American University

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
androstan

American University

Postby androstan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:01 pm

2.874/163/167/December.

Accepted to AU PT (I have a full time job as a chemist). Planning to do patents/IP

Thinking I'll get 17x in December and apply to GULC PT.

American has a pretty cool IP/patent clinic, GULC doesn't. You're all going to tell me to go to GULC because t14 rules. Still, I want to hear people's thoughts.

plenipotentiary

Re: American University

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:04 pm

Go to GULC. The T14 rules.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:05 pm

androstan wrote:2.874/163/167/December.

Accepted to AU PT (I have a full time job as a chemist). Planning to do patents/IP

American has a pretty cool IP/patent clinic, GULC doesn't. You're all going to tell me to go to GULC because t14 rules. Still, I want to hear people's thoughts.

Before the crash, American had decent placement power. Now that the economy has fallen out from underneath us, the T14 gobbles up all the choice DC jobs, with GW picking up the scraps. Peer schools like GMU, UMD, and W&M are not bad choices if you can get in-state tuition, but American is very expensive, not to mention, very stingy with money. You're doing the right thing by retaking in December. Barring an unprecedentedly high scholarship offer, I would stay away from American.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:08 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
androstan wrote:2.874/163/167/December.

Before the crash, American had decent placement power. Now that the economy has fallen out from underneath us, the T14 gobbles up all the choice DC jobs, with GW picking up the scraps. Peer schools like GMU, UMD, and W&M are not bad choices if you can get in-state tuition, but American is very expensive, not to mention, very stingy with money. You're doing the right thing by retaking in December. Barring an unprecedentedly high scholarship offer, I would stay away from American.

I won't be getting in-state tuition to GMU and did not apply to W&M.

With my 167 I might have a scant chance in the dark at GWU PT.

I have a SO who will be paying to support our living expenses, fortunately.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:13 pm

androstan wrote:I won't be getting in-state tuition to GMU and did not apply to W&M.

With my 167 I might have a scant chance in the dark at GWU PT.

I have a SO who will be paying to support our living expenses, fortunately.

See what you get in December, then apply to GWU and GULC PT. American is by no means a bad school, but like Cardozo and Brooklyn, the current economy has pushed its placement powers off the cusp and into the toilet.
Last edited by HeavenWood on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:16 pm

Clinics are of absolutely no use to you if you can't find a job. GULC has some great IP support. I started at GULC PT if you have any questions about the GULC PT program (although I can't really answer specifics about IP).

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:57 pm

nealric wrote:

Clinics are of absolutely no use to you if you can't find a job. GULC has some great IP support. I started at GULC PT if you have any questions about the GULC PT program (although I can't really answer specifics about IP).

I hear people calling GULC a "mill" and a "factory". People who are from the area. Do you get that vibe? They have a massive FT and PT class.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:30 am

Here is my two cents. I am currently living and working in the DMV area and apply PT to all DC area schools but FT (regular admission) to other schools (in other states). I figure if I were only accepted to DC schools, I will keep my job, get more work experience,and go to school part time. Sure AU grads may not fare well compared to GULC's and GW's grads. However, if you have some work experiences under your belt, I bet that will put you in a much better position. Also, there is no harm to apply to GW and/or GULC PT program. Worst case scenario, you lose $200. In addition, if you feel like working and law school are too much to handle, petition to full time program.

Don't be too concerned with "mill" or "factory" talk from other people. Hell, HLS and NYU pump out ~500 JDs per year, and ppl are still "dying" to go there.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:43 pm

GULC. Dont go to American unless HUGE scholly. DC market is downright scar right now.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:56 pm

androstan wrote:
nealric wrote:

I hear people calling GULC a "mill" and a "factory". People who are from the area. Do you get that vibe? They have a massive FT and PT class.

id rather come from the GULC factory than American.... it all comes down to jobs. NALP shows that GULC places arond 40%. American places around 10%.

androstan

Postby androstan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:08 pm

Sounds about right guys.

What do people think about GULC possibly losing the t14 spot due to the inclusion of its PT class statistics in the ranking calculation?

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:56 am

I heard that most biglaw firms will immediately lay off every GULC grad and cancel recruiting at GULC should it fall to 15 or (*gasp*) 16.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:19 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:I heard that most biglaw firms will immediately lay off every GULC grad and cancel recruiting at GULC should it fall to 15 or (*gasp*) 16.

Praying that this is sarcasm...

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:51 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:I heard that most biglaw firms will immediately lay off every GULC grad and cancel recruiting at GULC should it fall to 15 or (*gasp*) 16.

Praying that this is sarcasm...

