NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

NYU
51%
Penn
24%
Michigan
25%

Total votes: 76

nickipetea

NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby nickipetea » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Okay, so here's my situation. I just got accepted to Michigan and UVA, and I am waiting to hear from Harvard, Columbia, NYU, and Penn (from all that I have gathered, with my numbers/application I have a slight chance at Harvard, a decent chance at Columbia, and an even better chance at NYU and Penn--and it doesn't hurt that my mom is a Penn Law alum). I know that I want to practice in DC.

Harvard and Columbia are my top two choices (and UVA is out because I want to get out of my home state), but I feel that a very real possibility is that I will be accepted to only Penn and NYU out of the four, and after scouring the internet and these forums I still have no idea which I would choose between Michigan, Penn, and NYU. Moreover, it's been really hard for me to learn the nitty gritty of the differences between these schools, because so much of the material you find describing them and their strong points is THE SAME.

-Michigan is appealing because of Ann Arbor, because of the slightly lower cost (plus I have a wife and son at home and very little money, and this school is my only hope for need-based fin. aid because the other schools take parental income into account), and because I have heard such great things about it.

-Penn is appealing because of Philly (a city I am truly fond of, and it is close to our families in DC and our friends in NYC), because my mom had such a great experience there, and because I heard such great things about it. Plus the Ivy League thing doesn't hurt.

-NYU is appealing because of NYC (perhaps a crazy place for a little family, but I love Brooklyn and we could live near my best friends), because of the rank and the hipness factor, and because I have heard such great things about it (notice a trend?).

I have heard so many conflicting opinions about choosing one of these schools over another. Help!

I would love to hear as many different views as people are willing to offer.

(And again, DC is absolutely where I am headed afterwards.)
Last edited by nickipetea on Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Shooter

Re: NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby Shooter » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:48 pm

Are you interested in legal academia?

Are you interested in obtaining a joint degree?

At this point I think NYU or Penn (NYU because of prestige, Penn because of its proximity to DC).

nickipetea

Postby nickipetea » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:59 pm

I am neither interested in legal academia, nor am I interested in a joint degree. In fact, this touches on another of my difficulties--I have no idea what area of law most interests me (not because of sheer ignorance, but so many things are appealing). And I am fairly certain it will take a year or two of law school for me to know.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:06 pm

Hmmmm... How much do aesthetics matter? lol

frost

Postby frost » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:09 pm

You don't need to make a decision so soon. Wait it out and see if Mich really does give you money and if the others don't. I ended up going with a school that gave me much more money than expected when I was almost certain I would be going to a higher ranked school instead.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:45 pm

frost wrote:You don't need to make a decision so soon. Wait it out and see if Mich really does give you money and if the others don't. I ended up going with a school that gave me much more money than expected when I was almost certain I would be going to a higher ranked school instead.

This.

Although, if you actually end up with these schools, I suggest Michigan. From what I gathered around here, Michigan does give you the best shot competition wise at all major markets, and from my very own bias, I am deterred from going to schools in big cities like NYC and Philly (love their foods and urban culture though)

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:48 pm

This will be a much more productive discussion if and when you actually get into all these schools, especially after seeing how much money you get.

nickipetea

Postby nickipetea » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:52 pm

rad law wrote:This will be a much more productive discussion if and when you actually get into all these schools, especially after seeing how much money you get.

Perhaps you are right, but for now I am less concerned about acceptance and money issues (which will likely determine matters when the time comes) and more concerned with other's views of the schools in light of one another--particularly people who have chosen between them, and people who will.

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:02 pm

I voted Penn because u KNOW u want to be in DC, and I feel Penn's proximity to DC will probably work to your advantage during law school and during OCI/hiring. From the info i've gathered from my tenure on TLS, NYU=MVP when we r talking outside NYC, so with that in mind, I see no reason to attend NYU due to the substantially higher cost (COL) for comparable employment prospects.

