HLS CRS email

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
buckilaw

HLS CRS email

Postby buckilaw » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:09 pm

I just recieved an email from HLS encouraging me to apply. Which is confusing, because I'm below both medians and not a URM. The only rational reason I can think of for them to encourage someone with my #'s to apply is to reject me and boost their selectivity scores. Anyone else with lower #'s get a similar email from HLS?

Ghost

Re: HLS CRS email

Postby Ghost » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:16 pm

buckilaw wrote:I just recieved an email from HLS encouraging me to apply. Which is confusing, because I'm below both medians and not a URM. The only rational reason I can think of for them to encourage someone with my #'s to apply is to reject me and boost their selectivity scores. Anyone else with lower #'s get a similar email from HLS?

I did. At least I can tell my kids that Harvard Law emailed me once...

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:16 pm

buckilaw wrote:I just recieved an email from HLS encouraging me to apply. Which is confusing, because I'm below both medians and not a URM. The only rational reason I can think of for them to encourage someone with my #'s to apply is to reject me and boost their selectivity scores. Anyone else with lower #'s get a similar email from HLS?

Yep I got this today. I applied anyway although I'm sure its a denial.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:26 pm

I also got this e-mail. Did anyone else think it sounded sorta condescending?

I got this vibe like "I know you must be shocked to hear from such a prestigious university, but people like you slip through the cracks every once and awhile - so why not give us a shot?"

Not trying to be bitter (because I'm definitely not getting in), but it really turned me off. Duke, Mich and NYU were much nicer... especially Mich.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:29 pm

Shooter wrote:I also got this e-mail. Did anyone else think it sounded sorta condescending?

I got this vibe like "I know you must be shocked to hear from such a prestigious university, but people like you slip through the cracks every once and awhile - so why not give us a shot?"

Not trying to be bitter (because I'm definitely not getting in), but it really turned me off. Duke, Mich and NYU were much nicer... especially Mich.

QF Duke > Harvard

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:36 pm

I got an e-mail from the Black Students Association. I will likely apply for the heck of it, but I have no chance of attending.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:47 pm

I got the same email. It went something like this:

Dear The Gentleman,

We would love it if you applied to Harvard Law. Each year, we take a number of the NO CHANCE IN HELL apps and compile them into a light-hearted book. It provides a ton of entertainment at the Christmas party as we sit around and laugh at your pathetic LSAT, GPA, and softs. Every once in a while, we come across an application that is so hilarious, we are left with no choice but to admit that person and watch with great joy as they sink to the bottom 10% of the class. This may be you.

Sincerely,

HLS

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:48 pm

The Gentleman wrote:I got the same email. It went something like this:

Dear The Gentleman,

We would love it if you applied to Harvard Law. Each year, we take a number of the NO CHANCE IN HELL apps and compile them into a light-hearted book. It provides a ton of entertainment at the Christmas party as we sit around and laugh at your pathetic LSAT, GPA, and softs. Every once in a while, we come across an application that is so hilarious, we are left with no choice but to admit that person and watch with great joy as they sink to the bottom 10% of the class. This may be you.

Sincerely,

HLS

hilarious.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:49 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Shooter wrote:I also got this e-mail. Did anyone else think it sounded sorta condescending?

Pretty much this.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:12 pm

Got one as well. 168 / 3.9+

They are definitely doing it for selectivity purposes.

legalmindedfella

Postby legalmindedfella » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:16 am

I got one after applying. That was flattering.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:21 am

Dear The Gentleman,

Sincerely,

HLS

I seriously lol'ed

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:16 pm

Dont know why they send these emails out, but I doubt it's a selectivity thing - they're #2 no matter what, unless Stanford somehow catches them. I think I read that even with medians of 180/4.0 and the highest possible points in prestige and reputation rankings, they would still be behind Yale in the USNWR rankings, and by a significant margin.

legalmindedfella

Postby legalmindedfella » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:29 pm

trudat15 wrote:Dont know why they send these emails out, but I doubt it's a selectivity thing - they're #2 no matter what, unless Stanford somehow catches them. I think I read that even with medians of 180/4.0 and the highest possible points in prestige and reputation rankings, they would still be behind Yale in the USNWR rankings, and by a significant margin.

Yeah that was actually in response to a Mercury News article I wrote, which got a lot of (mostly negative) attention from law blogs.

It's a great post -
http://www.elsblog.org/the_empirical_le ... -data.html

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:31 pm

Dear The Gentleman,

Sincerely,

HLS

Nicely done. :lol:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”