If you want work in a certain region... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RVP11

Gold

Re: If you want work in a certain region...

Post by RVP11 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:20 pm

FlanAl wrote:my guess would be that pretty soon the opposite is going to be true for a few schools in the t-14. i'd think we'd see the chicago and dc schools place less regionally than before because those markets are getting so slammed. we'll probably see a lot of georgetown all over the place and not so heavy into dc and my guess is that its one of the t14's people see as regional.
You're touching on something a lot of 2Ls at T14s noticed this year. Getting interviews/callbacks was surprisingly easy in markets very far away from your school, and surprisingly difficult in the nearby markets. The exception is NYC, where it's generally easy to get interviews/callbacks no matter which T14 you attend.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:58 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Panther7 wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Panther7 wrote:If you know what region you want to work in, go to the best school in that region and find summer jobs in that region. Seriously. It's that simple.
Again, if you want to work at a BIG FIRM, it's not that simple.

Say you wanted to work at a big firm in Denver, and you have Denver ties.

Would it be smarter to attend CU or a T14? The T14, by a landslide.
Then go to a Cali school and get summer jobs in Denver. TA-DA!!! It's not rocket science.
How are California and Colorado the same region? What are you trying to say?

Your earlier statement would suggest that someone who knows they want to practice in Colorado should always attend Colorado for law school, even if they want to work for a big firm. That's wrong.

Stop reading it so literal. I'm not saying to go to Colorado over Berkeley, but if I knew I wanted Denver, I'd definitely take Colorado over say... Cornell.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Panther7 wrote:but if I knew I wanted Denver, I'd definitely take Colorado over say... Cornell.
That'd be the wrong decision if you wanted Denver BigLaw.

And why would you go to Colorado over Cornell but not Colorado over Berkeley? You still seem to be insinuating that California and Colorado are somehow linked.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:02 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Panther7 wrote:but if I knew I wanted Denver, I'd definitely take Colorado over say... Cornell.

And why would you go to Colorado over Cornell but not Colorado over Berkeley? You still seem to be insinuating that California and Colorado are somehow linked.

Condescending much? You must be right, what the fuck do I know?

Hope you enjoy being a pompous asshole the rest of your life. I'm gonna go drink away my stress now, enjoy jerking off to your own posts. I know you're dying to have the last word, so I'll be the non-douchebag and let you have it.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:11 pm

Panther7 wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Condescending much? You must be right, what the fuck do I know?

Hope you enjoy being a pompous asshole the rest of your life. I'm gonna go drink away my stress now, enjoy jerking off to your own posts. I know you're dying to have the last word, so I'll be the non-douchebag and let you have it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:30 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Panther7 wrote:If you know what region you want to work in, go to the best school in that region and find summer jobs in that region. Seriously. It's that simple.

I'm really interested in hearing more about this, because having spoken with a bunch of attorneys in Denver (and being local), I've heard Denver BigLaw goes: HYS................CCNB.....CU.....T14....DU.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:54 pm

Kretzy wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

I'm really interested in hearing more about this, because having spoken with a bunch of attorneys in Denver (and being local), I've heard Denver BigLaw goes: HYS................CCNB.....CU.....T14....DU.
Spend some time looking at firm bios of people at Sherman & Howard, Holland & Hart, Holme Roberts & Owen, Davis Graham, etc. My guess is you'll see a lot of CU and DU Law Review and a lot of T14ers without Law Review or graduation honors. That should tell you something.

I know someone from my T14 who got Denver BigLaw with sub-median grades. Even when the economy was good, virtually no one below median from CU was getting that level of job.

I question why these "bunch of attorneys in Denver" would say that Berkeley > other T14s. Looking at firms like WTO, H&H, and S&H, you'll probably find just as many, if not more attorneys from MVP than from B.

