UT worth it for non-residents?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Is UT worth it for non-residents?

Yes, at sticker.
39%
Yes, with money.
50%
No, unless full ride.
4%
No.
7%

Total votes: 46

buckilaw

UT worth it for non-residents?

Postby buckilaw » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:43 pm

Is UT worth it for non-residents? From what I've heard the Texas legal market is very insular and non-residents may have a hard(er) time landing a job.

JazzOne

Re: UT worth it for non-residents?

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:45 pm

I don't think very many schools are worth sticker, but UT is one of the least expensive schools in the T1. For OOS though, you need money IMO.

I don't think the Texas markets are too tough if you're willing to go to Dallas or Houston. If you want a secondary market, hahahahahah.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:48 pm

Thanks.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:38 am

Ummm i dont know about needing to be a resident to take advantage of the texas market. I think you just need "Ties" and i feel like completing your JD in Texas gives you those ties

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:44 am

is it possible to land a biglaw job in texas if one went to a texas undergrad but then went to CCN for law school?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:46 am

It doesn't look that hard to establish residency for tuition purposes. All you need to do is "start a business" in the state. It will cost you a bit by double taxing your income but you could use this to get in state residency after 1 year. I was thinking maybe a tutoring biz or something -- idk if this would actually work but it'd be worth a shot.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:47 am

$1.99 wrote:is it possible to land a biglaw job in texas if one went to a texas undergrad but then went to CCN for law school?

Probably, but you'd have to do the mass mailing bit because many of the Texas firms won't recruit at CCN.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:49 am

AreJay711 wrote:It doesn't look that hard to establish residency for tuition purposes. All you need to do is "start a business" in the state. It will cost you a bit by double taxing your income but you could use this to get in state residency after 1 year. I was thinking maybe a tutoring biz or something -- idk if this would actually work but it'd be worth a shot.

I think there's an even bigger loophole pertaining to property ownership. You just need to own property in Texas, and you can become a resident. Someone was recently talking about doing some kind of sale with a reversionary interest. I don't know if that's gonna fly or not, but if you wanted to buy a little house in Texas, that could definitely lower your tuition if you're from another state.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:56 am

JazzOne wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:It doesn't look that hard to establish residency for tuition purposes. All you need to do is "start a business" in the state. It will cost you a bit by double taxing your income but you could use this to get in state residency after 1 year. I was thinking maybe a tutoring biz or something -- idk if this would actually work but it'd be worth a shot.

I think there's an even bigger loophole pertaining to property ownership. You just need to own property in Texas, and you can become a resident. Someone was recently talking about doing some kind of sale with a reversionary interest. I don't know if that's gonna fly or not, but if you wanted to buy a little house in Texas, that could definitely lower your tuition if you're from another state.

Might as well use your 1L education right? lol

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:57 am

$1.99 wrote:is it possible to land a biglaw job in texas if one went to a texas undergrad but then went to CCN for law school?

Help me jazzone!

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:07 am

JazzOne wrote:

Plus I'm sure you could get like a 1 bedroom apartment somewhere in the Austin area for like $50k. $40k mortgage over 15 years is like $400, and I'm sure you could get that in rent later. Now if only you could get a bank to loan you that much with no job or assets....

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:08 am

I have long lobbied for UT and Vandy to jump GULC in the rankings. UT is an absolute powerhouse and I really wouldnt mind going there at sticker unless I got decent money at a school like BC,BU, or Fordham.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:24 am

$1.99 wrote:

Help me jazzone!

I replied to this above. It's definitely possible. You just won't be able to rely exclusively on OCI. You'll have to do the mass mail to Texas firms. However, I met a Chicago girl at a call-back in Dallas, so Texas firms are not entirely insular. I think you'll have to sell the firms on the idea that you actually want to come back. That shouldn't be too tough if you're from Texas.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:26 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Plus I'm sure you could get like a 1 bedroom apartment somewhere in the Austin area for like $50k. $40k mortgage over 15 years is like $400, and I'm sure you could get that in rent later. Now if only you could get a bank to loan you that much with no job or assets....

