Is a Vanderbilt JD regional? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gbpackerbacker

Silver

Is a Vanderbilt JD regional?

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Is a Vandy JD more regional or portable? If it is portable, where do Vanderbilt grads have a chance of ending up? Is there a good chance at NYC BigLaw for their graduates?

It does seem like the oddball in the 10-20's....

Gold

Re: Is a Vanderbilt JD regional?

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:18 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:Is a Vandy JD more regional or portable? If it is portable, where do Vanderbilt grads have a chance of ending up? Is there a good chance at NYC BigLaw for their graduates?

How so?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:22 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:Is a Vandy JD more regional or portable? If it is portable, where do Vanderbilt grads have a chance of ending up? Is there a good chance at NYC BigLaw for their graduates?

Law's all regional; there isn't really a "portable vs. not" distinction. But based on what I know from past hiring, don't try to take it out West and you should be good. Plurality of grads took NY bar last year I think. But employers down South love Vandy grads, I know that for sure.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:24 am

rad law wrote:

Law's all regional; there isn't really a "portable vs. not" distinction. But based on what I know from past hiring, don't try to take it out West and you should be good. Plurality of grads took NY bar last year I think. But employers down South love Vandy grads, I know that for sure.
This guy should know what hes talking about here lol.

Still curious about Vandy being the oddball in the 10-20's?

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:27 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
rad law wrote:

Subtle WUSTL, USC, GWU, and Minnesota trolling?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:31 am

skoobily doobily wrote:
rad law wrote:

Really? I dont even know if OP means that Vandy is >/< T14 (actual distinction) schools.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:35 am

skoobily doobily wrote:
rad law wrote:

Seems like OP mean it's not as regional as those you just mentioned, but it's also not as national as the t14.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:36 am

Vandy places well into NYC, Texas, Atlanta, TN, and the rest of the South.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:07 am

im_blue wrote:Vandy places well into NYC, Texas, Atlanta, TN, and the rest of the South.
Texas? I have heard otherwise, but you may be correct.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:10 am

im_blue wrote:Vandy places well into NYC, Texas, Atlanta, TN, and the rest of the South.
Assuming you have ties to Texas, of course, but that's true of any T14 as well.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:17 am

im_blue wrote:
Assuming you have ties to Texas, of course, but that's true of any T14 as well.
Yea i guess you really need to have ties to come back. I have heard that UT and UVA do really well in Texas (havent heard anything about Vandy doing well around here)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:17 am

There was some decent/good DC '09 placement too back in the day, but who the fuck knows now.

I guess the best way to think about Vandy regional vs. national is that it can get you jobs in the South and Eastern seaboard, but you may have better options from other schools you could get into with numbers that will get you into Vandy. Say you got a 169/3.8 or something like that. You could theoretically snag maybe Mich, Cornell, GULC, and Vandy. Vandy does fine in NY, but Cornell and Mich may be better options depending on how much scholarship money you get (since Vandy loves throwing money at people). Sort of an analogous situation for GULC/DC. But if you wanted to just stay in the South, Vandy would be a fine choice here.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:24 am

I've heard some TLSers label it as a semi-national school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:27 am

JOThompson wrote:I've heard some TLSers label it as a semi-national school.
UCLA, UT, Vandy all have a good name and reputation that could be considered semi-national but definitely more powerful in their respective region

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:29 am

How so?
Vandy's medians are pretty high so in that respect they stand out a bit.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:30 am

By oddball, I meant out of place. If you asked me to name 20 schools to correctly guess the six top 20s out of the T14, I would have hit all those other schools, but I don't think that I would have guessed Vandy (before I started researching law schools a few years ago). I mean the other schools are either big name schools and/or in big cities (UCLA, UT, USC) or well-known for their other academic institutions (Wash U). Vandy just seemed to be an odd ball.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:33 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:By oddball, I meant out of place. If you asked me to name 20 schools to correctly guess the six top 20s out of the T14, I would have hit all those other schools, but I don't think that I would have guessed Vandy (before I started researching law schools a few years ago). I mean the other schools are either big name schools and/or in big cities (UCLA, UT, USC) or well-known for their other academic institutions (Wash U). Vandy just seemed to be an odd ball.
Ehh this is interesting because i feel like even in laymans terms (which dont matter at all) Vandy has a pretty good name.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:45 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:By oddball, I meant out of place. If you asked me to name 20 schools to correctly guess the six top 20s out of the T14, I would have hit all those other schools, but I don't think that I would have guessed Vandy (before I started researching law schools a few years ago). I mean the other schools are either big name schools and/or in big cities (UCLA, UT, USC) or well-known for their other academic institutions (Wash U). Vandy just seemed to be an odd ball.
It's a regional thing. I'm from the south and I'd never even heard of WashU before I started applying to UGs, but I was very familiar with Duke/Emory/Vandy.