Also, according to NALP, here's where the main Denver-based firms recruited on campus:

Sherman:
Duke University School of Law
Northwestern University School of Law
University of Colorado School of Law
University of Denver College of Law
University of Iowa College of Law
University of Michigan Law School
University of Minnesota Law School
University of Texas School of Law
University of Virginia School of Law
Washington University School of Law

HRO:
Harvard Law School
Northwestern University School of Law
Stanford Law School
University of Colorado School of Law
University of Denver College of Law
University of Virginia School of Law

To my knowledge, H&H and WTO don't go to Berkeley OCI, either. I find it quite surprising that your panel of Denver attorneys would throw Berkeley out there as a top placer in Denver. I doubt firms in Denver are really holding different standards for lower T14 schools, but even if they are, it doesn't seem to be in favor of Berkeley.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:25 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Spend some time looking at firm bios of people at Sherman & Howard, Holland & Hart, Holme Roberts & Owen, Davis Graham, etc. My guess is you'll see a lot of CU and DU Law Review and a lot of T14ers without Law Review or graduation honors. That should tell you something.

I know someone from my T14 who got Denver BigLaw with sub-median grades. Even when the economy was good, virtually no one below median from CU was getting that level of job.
That's interesting. I'm pretty sure I want to head back to Denver post-grad, so it's good to hear alternative perspectives.

The lawyers I've known in Denver always seemed particularly fond of Boalt. It seemed that the surest paths to Denver BigLaw (and, selfishly, I'm hoping this is still the case) were to be local and go to a T6, or to go to CU/DU and do well.

Anyway, /threadjack about Denver.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:38 pm

Kretzy wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

That's interesting. I'm pretty sure I want to head back to Denver post-grad, so it's good to hear alternative perspectives.

The lawyers I've known in Denver always seemed particularly fond of Boalt. It seemed that the surest paths to Denver BigLaw (and, selfishly, I'm hoping this is still the case) were to be local and go to a T6, or to go to CU/DU and do well.

Anyway, /threadjack about Denver.
I don't think there's an appreciable difference between T6 and T14 when it comes to Denver (or any secondary market in the country, for that matter). People above median with Denver ties aren't struggling to get big firm jobs there from the lower T14.

If you're going to SLS, you'll be more than fine. If you interview well you'll have no problem getting a job at one of the top firms in Denver (A&P, GDC, PB, WTO - the ones who pay above market).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:39 pm

RVP11 wrote:
thisguy456 wrote:And in that regard I don't think it's too outlandish or asinine to consider some schools even in the T14 to behave more regionally than others.
I'll be shocked if you can find a 2L/3L at any T14 who agrees.
Even Cornell? I understand self selection and all that, but very few firms outside of the NE do OCI there relative to the rest of the t14. That has to count for something, right?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:42 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
thisguy456 wrote:And in that regard I don't think it's too outlandish or asinine to consider some schools even in the T14 to behave more regionally than others.
Even Cornell? I understand self selection and all that, but very few firms outside of the NE do OCI there relative to the rest of the t14. That has to count for something, right?
It counts for something, yes. I would throw Cornell out there as a possible exception. But I imagine they have some success with mass-mailing and outside of the OCI disparity aren't doing appreciably worse in places like California than similarly ranked schools. And note that, if you're trying to get a job outside one of the top 10 or SO Legal markets in the country, you NEED to be mass-mailing. Smaller market firms aren't traveling very far to do OCI, but they love to interview (and call back) T14 students with legitimate interest in them.

Silver

Post by 2807 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:48 pm

Kind-of on topic here...

If you want to work in CA but go to UNLV is it reasonable to think you can come back to your ties in CA for summer extern/intern work and networking?

Then just drive back UNLV for classes during the semesters?

I could easily do this, and it seems like UNLV is a much better name and ranked school than my local T4

thisguy456

Bronze

Post by thisguy456 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:59 am

RVP11 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
It counts for something, yes. I would throw Cornell out there as a possible exception. But I imagine they have some success with mass-mailing and outside of the OCI disparity aren't doing appreciably worse in places like California than similarly ranked schools. And note that, if you're trying to get a job outside one of the top 10 or so legal markets in the country, you NEED to be mass-mailing. Smaller market firms aren't traveling very far to do OCI, but they love to interview (and call back) T14 students with legitimate interest in them.
Thanks for agreeing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”