dual degrees info on UK and Hong Kong

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
voice of 2010

dual degrees info on UK and Hong Kong

Postby voice of 2010 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:02 am

Hi,

I was wondering does anyone here know of any colleges in the U.S that offer dual degrees with UK and Hong Kong or maybe China? Dual degree or Double degree I mean that you can actually practice law in the UK, Hong Kong or China with the law license you obtain in the U.S. A official license or a degree that is recognize in Uk, Hong Kong or China not some degree that is only recognize in the U.S. Does any one know of any colleges that is planning on doing this in the near future or offering it at this moment? Any information is greatly appreciate.

athena1700

Re: dual degrees info on UK and Hong Kong

Postby athena1700 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:29 am

hello,
Well this is my first time posting so do apoloize in advance if i break any unspoken rules of this board!
As for the question i know that Columbia univeristy has a joint program 4 year program with 3 different london schools, i believe they are kings college, london school of econmics, and one more which at the moment i do not remember, but check the site out. i also believe that they have a program with a french college. Cornell University has a program which is with a French College as well. I know that both univeristy programs allow the graduate to take the bar exams of America as well as the country in which they did their dual degree in. i do hope this helps and if you find any more schools with programs please let me know.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:58 am

I know this from BU. You can earn a LLM in Chinese law after 2 semesters abroad at Tsinghua University. Not sure about UK though.

http://www.bu.edu/law/prospective/jd/abroad/china.html

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:28 am

The University of British Columbia has a dual law degree that will allow you to practice in Canada, Hong Kong, and interestingly, in the U.S. as well. You have to stay in school for 4 years though because Hong Kong has some sort of apprenticeship program you have to do for a year after school, and Canada has the same.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:34 am

After working for two years you can take the qualified lawyer transfer test and be qualified in the UK(although there are some restrictions and I think you have had to have done something related to English law). This is probably quicker than a dual degree, especially since the other option would mean having to do the LPC and training contract on top of your LLB(add three years on before youre qualified vs working for two and just taking the test) to qualify in the UK --LinkRemoved--

expatHK

Postby expatHK » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:15 am

There are schools that offer study abroad with uni.'s in the UK and HK. I attended a HK university for my LL.M in Intl Law although in order to practice in HK you need to have a J.D. from one of their universities or you could practice for a couple 2,3 yrs in the States then take the HK bar. With regard to PRC, I have a couple of (Chinese) friends that are attorneys there and from what I understand, you must have an LL.B in order to even be qualified to take their bar. Furthermore I suspect (unlike HK & for obvious reasons too), one must be quite familiar with Mandarin if you want to practice in Mainland. :(

voice of 2010

Postby voice of 2010 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi athena1700,

I have been in contact with Columbia University already. From my understanding you can practice law in the UK but you would need to find a company in the U.S that will allow you to stay in the Uk. You do not receive a recognize license in the Uk at least in their standards. This is what the Columbia admission told me.

Thanks for the info.

Hi tea_drinker,
Thanks for your information. I need to contact BU for more information and to find out if the LLM is recognized in China?

Hi niederbomb,
I have not really looked into the Canada area thank for letting me know.

Hi sophie316,
Just wondering how did you worked in the UK for two years practicing law? How did you get started? If I received my JD here in the U.S how can I go to the UK and practice for 2 yrs? Does the Uk allow people with a JD to practice in the Uk?

Hi expatHK,
I am a bit confused about what exactly do you mean when you say that you need to have a J.D from one of the universities. Do you mean the U.S or H.K? Also, I have looked into one of the HK university and the Hk bar. It appears based on your J.D degree background they will need to do some conversion. Then they will determine if you need to take PCLL in the HK or take addition course before entering. To me it sound like a lot of years and work before you can practice in the HK. Unless I am confused with what you are mentioning with something else.

Thanks for all you help.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:56 pm

voice of 2010 wrote:Hi athena1700,

I have been in contact with Columbia University already. From my understanding you can practice law in the UK but you would need to find a company in the U.S that will allow you to stay in the Uk. You do not receive a recognize license in the Uk at least in their standards. This is what the Columbia admission told me.

