Rank based on name prestige

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thexfactor

Re: Rank based on name prestige

Postby thexfactor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:07 pm

artichoke wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I didn't know UVA, and NYU existed.

I wouldn't have assumed Duke was a top school. I didn't know Penn was ivy, I kinda assumed it was one of those tiny liberal arts schools that people pretend are preftsigious.

I was vaguely aware of Columbia but I didn't know where it was located.

It's crazy how little prestige UChi gets inside Chicago. Less than Loyola and Depaul to lay people.

I'm all for trolling your school, dude...but UVA has considerably higher lay prestige than NU. It's not even close.

I'm from Chicago so I have a midwestern's view of prestige. There are about zero UVA grads in this are. I'd imagine UVA is the East's Michigan. In the midwest we all think Michigan is amazing.

But if you poll midwesterners, I'm guessing they've never heard of UVA either.

Lay prestige is all regional.

I'm FROM MIchigan, went to MIchigan State, and I never heard anyone talk about MIchigan's law school as being amazing.

Yea i think you are right. However the lawyers i talked to in Michigan think Umich is up there with harvard and yale....

Postby 2014 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I didn't know UVA, and NYU existed.

I wouldn't have assumed Duke was a top school. I didn't know Penn was ivy, I kinda assumed it was one of those tiny liberal arts schools that people pretend are preftsigious.

I was vaguely aware of Columbia but I didn't know where it was located.

It's crazy how little prestige UChi gets inside Chicago. Less than Loyola and Depaul to lay people.

I'm all for trolling your school, dude...but UVA has considerably higher lay prestige than NU. It's not even close.

I'm from Chicago so I have a midwestern's view of prestige. There are about zero UVA grads in this are. I'd imagine UVA is the East's Michigan. In the midwest we all think Michigan is amazing.

But if you poll midwesterners, I'm guessing they've never heard of UVA either.

Lay prestige is all regional.

I'm from Kansas but UVA ug and I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain to people that I do not go to Virginia Tech or that UVA is a better school than Kansas or Kansas State for example ( :lol: ). In the midwest, the UVA brand is nonexistant, totally agree.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:11 pm

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Columbia
Northwestern
Cornell
Duke
UVA
Berkley (really big prestige in California, but not as much elsewhere)
NYU (sorry, most people outside of the NE probably think NYU is a state school or a community college or something)
Georgetown (not sure why people have them so high... I don't think most people know anything about G'Town besides their basketball program)
Penn
Michigan
Vanderbilt

Desert Fox wrote:Lay prestige is all regional.

This.

Average people outside of the east coast/south have no idea that UVA is any better than your average state school, people outside of Pennsylvania think Penn is Penn State, and nobody anywhere is impressed with UChicago.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:13 pm

artichoke wrote:I'm FROM MIchigan, went to MIchigan State, and I never heard anyone talk about MIchigan's law school as being amazing.

I guess that explains why. Back in the day UMich law used to be top 3, behind Harvard and Yale.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:25 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:
artichoke wrote:I'm FROM MIchigan, went to MIchigan State, and I never heard anyone talk about MIchigan's law school as being amazing.

I guess that explains why. Back in the day UMich law used to be top 3, behind Harvard and Yale.

I knew someone was going to comment on that. I disagree with this assessment. I certainly have too many ties to the University of Michigan to not hear if everyone is talking about UMich as a law school on par with Harvard and Yale. In fact, I just got in, and people here were far more impressed by my acceptance to GULC than UMich.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:57 pm

artichoke wrote:
D-ROCCA wrote:

I knew someone was going to comment on that. I disagree with this assessment. I certainly have too many ties to the University of Michigan to not hear if everyone is talking about UMich as a law school on par with Harvard and Yale. In fact, I just got in, and people here were far more impressed by my acceptance to GULC than UMich.

I think Michigan's prestige back in the day was only for lawyers, not laypeople.

Also, UVA doesn't have much local lay prestige either. People in the DMV area look at me like I'm dumb when I tell them that I'd be really excited if i got UVA but wouldn't be crushed if I only got GULC or GW.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:02 pm

artichoke wrote:
D-ROCCA wrote:

Yeah, but I think the person that you were quoting mentioned that they heard these things from lawyers, not lay people. Slightly different, I suppose. Most lay people in California think Michigan is a sub-par Berkeley with cool looking football uniforms. Somehow I had friends that actually knew that NYU was a good school, but the most impressive names among lay people (in my experience) are:

Harvard
Yale/Georgetown
Stanford
Columbia
Berkeley
Cornell
Duke
Northwestern
Local state school

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:24 pm

im_blue wrote:Based on the Gallup poll, the top 10 law schools for lay prestige are:

Harvard
Stanford
Yale
Berkeley
Notre Dame
Michigan
Duke
UCLA
Texas
Ohio State

http://www.gallup.com/poll/9109/harvard ... ublic.aspx

The answer is right here people, you do not need to keep on telling us what schools you think have the most prestige. Also in the south, no ones heard of cornell, columbia, nyu, chicago, etc.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:31 pm

Based on the Gallup poll, the top 10 law schools for lay prestige are:

Harvard
Stanford
Yale
Berkeley
Notre Dame
Michigan
Duke
UCLA
Texas
Ohio State

Yea but that is universities not law schools and the only thing it really proved is who is #1 and #2 -- maybe EVERYBODY agrees that Yale is in the top 5 but not everyone thinks Stanford is making Yale possibly more highly regarded.

The answer is right here people, you do not need to keep on telling us what schools you think have the most prestige. Also in the south, no ones heard of cornell, columbia, nyu, chicago, etc.