Penn is also located relatively close to both family/friends, in a city u r fond of, which gives it an edge over Michigan in my mind (plus its Ivy status and little legacy u got goin on). Don't see any reason to go with Michigan unless they give u $, given the info u provided.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:09 pm

^ LOl at that avatar.

OP I'm sure you already know this but just to hammer it in; if you get into Harvard you have no choice but to attend as a result of your interest in DC. I don't care what kind of money the other schools offer you, you have to go to Harvard if you are accepted and are still interested in DC. Harvard and Yale run DC.

Outside of that, just go to whoever gives you the biggest scholarship out of NYU, Michigan, or Penn. For working in DC it really won't matter which of the 3 you attend. Just go to the cheapest. Like the above poster said, that proabably won't be NYU because of the COL. I would lean towards Michigan since they have a strong LRAP and you probably won't have a lot of competition for DC jobs (although you miss out on the networking opportunities that come from being located near DC that UVA has). Michigan's cost of living is low too. That's a great combo.

If you get into Columbia and the money isn't too different go there over NYU, Michigan, or Penn. They have a fabulous LRAP and they have a stronger reputation in DC than the the other 3.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:11 pm

BruceWayne wrote:^ LOl at that avatar.

OP I'm sure you already know this but just to hammer it in; if you get into Harvard you have no choice but to attend as a result of your interest in DC. I don't care what kind of money the other schools offer you, you have to go to Harvard if you are accepted and are still interested in DC. Harvard and Yale run DC.

Outside of that, just go to whoever gives you the biggest scholarship out of NYU, Michigan, or Penn. For working in DC it really won't matter which of the 3 you attend. Just go to the cheapest. Like the above poster said, that proabably won't be NYU because of the COL. I would lean towards Michigan since they have a strong LRAP and you probably won't have a lot of competition for DC jobs (although you miss out on the networking opportunities that come from being located near DC that UVA has).

If you get into Columbia and the money isn't too different go there over NYU, Michigan, or Penn. They have a fabulous LRAP and they have a stronger reputation in DC than the the other 3.

I second the LOL. LeBron is a joke and that commercial made me laugh.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:26 pm

mrmangs wrote:

Outside of that, just go to whoever gives you the biggest scholarship out of NYU, Michigan, or Penn. For working in DC it really won't matter which of the 3 you attend. Just go to the cheapest. Like the above poster said, that proabably won't be NYU because of the COL. I would lean towards Michigan since they have a strong LRAP and you probably won't have a lot of competition for DC jobs (although you miss out on the networking opportunities that come from being located near DC that UVA has).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JePsAkAD7DU :lol:

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:32 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
mrmangs wrote:

Unfortunately, my audio is broken here at work. This looks extremely promising though. :lol:

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:26 pm

nickipetea wrote:Okay, so here's my situation. I just got accepted to Michigan and UVA, and I am waiting to hear from Harvard, Columbia, NYU, and Penn (from all that I have gathered, with my numbers/application I have a decent chance at Harvard, a good chance at Columbia, and an even better chance at NYU and Penn--and it doesn't hurt that my mom is a Penn Law alum).

I'd say your chances are almost a lock for NYU and Penn, but slim at Columbia and certainly out at Harvard. Only 3 LSN applicants got into Columbia with similar numbers, but they had excellent softs (one Ivy UG, one HYP UG, and one also got into Stanford). Similarly, only one HYP UG got into Harvard with similar numbers.

I'd cross out Penn and choose between NYU and Michigan. NYU for more prestige but high COL, vs Michigan for lower COL (they'll likely give you a $15k/year merit scholarship).

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:29 pm

mrmangs wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
mrmangs wrote:

Unfortunately, my audio is broken here at work. This looks extremely promising though. :lol:

lol i'm glad u guys enjoy it - I highly encourage u to watch this as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xoLB1d47O0

its just south park's mock of the commercial, and just heads up, the guy u'll c at first is Tony Hayward, the CEO of BP.