Nope totally true. You think clients want to pay for some T15 grad? Hell no. It would be suicide to keep on/hire GULCers should the dreaded drop occur.

Live by the T14, die by the T14.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:09 pm

Considering IP is a pretty uniquely placed subspecialty...and GWU is known as a great IP school

I would look at GWU over Gtown because IP itself is kindof a closed field within the field

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:12 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:Considering IP is a pretty uniquely placed subspecialty...and GWU is known as a great IP school

I would look at GWU over Gtown because IP itself is kindof a closed field within the field

Barring a substantial scholarship offer, I would NOT look at GWU over Gtown.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:18 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:Considering IP is a pretty uniquely placed subspecialty...and GWU is known as a great IP school

Barring a substantial scholarship offer, I would NOT look at GWU over Gtown.

Not trying to be a dick, but do you know anyone in IP/Patents? The market for IP law is HUGE, and schools have "IP cred"---even a school like Seton Hall which in most cases is a crap school basically owns the entire state's IP market, and so grads taking the patent bar from Seton Hall tend to be flooded with good offers.

Does anyone even read the OP in this forum?

All they see is (not t14--->low lsat--->retake) without ever looking at what the OP is LOOKING for

IsleMet

Postby IsleMet » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:40 pm

What are peoples' opinions on going to American on a full ride? I think I have a legitimate shot at the PIPS scholarship and I want to practice public interest law after I graduate. Do you think that going to American for free vs. paying top dollar at a top 30 school would be worth it? My logic is that when going on interviews/submitting resumes, firms would likely understand a person's decision to attend a "worse" school if you received a prestigious scholarship.

I do want to practice in NYC though, so maybe applying to American is a waste of my time (or is it?).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:37 pm

IsleMet wrote:What are peoples' opinions on going to American on a full ride? I think I have a legitimate shot at the PIPS scholarship and I want to practice public interest law after I graduate. Do you think that going to American for free vs. paying top dollar at a top 30 school would be worth it? My logic is that when going on interviews/submitting resumes, firms would likely understand a person's decision to attend a "worse" school if you received a prestigious scholarship.

I do want to practice in NYC though, so maybe applying to American is a waste of my time (or is it?).

For NYC? Don't go to American.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:38 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:Not trying to be a dick, but do you know anyone in IP/Patents? The market for IP law is HUGE, and schools have "IP cred"---even a school like Seton Hall which in most cases is a crap school basically owns the entire state's IP market, and so grads taking the patent bar from Seton Hall tend to be flooded with good offers.

Does anyone even read the OP in this forum?

All they see is (not t14--->low lsat--->retake) without ever looking at what the OP is LOOKING for

Yo dawg, the DC market is NOT huge, and that's where you will be looking to get teh jorbs coming from American.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:59 pm

If you get a full ride to American and wanna practice public interest law, then do it. No point in going to a T30 if public interest is your goal. The place to be for that kind of law is DC. You can always start working in DC and then move to NY once your career's on track for public interest.

However, a lot of people go into law school thinking they want to do public interest but then see the opportunities available in other specializations. Whatever the case may end up being, you're probably better off going to a higher ranked school and get a big law job then go into public interest. That way you have more options. AU's not exactly at the top of the pecking order in DC so if you don't get a full ride, it's probably a bad idea to go there.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:59 pm

IsleMet wrote:What are peoples' opinions on going to American on a full ride? I think I have a legitimate shot at the PIPS scholarship and I want to practice public interest law after I graduate. Do you think that going to American for free vs. paying top dollar at a top 30 school would be worth it? My logic is that when going on interviews/submitting resumes, firms would likely understand a person's decision to attend a "worse" school if you received a prestigious scholarship.

If you're competitive for a full ride American, you should be good for some $$$ from Fordham.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:06 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Peer schools like GMU, UMD, and W&M are not bad choices if you can get in-state tuition, but American is very expensive, not to mention, very stingy with money. You're doing the right thing by retaking in December. Barring an unprecedentedly high scholarship offer, I would stay away from American.

You're kidding me right? American/GMU/UMD peers with W&M? Egregious anti-WM troll.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:20 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Peer schools like GMU, UMD, and W&M are not bad choices if you can get in-state tuition, but American is very expensive, not to mention, very stingy with money. You're doing the right thing by retaking in December. Barring an unprecedentedly high scholarship offer, I would stay away from American.

You're kidding me right? American/GMU/UMD peers with W&M? Egregious anti-WM troll.

I just got into W&M... I wasn't intending to insult the place (I was using the term "peer school" very loosely--IE, public T1 law schools that place in DC.)

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:59 am

Blindmelon wrote:

ZOMG! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”