Any Georgia Bulldogs here? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PDL

Bronze

Any Georgia Bulldogs here?

Post by PDL » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:59 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Gold

Re: Any Georgia Bulldogs here?

Post by General Tso » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:09 pm

I find it odd that UGA is seldom discussed on TLS...compared to all the undeserved Emory love

Kchuck

Bronze

Post by Kchuck » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:14 pm

I agree with you General Tso.

At the 2009 LSAC forum in Miami, I asked an Admissions Rep from Emory what separated them from other schools and he looked me dead in the eye and told me that it was their rank. Ever since I've been pretty apathetic towards them.

Back to UGA though, anyone think they're going to be less giving with scholarships this year considering their rise in the USNWR rankings and Bama's drop?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:34 pm

The rise didn't really mean much of anything...neither did Bama's drop. They are both still regional schools that generally will be competing for the same caliber of students. The difference I think is Bama tends to give out more large scholarships than UGA.

Additionally, Bama's drop has generally been attributed to USNews' failure to calculate one of the employment numbers. That cluster of schools are close enough now as it is, but they'll be right back together again in next years rankings for sure. I don't think nitpicking in that range is something either school will do when considering scholarships, nor is it something you should do when considering where to apply/attend.

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:07 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:00 pm

PDL wrote:How does it compare to compare to UNC?
UGA:Atlanta::UNC:Raleigh/Charlotte

both regional and serve different markets

not sure what UNC's in-state tuition is, but if you're a GA resident, UGA is a steal

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:30 pm

UGA 2L here. :)
Any specific questions?

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:36 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:45 pm

I wouldn't say the students are cutthroat. How uptight people are really depends on who you hang with. Until finals hit, most students like to hang out together and have fun at least weekly.
Cost of living in Athens is ridiculously cheap, especially when compared to Atlanta. My all utilities included (single) apartment is $550/month. Most single apartments that don't include all utilities (but most include at least one) can be as low as $400. Of course it drops even lower if you get a roomie. Plus, you can't beat $1 well drinks. :wink:
If you are aiming for big law, Emory may have an edge on UGA. But outside of that, I really don't think there's much of a difference...at least not enough to justify the difference in tuition. But that's just my opinion and I'm talking about finding jobs in Georgia or the surrounding areas. I'm sure Emory is more "impressive" if you're aiming to get out of the south. But UGA has a ton of alums in the Atlanta/North Georgia area so the alumni network can definitely help if you're looking to stay in this area. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:56 pm

PDL wrote:What's the student body like? Ridiculously cutthroat?

What's the cost of living in Athens?

Job placement compared to Emory grads?

Thanks!
I'm a 1L, so jennylynn can probably give a lot better information, but I figured I'd chime in. I don't know how OCI really went, so I can't answer the third question. I'll give my opinion for the first two, though.

I personally don't think UGA is super competitive. Everyone here has been really friendly so far.
If I have a question about something I was confused about in class, need to photocopy a handout, etc. people are always willing to help. Each section really only seems to have a few really hardcore people, and I honestly have only encountered one person who I think took things too far in terms of being competitive/cutthroat.
It is not considered cool here to be really hardcore. I'm not saying that people don't study a LOT, but it is not something you'd emphasize about yourself. People try to downplay that as much as possible--it's really laid-back here. Everyone seems to go out a lot (Athens is amazing). If you come down to visit on a Friday or Saturday, going to Magnolia's (bar on Broad St really close to the school) is a surefire way to run into some law students. Football season is amazing; if you aren't coming from a football heavy UG like I did, prepare for a treat.
It's coming up on exams, and that will probably be very different, but so far I love the students here.

I live in a relatively expensive place for Athens, but it because I didn't know the area really well and it was super important to me that I lived somewhere without bugs that I could walk to school from. I pay about 630 and have one roommate. You can get a place with a couple roommates and pay 250-500, though. In general, Athens is pretty cheap. We go out and get dollar well drinks all the time; I will say that close to the LS there aren't many cheap places to eat(read: not overpriced), but I think most students pack their lunch so it doesn't really matter. I've never lived outside of the south, so I don't really know enough to compare grocery costs and things like that.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:19 pm

As far as Athens in general: straight college town; almost nothing else to do outside of things related to the school (the botanical gardens are ok). Very close to Atlanta. A huge portion of the student body is upper middle class and from Atlanta. Football is EVERYTHING. Greek life is extremely prevalent; amongst the minority population as well (the Black population might actually be the most dominated by Greek life). Weather is nice but it rains a lot. GQ named it one of the best places in the world to find women (although this mostly applies to the non minority population). Town practically shuts down in the fall on football gamedays. Drinking may actually be a major.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”