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:50 am

my interpretation wins! Also, they have a great UG too, definitely a "prestigious" name.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:50 am

stratocophic wrote:
It's a regional thing. I'm from the south and I'd never even heard of WashU before I started applying to UGs, but I was very familiar with Duke/Emory/Vandy.
Yeah. People shit themselves for Vandy down in Dixie.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:53 am

Vandy is the oddball because their placement consistently outperforms their ranking. Vandy is kind of like that social butterfly with median grades who cleans the fuck up at OCI, and then smiles at all the cats with higher GPAs who didn't get V5 offers. Oh, and Vandy has the nicest looking law school in the T15-T20. Decent amount of lay prestige + well respected law school = wish I had considered Vandy more seriously

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:40 am

JazzOne wrote:Vandy is the oddball because their placement consistently outperforms their ranking. Vandy is kind of like that social butterfly with median grades who cleans the fuck up at OCI, and then smiles at all the cats with higher GPAs who didn't get V5 offers. Oh, and Vandy has the nicest looking law school in the T15-T20. Decent amount of lay prestige + well respected law school = wish I had considered Vandy more seriously
The building itself isn't all that pretty, but everything around it is absolutely gorgeous.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:52 am

skoobily doobily wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Vandy is the oddball because their placement consistently outperforms their ranking. Vandy is kind of like that social butterfly with median grades who cleans the fuck up at OCI, and then smiles at all the cats with higher GPAs who didn't get V5 offers. Oh, and Vandy has the nicest looking law school in the T15-T20. Decent amount of lay prestige + well respected law school = wish I had considered Vandy more seriously
The building itself isn't all that pretty, but everything around it is absolutely gorgeous.
Dunno brah, I like the building okay. Then again, I'd go to school in a cardboard box if it would guarantee me not even biglaw, just maybe like $90k+.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:57 am

Eh, it really depends on where you want to go. The issue with Vandy is that it isn't really either, which is a good thing, and a bad thing. Atlanta generally is tied more to Emory. Texas is tied more to Texas. DC is tied more to the obvious choices. This leads to basically a "spread-out" kind of factor throughout the whole Southeast, and a small portion ends up in the markets like NY.

To really answer your question, you have to ask: What is "regional" and what is "national." There's not a definition for either in this sense, because Vandy DOES have grads that do go everywhere, just like every other t20... I think you start cutting off the "national" sense in regards to percentage of class who leaves the region around the Cornell/Georgetown range. After this (maybe even before), in my opinion, the portion of class sizes who leave the region becomes too small to call the school truly "national." But that's just my opinion. Long story short, I personally call Vandy, WUSTL, UCLA, USC, & Texas (sorry GW) super regionals. I call Illinois, Minn, GW, Emory, BU, BC, etc all the way to around Wake Forest regionals (with Notre Dame maybe being something else because it seems to be a bit more natl). Everything after is basically a state/local region school.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:16 am

mst wrote:Atlanta generally is tied more to Emory.
Everyone I've talked to about this goes with: Vandy > Emory in ATL. Literally every single person. Vandy people, Emory people, UGA people, various others.
the portion of class sizes who leave the region becomes too small to call the school truly "national."
For c/o 2009, 90/190 stayed in the South (11 states of the former Confederacy). So that's less than half. 53 went to DC/NY/Chi. Consider that self selection probably has a lot to do with all of this this (I know that quite a few people with very competitive grades try to stay in Nashville, which is pretty competitive actually). It's hard to say from looking at end results.

Also with the economy in the shitter, who the hell knows how it is now really.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”