None are going to have enough name recognition or on campus recruiting as a means to really differentiate them. Hustlin' for a job will probably be necessary. Whether that's working pt during school at a firm for $8 an hour making coffee and stuffing envelopes, or getting out to bar association meetings and such. I think the advantage of going to school in a city you can work in would offer an enormous leg up.

Of course, retake is probably TCR here.

happy187

Postby happy187 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:56 pm

My numbers were very similar to yours and I am at STCL. I don't regret it at all. STCL places well in Houston and I am fine with that. I guess since I really want to stay in Houston it worked out for me.

fear&loathingintexas

Postby fear&loathingintexas » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:07 am

A degree from LSU is good if you want to work in Houston, but not anywhere else. As for those other out-of-state schools you mentioned, I wouldn't bother.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”