Is WUSTL worth it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jwaters

Is WUSTL worth it?

Postby jwaters » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Last edited by jwaters on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thexfactor

Re: Is WUSTL worth it?

Postby thexfactor » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:50 pm

jwaters wrote:While I'm waiting to hear back from school I've been messing around on LSN a lot. I calculated my cost of attending based on tuition+col minus how much $$$ applicants with numbers very similar to mine got according to LSN last year.

School Estimated Scholarship Cost for 3 years (including scholarship $)
Alabama 72,000 57,756
Kentucky 33,000 95,514
Tennessee 15,000 76,530
Wash U 30,000 155,790

Numbers are 168/3.5+ I'm from TN so that's my first choice of where to stay after graduation(Nashville), but I also wouldn't mind Birmingham, Louisville, or STL. Again, the cost is just based on last year's cycle from LSN.

My question is, for my situation, do you think the better job prospects at WUSTL are worth the money or should I take a bigger scholarship from an SEC school?

Let s just hope that you get in to vanderbilt.........

Washu prob has double the placement that alabama has in terms of nlj250 firms. Hard to say.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:55 pm

jwaters wrote:While I'm waiting to hear back from school I've been messing around on LSN a lot. I calculated my cost of attending based on tuition+col minus how much $$$ applicants with numbers very similar to mine got according to LSN last year.

Alabama 72,000 57,756
Kentucky 33,000 95,514
Tennessee 15,000 76,530
Wash U 30,000 155,790

Numbers are 168/3.5+ I'm from TN so that's my first choice of where to stay after graduation(Nashville), but I also wouldn't mind Birmingham, Louisville, or STL. Again, the cost is just based on last year's cycle from LSN.

My question is, for my situation, do you think the better job prospects at WUSTL are worth the money or should I take a bigger scholarship from an SEC school?

LOL @ the thought of wasting $155k to attend a dump like WUSTL. Good luck repaying that with WUSTL's job prospects ITE.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:14 pm

To answer the main post question: No WUSTL is definitely not worth it. Unless you have a large scholly

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:22 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:

Alabama 72,000 57,756
Kentucky 33,000 95,514
Tennessee 15,000 76,530
Wash U 30,000 155,790

LOL @ the thought of wasting $155k to attend a dump like WUSTL. Good luck repaying that with WUSTL's job prospects ITE.

TLS is so harsh.

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:17 pm

policestate1234

Postby policestate1234 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:21 pm

jwaters wrote:Whether its worth it or not, I don't think I would call WUSTL a "dump."

Anyways, I've browsed through the associate listings of almost every major NLJ250 firm in Birmingham, Nashville, and Louisville. At every firm, graduates from that state's highest ranked public school (UA, UTK, UK rspectively) were the most numerous of the associates at each firm. WashU grads were virtually non-existent except in Louisville. I know most of these grads probably had great grades, but with my numbers it seems like one of the above schools is the best way to go if I want to stay in this region (and assuming I don't get in to Vandy, which I know I won't). Plus debt load would be a lot less. Am I missing something?

Yes! Your op is utter crap. If you have a big scholarship then yea it makes sense to go there but people can't tell because you made it too confusing in your op. Your formatting sucks. HTH

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:15 pm

policestate1234 wrote:Yes! Your op is utter crap. If you have a big scholarship then yea it makes sense to go there but people can't tell because you made it too confusing in your op. Your formatting sucks. HTH

Lol calm down. I'm sorry my internet forum post didn't meet your formatting standards. Next time I will make an excel spreadsheet for you with a nice table and different colored columns.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:46 pm

TLS posters, most notably Romothesavior, have noted that to get a a job in STL practically requires ties to the Nth degree. Its Chigaco placement has also taken a serious hit ITE. I'd say no.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:49 pm

jwaters wrote:
policestate1234 wrote:Yes! Your op is utter crap. If you have a big scholarship then yea it makes sense to go there but people can't tell because you made it too confusing in your op. Your formatting sucks. HTH

Lol calm down. I'm sorry my internet forum post didn't meet your formatting standards. Next time I will make an excel spreadsheet for you with a nice table and different colored columns.

lol

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:26 am

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:27 am

go to the best school for the cost in the region that you want

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:11 am

I would not let a lot of posters here bother you with their knowledge, or lack there of, about regional markets. Most people here would find any job outside of the top firms or the upper six figures to be a waste. To be honest, I think those individuals will be the most unsatisfied with practicing the law. Do not get a law degree for the potential of a big salary or becoming rich. In my opinion the only really good reason to become a lawyer is a love of the law and a desire to be involved in its practice.

That being said, there are a lot of good Southern law schools. Have you thought about William and Mary or Emory? I have no clue how they place in Nashville, but it would probably be worth checking.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:39 am

ThomasMN wrote:I would not let a lot of posters here bother you with their knowledge, or lack there of, about regional markets. Most people here would find any job outside of the top firms or the upper six figures to be a waste. To be honest, I think those individuals will be the most unsatisfied with practicing the law. Do not get a law degree for the potential of a big salary or becoming rich. In my opinion the only really good reason to become a lawyer is a love of the law and a desire to be involved in its practice.

That being said, there are a lot of good Southern law schools. Have you thought about William and Mary or Emory? I have no clue how they place in Nashville, but it would probably be worth checking.

Ya, don't let a bunch of knowledge get in the way of doing what you want to do, OP (or lack there of [sic]).

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:45 am

ThomasMN wrote:I would not let a lot of posters here bother you with their knowledge, or lack there of, about regional markets. Most people here would find any job outside of the top firms or the upper six figures to be a waste. To be honest, I think those individuals will be the most unsatisfied with practicing the law. Do not get a law degree for the potential of a big salary or becoming rich. In my opinion the only really good reason to become a lawyer is a love of the law and a desire to be involved in its practice.

Fixt.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:48 am

I think you'd need more scholarship money in order to make it worth it, especially as a non-Midwesterner. I do think with a 168/3.5 you'll get more than 30k. I'd guess more like 60k, but it is hard to tell. Still, that's $140k to go to WUSTL and that's a lot of money for a school that is rather regional and has limited biglaw prospects. If you were willing to retake and you hit 170+, you could get a ton of money at WUSTL (close to full ride probably). Then I think it would be worth it.

I also agree with buckilaw. Cracking St. Louis can be tough without strong ties, although it is possible with either solid grades or good networking. But you should be prepared to convince employers that you really want to stay here and give them good reasons for why you do.

If you have any other specific questions about WUSTL, feel free to PM me.

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:36 pm

I pretty much agree w/ everything that has been said, and having no more input. Just wanted to say: nice mustache.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”