(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
skihigh06896

Postby skihigh06896 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:13 pm

Last edited by skihigh06896 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

thegor1987

Re: Trying for Patent Law in NYC/DC

Postby thegor1987 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:17 pm

skihigh06896 wrote:166 LSAT
3.37 GPA (Molecular and Cellular Bio)
Very solid letter of rec.
Good softies
1 yr off working at Unilever as a chemist (Large Chemistry/Consumer Company)

I blacked out too many times in college. I have definitely moved past those days and will bust my ass in LS. I'm looking for market pay (100,000 or whatever is comfortable living in that market) in preferably NYC but will settle for DC (maybe Cali). I dream to be a patent lawyer who works on interesting inventions and eventually move in-house. I'm not looking to be the next bottle/stripper popping Michael Clayton or whomever you go getters admire.

3 options

1) Apply Now? (Recommendation where?... ect.)
2) Go for a masters in biotech or something and show my non-hungover work ethic)
3) Work more (say no please)

Also: Will working in the patent office in DC before/during/after LS help my chances?

Pass the patent bar and blanket the T10-50, let me know where you get in

androstan

Postby androstan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:00 pm

skihigh06896 wrote:166 LSAT
3.37 GPA (Molecular and Cellular Bio)
Very solid letter of rec.
Good softies
1 yr off working at Unilever as a chemist (Large Chemistry/Consumer Company)

I blacked out too many times in college. I have definitely moved past those days and will bust my ass in LS. I'm looking for market pay (100,000 or whatever is comfortable living in that market) in preferably NYC but will settle for DC (maybe Cali). I dream to be a patent lawyer who works on interesting inventions and eventually move in-house. I'm not looking to be the next bottle/stripper popping Michael Clayton or whomever you go getters admire.

3 options

1) Apply Now? (Recommendation where?... ect.)
2) Go for a masters in biotech or something and show my non-hungover work ethic)
3) Work more (say no please)

Also: Will working in the patent office in DC before/during/after LS help my chances?

Sack up and study hardcore for the LSAT, retake, and break 170.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:04 pm

First of all, you don't shoot for NYC and settle for DC or California. You shoot for DC or California and settle for NYC. Or you shoot for NYC and settle for a smaller secondary market. Also, market salary in primary markets is either 160K (like everyone else) or sometimes 145kish for IP Boutiques.

That said, it sounds like you want patent pros, not lit. If that is the case, I might go get a masters or PhD if I were you. Bio is a pretty hot area of patent right now from what I have seen, but they still generally want you to have a graduate degree (in contrast to the engineers, who can usually get away with just a bachelors). Also, with that gpa, I would try and retake the LSAT for a higher score. And if you can, take the patent bar before law school. I am going into Lit, so I don't need it, but I still wish I had taken it before coming.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”