Hi sophie316,
Just wondering how did you worked in the UK for two years practicing law? How did you get started? If I received my JD here in the U.S how can I go to the UK and practice for 2 yrs? Does the Uk allow people with a JD to practice in the Uk?

To become a solictor/barrister in the UK is a three stage process: academic stage, LPC, training contract. If you did this joint degree: http://www.law.columbia.edu/center_prog ... ree/LLB_JD (not the JD/LLM) it counts for the academic stage, but you'd still have to do the LPC and training contract to be a solicitor or the bar and a pupillage to be a barrister.

I'm still in law school so I havent actually done any of this yet but depending on where you go to school you can practice in the UK as a US trained lawyer. Some british firms hire directly and many US firms have London offices. You'd be practicing american law though and this limits the areas you can practice in in London. However I do not believe it is hard to become a solicitor if you've passed the NY bar(reading the regulations it seems like they've gotten rid of the 2 year requirement and just do a series of tests and simulations to see if you are qualified)

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:00 pm

A few schools do have programs too with schools in the UK. Harvard, UT, and WUSTL come to mind but there are likely more -- I haven't looked into it too hard.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:29 am

expatHK wrote:

There are schools that offer study abroad with uni.'s in the UK and HK. I attended a HK university for my LL.M in Intl Law although in order to practice in HK you need to have a J.D. from one of their universities or you could practice for a couple 2,3 yrs in the States then take the HK bar.

Study abroad does not qualify you to practice in HK. As you said, you would still have to practice in the U.S. for 2-3 years first, and that's not nearly enough time to pay off $250,000 in loans (since even a 4.0 180 is probably not going to get a full tuition scholarship at a school prestigious enough to be recognized in HK).

Also, foreigners practicing law in the PRC is not a realistic option; to do so, as a foreigner, you have to pass a bar exam that 80% of practicing Chinese lawyers fail. They aren't required to pass for some odd reason...

If you want to practice in Hong Kong, forget the dual degree; just go to HKU and do their two-year JD at a much cheaper price.

With that said, I'm curious as to whether a U.S. citizen would be able to stay to work in HK after graduation. As I recall, when I looked into it briefly last year, HK has some pretty damned strict requirements for permanent residency. You have to live there for 7 years prior, and in the meantime, you have to find an employer who will sponsor you on a work visa.

Not sure I'd be willing to risk NOT finding a sponsor and/or ending up in a shitty job unequal to my grades.

The best deal I've come across is the University of British Columbia (2 years) and HKU (1 year) dual degree. That way, you can be qualified to PRACTICE both places, and you'd always have Vancouver as a fall-back option (and not an unpleasant one at that).

Any thoughts on this?

voice of 2010

Postby voice of 2010 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:04 pm

Replying to:

sophie316,
Do you actually know exactly or about how many years it will take to do the LPC and training contract to be a solicitor or the bar and a pupillage to be a barrister?

AreJay711,
I have looked into some of the schools you mention but it does not seem to have what I want.

niederbomb,
That sound rather terrible since about 80% of Chinese lawyers failed the exam. I might need to rethink this over.

If I do go to HK I am not really sure what degree would I fall under since its not called a J.D I believe and I do not want to waste more money and time overseas. I really want to do something between U.S and Hk not really if I want to stay permanently.

I am surprise that you need to lived in Hk 7 yrs to become a permanent residency even if I did go to Hk to get the degree. I will seriously need to go home and probably become jobless.

Finding the sponsor it mainly the hardest thing when you go overseas to practice law.

I looked into the dual program you mention but I am not sure if the HK PCLL is any different from the law degree the residents in HK earn as well? Also, you mention early that you can practice law in the U.S and Canada as well. From what I know you can practice law in the U.S with the Canada JD degree I believe only in a few states. I am not really sure how it is now. Would you happen to know if there are any restrictions in the U.S?

Thanks again for all your feedback

flyhigh_

Postby flyhigh_ » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:53 am

Texas has programmes with The University of Nottingham, University of Edinburgh. Attending one of these UK schools will award you an LLM.

Then you also have at Texas the semester in London with University College of London and Queen Mary, University of London.

expatHK

Postby expatHK » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:45 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”