Edit: Misquote
Last edited by AreJay711 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 pm

imbored25 wrote:
im_blue wrote:Based on the Gallup poll, the top 10 law schools for lay prestige are:

Harvard
Stanford
Yale
Berkeley
Notre Dame
Michigan
Duke
UCLA
Texas
Ohio State

That study is flawed beyond belief.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 pm

imbored25 wrote:

Harvard
Stanford
Yale
Berkeley
Notre Dame
Michigan
Duke
UCLA
Texas
Ohio State

Yes, except that list has nothing to do with law schools. Georgetown gets only 1 nod, and I'm fairly positive Georgetown has significantly more prestige in the lay person's perspective of law schools compared to general universities.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:09 pm

artichoke wrote: In fact, I just got in, and people here were far more impressed by my acceptance to GULC than UMich.

I've experienced a similar thing....

I not going to come up with my own ranking, but I think that gallup poll is probably as accurate as it is going to get.... besides the fact that OSU is on it–they must have some really powerful OSU gallup-poll trolls...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:29 pm

That Gallup poll clearly has an uber-strong California bias. Stanford over Yale? Berkeley the fourth highest lay prestige in the country? UCLA in the top ten? lol stfu gtfo to all of that

And Columbia, Georgetown and Northwestern not even in the top ten? That's ridiculous. Horrible poll that in no way comports to reality.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:36 pm

From Texas, and before I started looking into law schools this was my list

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Georgetown
Michigan
Texas
Berkeley
Duke
Baylor/SMU
Columbia

If you had asked me before I started doing research I would have thought NYU and Chicago were low-rent public schools.

Balliol2012

Postby Balliol2012 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:50 pm

I think in terms of GLOBAL prestige, Berkeley is second only to Harvard. That is because to Chinese people, and many/most Chinese-Americans, Berkeley is THE school besides Harvard and Tsinghua. And China has a lot of people.

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Balliol2012 wrote:I think in terms of GLOBAL prestige, Berkeley is second only to Harvard. That is because to Chinese people, and many/most Chinese-Americans, Berkeley is THE school besides Harvard and Tsinghua. And China has a lot of people.

haha good point

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:06 am

romothesavior wrote:That Gallup poll clearly has an uber-strong California bias. Stanford over Yale? Berkeley the fourth highest lay prestige in the country? UCLA in the top ten? lol stfu gtfo to all of that

And Columbia, Georgetown and Northwestern not even in the top ten? That's ridiculous. Horrible poll that in no way comports to reality.

Not only that, but it's usefulness to create any sort of ranking of prestige is absolutely zero. It asks respondents to only name the school they think is number one, not to provide a top 3 or 5. This means you will get a cluster over HYP/S and then a bunch of people naming his/her own university, which is evident in this list. Furthermore, the poll sucks.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:07 am

IAFG wrote:
wildcathighfive wrote:i would argue chicago has a very minimal amount of lay prestige.

it is the least panty-dropping school in Chicago, which is sad because the student body does not have much else going for it in terms of being able to affect panty movement.

:|

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:27 am

romothesavior wrote:That Gallup poll clearly has an uber-strong California bias. Stanford over Yale? Berkeley the fourth highest lay prestige in the country? UCLA in the top ten? lol stfu gtfo to all of that

TBF they are tied in the survey.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:54 am

Maybe St. Louis is screwed up (or maybe I'm talking to the wrong people), but around here it seems something like:

Harvard

Yale
Cornell
Stanford

Duke
WUSTL
Georgetown

Vandy
Everyone Else

Michigan and Michigan State are often confused, as are Penn and Penn State. UVA is unheard of. Columbia, Northwestern, and UChi are hit-or-miss. UCLA, NYU, Berkeley, and Texas are generally on the same level, which is pretty good but not exceptional.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:02 am

I'm in California, and from the 15 or so people I've asked in the last couple of days, Berkeley is either seen as ultra-liberal and overrated or brainiac central; not that I'm claiming that 15 people are representative of anything, but I did not get the sense that Berkeley was associated with prestige.

Here are the schools that were mentioned the most when I asked what schools they think of when they think "prestige":

Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
Cornell
Yale
Duke
Pepperdine (Huh?)
Georgetown

MW

Edit: Oh, and UCLA. I think that UCLA and Pepperdine are here because they are both in CA and thus, better known.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:07 am

Really? No one here noticed that that gallup poll is for schools in general, NOT law schools??

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:21 am

artichoke wrote:Really? No one here noticed that that gallup poll is for schools in general, NOT law schools??

Uh....

AreJay711 wrote:Yea but that is universities not law schools

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Yes, except that list has nothing to do with law schools. Georgetown gets only 1 nod, and I'm fairly positive Georgetown has significantly more prestige in the lay person's perspective of law schools compared to general universities.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:28 am

Unemployed wrote:
artichoke wrote:Really? No one here noticed that that gallup poll is for schools in general, NOT law schools??

Uh....

AreJay711 wrote:Yea but that is universities not law schools

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Yes, except that list has nothing to do with law schools. Georgetown gets only 1 nod, and I'm fairly positive Georgetown has significantly more prestige in the lay person's perspective of law schools compared to general universities.

Michael Clayton strikes again.

MW

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:13 am

There is also different levels of lay prestige. Lay prestige amongst college educated people is different than amongst lower class people who only know colleges from College Sports. That Gallup Poll makes a lot more sense when you consider a lot of people only know about sports via the Bowl system and March Madness.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”