Rank based on name prestige

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
geraldo8187

Re: Rank based on name prestige

Postby geraldo8187 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:24 pm

thexfactor wrote:
JPU wrote:Cleveland perspective:

Harvard
Yale
Rest of Ivies
ND
Berkeley/Stanford/Duke/Georgetown
Big 10 Schools (with Michigan and Northwestern at the top)

Note - I had never even heard of UChicago until I started looking at law schools. However, after further inspection my high school sends several kids there each year, go figure.

Similar situation in Detroit. Detroit is more
Harvard
Yale
Michigan
ND/Georgetown/NW
Chicago
big ten schools

sigh... should of went to ND.....

*should have

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:33 pm

the things you people do in your spare time...

redsoxfan2495

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:53 pm

Perspective from Rhode Island:

People around here dream about their children going to the Ivies. If I had to order them I'd say...

Harvard
Yale
Brown (RI bias)
Princeton
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
UPenn (some will think it's a state school)

People here are also more impressed by BC, BU than they are elsewhere.

UChicago and Northwestern carry very little weight. Same for Michigan, to many here think it's just a football school.

Notre Dame is big. (RI is heavily Catholic)

Duke and Georgetown are basketball schools.

Virginia carries little weight.

Stanford sounds impressive, though Berkeley is likely to get mixed up with the music school in Boston.

Southern schools like Vanderbilt, Emory, Rice, Texas, etc. have no weight. I remember when my dad heard that Bush 43 had failed to get into Texas Law he thought it was hilarious. I'm sure he has no idea it's a spot or two down from Cornell and Georgetown.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:24 am

Borhas wrote:the things you people do in your spare time...

haven't we all participated in at least 10 of these threads? They keep coming back.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:31 am

r6_philly wrote:

haven't we all participated in at least 10 of these threads? They keep coming back.

It's almost like the same exact questions are asked over and over and over on TLS. Who knew?

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:35 am

geraldo8187 wrote:
thexfactor wrote:
JPU wrote:Cleveland perspective:

Harvard
Yale
Rest of Ivies
ND
Berkeley/Stanford/Duke/Georgetown
Big 10 Schools (with Michigan and Northwestern at the top)

Note - I had never even heard of UChicago until I started looking at law schools. However, after further inspection my high school sends several kids there each year, go figure.

Similar situation in Detroit. Detroit is more
Harvard
Yale
Michigan
ND/Georgetown/NW
Chicago
big ten schools

sigh... should of went to ND.....

*should have

wtf

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:58 pm

r6_philly wrote:

yes, I have too, but TBF I try to limit my participation to trolling

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:43 pm

Borhas wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

yes, I have too, but TBF I try to limit my participation to trolling

Good call then!

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:44 am

If lay prestige is your top priority, Penn, UVa, Columbia, Chicago, and WUSTL are some of the worst law schools to attend.

Of those, I would say Penn is the absolute worst. 95% of the general population thinks it's a state school, and most probably think it's ranked lower than Penn State. If you tell someone that Penn is an Ivy league school, he or she will probably argue that it isn't. Penn grads go to a school roughly on the same level as Harvard and Yale, yet must spend their (non-professional) lives convincing others that they went to a "good school". This is the curse of attending Penn.

I would say WUSTL is about as bad, since it's top-20 for both LS & UG, yet no one knows or cares to know. Its name really isn't doing it any favors, with the qualifier "In St. Louis" there to dissociate it from UW.
Last edited by tttlllsss on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:48 am

tttlllsss wrote:If lay prestige is your top priority, Penn, UVa, Columbia, Chicago, and WUSTL are some of the worst law schools to attend.

Of those, I would say Penn is the absolute worst. 95% of the general population thinks it's a state school, and most probably think it's ranked lower than Penn State. If you tell someone that Penn is an Ivy league school, he or she will probably argue that it isn't. Penn grads go to a school roughly on the same level as Harvard and Yale, yet must spend their (non-professional) lives convincing others that they went to a "good school". This is the curse of attending Penn.

I would say WUSTL is about as bad, since it's both top-20 for LS & UG, yet no one knows or cares to know. Its name really isn't doing it any favors, with the qualifier "In St. Louis" there to dissociate it from UW.

what bubble do you live in?!?!

i agree on the WUSTL, Chicago and UVA front maybe but Columbia?! that has screamed HYS level to me since I was young and same goes with UPenn.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:55 am

MissLucky wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:If lay prestige is your top priority, Penn, UVa, Columbia, Chicago, and WUSTL are some of the worst law schools to attend.

I would say WUSTL is about as bad, since it's both top-20 for LS & UG, yet no one knows or cares to know. Its name really isn't doing it any favors, with the qualifier "In St. Louis" there to dissociate it from UW.

what bubble do you live in?!?!

i agree on the WUSTL, Chicago and UVA front maybe but Columbia?! that has screamed HYS level to me since I was young and same goes with UPenn.

Penn State = Penn to most people. Columbia though generally has pretty good rep though.

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:50 am

Chicago is moving up on Layman prestige lists! I don't want to hear famous 'I dont know which schools to rank according to prestige but I know which ones have no layman prestige; Chicago, Penn, UVA.'

Now its just 'Penn' and 'UVA'

Thank you,
lollol

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:52 am

Especially since OP is banned, I don't think this thread is particularly useful anymore. Anyone wanting more info can search for the 57 other threads that've already run their course on the same subject also.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”