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:32 pm

im_blue wrote:
nickipetea wrote:Okay, so here's my situation. I just got accepted to Michigan and UVA, and I am waiting to hear from Harvard, Columbia, NYU, and Penn (from all that I have gathered, with my numbers/application I have a decent chance at Harvard, a good chance at Columbia, and an even better chance at NYU and Penn--and it doesn't hurt that my mom is a Penn Law alum).

I'd say your chances are almost a lock for NYU and Penn, but slim at Columbia and certainly out at Harvard. Only 3 LSN applicants got into Columbia with similar numbers, but they had excellent softs (one Ivy UG, one HYP UG, and one also got into Stanford). Similarly, only one HYP UG got into Harvard with similar numbers.

I'd cross out Penn and choose between NYU and Michigan. NYU for more prestige but high COL, vs Michigan for lower COL (they'll likely give you a $15k/year merit scholarship).

Honestly, u think that's the way to go? I'm pretty sure Penn>NYU if we r talkin prestige, but i dont rly wanna get into THAT discussion too much. I'm also thinkin Penn>=NYU for DC placement. Since Penn would b cheaper for u, P>N in your case just makes so much sense. Didn't c ur #s, but if ur good for $ at M, then yea...enjoy ann arbor, son.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:37 pm

fugitivejammer wrote:
im_blue wrote:

Honestly, u think that's the way to go? I'm pretty sure Penn>NYU if we r talkin prestige, but i dont rly wanna get into THAT discussion too much. I'm also thinkin Penn>=NYU for DC placement. Since Penn would b cheaper for u, P>N in your case just makes so much sense. Didn't c ur #s, but if ur good for $ at M, then yea...enjoy ann arbor, son.

We're talking about law school. NYU > Penn for prestige.

I'd choose between NYU and Michigan as well. You're going to need to be at least top 1/3 at any of these schools to get DC biglaw.

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:05 pm

irishman86 wrote:
fugitivejammer wrote:
im_blue wrote:

I'd choose between NYU and Michigan as well. You're going to need to be at least top 1/3 at any of these schools to get DC biglaw.

So what exactly composes "prestige" amongst law schools? Would it be something like peer ratings or judge ratings and such? I don't have exact numbers on those, but I think P was a peer school to NYU on that criteria - am i mistaken?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:11 am

irishman86 wrote:
fugitivejammer wrote:
im_blue wrote:

If we're talking about non NYC firm jobs then NYU is not > Penn for prestige. In DC it simply won't matter (which is what the OP wants).

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:53 am

Whichever is the cheapest to attend.

If they are roughly the same price, then whichever you like better when you visit.

dbrddr

Postby dbrddr » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:44 am

nickipetea wrote:UVA is out because I want to get out of my home state

plz withdraw? :p

nickipetea

Postby nickipetea » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:55 am

dbrddr wrote:
nickipetea wrote:UVA is out because I want to get out of my home state

plz withdraw? :p

Ooo, I meant "get out" as in get out and explore the world more--we are solid Northern Virginians through and through, so we will be there the whole rest of our lives afterwards!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:20 am

I'm a solid advocate of going to the best school you get into. If you manage NYU but not CLS or Harvard then I say NYU. I don't think NYU is lacking in DC firms at its OCI, but I could be wrong. DC is going to be competitive no matter where you go.

That being said, I think the wrench in the decision is your family. It's not the monetary aspect but more lifestyle/schools. Where would your wife and son be most comfortable? I think this should be one of the biggest factors when picking between comparable schools.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:22 am

BruceWayne wrote: If we're talking about non NYC firm jobs then NYU is not > Penn for prestige. In DC it simply won't matter (which is what the OP wants).

I was speaking generally.

For DC, I'd choose between Mich and NYU. Both get more DC firms at OCI than Penn and you're going to need to be in the top 25% at any of these schools to get DC biglaw.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:23 am

NYU no contest.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”