Is a Vanderbilt JD regional? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
beachbum

Gold

Re: Is a Vanderbilt JD regional?

Post by beachbum » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:42 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Informative wrote:Vandy is a super-regional school, by which I mean it is better than a regional school but slightly less than national. It will give you some good opportunities by name recognition in the entire south. It may not get you a summer position at Skadden in NYC, but it can help get you into Atlanta, DC, and other major southern markets.

There are only a few schools that are superregional like this.
BC in the northeast
GW in the mid-atlantic
ND in the midwest
USC/UCLA on the west coast

These schools will be able to open a lot of doors in the larger geographic region associated with them. Their students aren't limited to market they generally feed into.
Oh, so Vanderbilt can help you break into DC, a notoriously difficult market while simultaneously keeping you out of NY, the easiest market to break into. No. Just... no.
Agreed. Also seems strange (wrong) to group Vandy with BC/GW/ND. And where's Texas?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:45 pm

Informative wrote:Vandy is a super-regional school, by which I mean it is better than a regional school but slightly less than national. It will give you some good opportunities by name recognition in the entire south. It may not get you a summer position at Skadden in NYC, but it can help get you into Atlanta, DC, and other major southern markets.
Not really. Recent trends show that Vandy has been pretty good in the South and Eastern Seaboard, including NYC and DC (to the extent that any school is "good" at getting people jobs in DC), plus the places that people who go here have ties to. Plurality of grads last yr. actually took the NY bar.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:47 pm

BC in the northeast
GW in the mid-atlantic
ND in the midwest

These schools will be able to open a lot of doors in the larger geographic region associated with them. Their students aren't limited to market they generally feed into.
blatant skadden trolling

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:50 pm

BC in the northeast
GW in the mid-atlantic
ND in the midwest

No state attracts more than 20% of Vandy grads each year. The majority of students do not stay in the South. More firms from each of CA, D.C., and N.Y. come to Vandy's OCI than from, say, Atlanta. With the exception of lay prestige, I fail to see how Vandy is regional. Vandy's broad disbursement has been its competitive advantage ITE. I think a flawed premise that a lot of TLS relies on is that US News ranking corresponds to national placement. It just doesn't work that way. Cornell is ranked 13, but by all metrics a regional school; while GULC at 14 has as broad a placement potential as any school in the country.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:59 pm

BC/BU in the northeast
GW in the mid-atlantic
ND in the midwest

FTFY

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Is this still going on? Clearly this isn't something that has an indisputable answer, and I think there's plenty of info this thread for a reader to make their own distinction.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:36 pm

Texas would be included but the state of texas is so large that the entire region is still one state. I think you can consider Texas and entire region though, given its size and multiple internal markets.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”