I don't think you could get property for that kind of price near campus. Perhaps on the east side of town or something like that. I agree with your general idea; I just wanted to make it clear that $50K isn't going to happen anyway near campus.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:30 pm

JazzOne wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I don't think you could get property for that kind of price near campus. Perhaps on the east side of town or something like that. I agree with your general idea; I just wanted to make it clear that $50K isn't going to happen anyway near campus.

Being in TX will require a car and a commute to campus unless you live in the dorms anyways...event at $100k you a 30 year mortgage is like $500.
Last edited by motiontodismiss on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:32 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:Being in TX will required a car and a commute to campus unless you live in the dorms anyways...

:?

I live in Hyde Park, and the UT shuttle runs regularly a few blocks from my house. HEB is another few blocks from there. I'm actually trying to sell my car because I don't need it. Want to buy a gently used 2007 Infiniti G35? I never raced it. Black paint, looks terrific. Got the 19" wheels. Think about it.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:33 pm

JazzOne wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:Being in TX will required a car and a commute to campus unless you live in the dorms anyways...

I live in Hyde Park, and the UT shuttle runs regularly a few blocks from my house. HEB is another few blocks from there. I'm actually trying to sell my car because I don't need it. Want to buy a gently used 2007 Infiniti G35? I never raced it. Black paint, looks terrific. Got the 19" wheels. Think about it.

Nah, don't have $30k to drop on a car.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:34 pm

JazzOne wrote:

If I end up choosing UT, that is the exact car I want to buy (well actually an '05 because they are cheaper hah). How much are you lookin to sell it for?

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:37 pm

why would you think of purchasing real estate just to get instate tuition? You will end up paying just as much, if not more for it.( dont forget insurance, taxes and upkeep)

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:46 pm

northwood wrote:why would you think of purchasing real estate just to get instate tuition? You will end up paying just as much, if not more for it.( dont forget insurance, taxes and upkeep)

Idk the local laws about subdividing land but you could make good money buying 30 acres in the middle of nowhere and breaking it up into 1/8th acre lots and selling it to students looking for instate tuition. I guarantee there is an easier way to do it for just yourself if you don't have the cash to buy a real house (like the business).

If you have some cash, or a SO with a job, buying a house in this market isn't a bad idea.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:48 pm

northwood wrote:why would you think of purchasing real estate just to get instate tuition? You will end up paying just as much, if not more for it.( dont forget insurance, taxes and upkeep)

You have to pay rent either way. I suppose if you're singleyou can get a tiny apartment or some roommates, but some students are nontrads. I have a fiancé and two dogs living with me. If I was from OOS, I might have considered purchasing property to live on for three years. Property values are doing relatively well in Austin. Lots of growth here.

It's not the right move for everyone, but it could work. Plus, there's no minimum amount of land. Someone else had the idea of dividing up some cheap property for this exact loophole.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:11 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

If I end up choosing UT, that is the exact car I want to buy (well actually an '05 because they are cheaper hah). How much are you lookin to sell it for?

I just want the Blue Book private party value. I've done some highway driving, so it has a few miles on it (45K). I want $21K for it (firm). Has had all the recommended maintenance. Still has a bit of warranty left, but not much.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:44 pm

FYI, all, the property loophole is closed as of next year's incoming class, from what I understand. If you're thinking about entering UT in 2011, do your research before dropping a bundle on a scheme to gain residency.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:45 pm

philosoraptor wrote:FYI, all, the property loophole is closed as of next year's incoming class, from what I understand. If you're thinking about entering UT in 2011, do your research before dropping a bundle on a scheme to gain residency.

Good to know. Thanks for the update.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:07 pm

JazzOne wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:FYI, all, the property loophole is closed as of next year's incoming class, from what I understand. If you're thinking about entering UT in 2011, do your research before dropping a bundle on a scheme to gain residency.

Good to know. Thanks for the update.

Property isnt always the way to go with UT. They make it very easy for someone to gte residency after one year, as long as you are willing to put in time and effort to get it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”