Good, Old Fashioned Small Law Firm Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ck3

Bronze

Re: Good, Old Fashioned Small Law Firm

Post by ck3 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:50 pm

General Tso wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote: General Tso said that 45-50k was good money...I won't argue with that generally speaking, but after 7 years and nearly 200k in loans spent on education alone, is 45-50k good money? Doesn't seem like a very good return on investment to me.
It isn't a very good return on investment. That's why many people in this thread are advocating a TTT w/ full scholarship. If I had it to do over, that's probably what I'd do too.

There are other benefits to desk jobs besides the $$. Health, intellectually stimulating work, less physically demanding, etc. Sure you can make $50 as a truck driver or maybe as a construction worker (in the past at least), but in the long run you'd probably be happier and healthier doing some kind of professional work.

You'd also have a much higher life long income potential which is a factor that is often overlooked on TLS. I guess since most posters are so young, they tend to focus on starting salaries with total disregard of likely salary at age 40, 50, etc...

Noval

Bronze

Post by Noval » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:02 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
1. It was obviously a typo, and you are obviously a douche bag.

2. Really not sure what "the possibility of Scholarships from low ranked schools" has to do with anything. People take out 160k+ in loans for schools all over the rankings. There are also people with undergraduate debt to consider. Furthermore, some people pass up full rides at lower ranked schools to attend higher ranked schools at sticker. It happens. General Tso said that 45-50k was good money...I won't argue with that generally speaking, but after 7 years and nearly 200k in loans spent on education alone, is 45-50k good money? Doesn't seem like a very good return on investment to me.
1.Thanks for figuring that out, Douchebag Lawyers always end up making more money, i'm the living proof.

2.That's not my fucking problem if you have to take out loans for school, if you are a natural hardworker (And that's what we need in Law firms, not some 23 years old History/Philo/PSc grads switching careers because their parents weren't proud of them.), you WILL be getting good stats in University and be eligible for scholarships.

Get used to it now or go back to University to earn your goddamn Ph.D. in Liberal Arts.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:08 pm

Fighting the urge to feed the troll.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:09 pm

Noval wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

2. Really not sure what "the possibility of Scholarships from low ranked schools" has to do with anything. People take out 160k+ in loans for schools all over the rankings. There are also people with undergraduate debt to consider. Furthermore, some people pass up full rides at lower ranked schools to attend higher ranked schools at sticker. It happens. General Tso said that 45-50k was good money...I won't argue with that generally speaking, but after 7 years and nearly 200k in loans spent on education alone, is 45-50k good money? Doesn't seem like a very good return on investment to me.
1.Thanks for figuring that out, Douchebag Lawyers always end up making more money, i'm the living proof.

2.That's not my fucking problem if you have to take out loans for school, if you are a natural hardworker (And that's what we need in Law firms, not some 23 years old History/Philo/PSc grads switching careers because their parents weren't proud of them.), you WILL be getting good stats in University and be eligible for scholarships.

Get used to it now or go back to University to earn your goddamn Ph.D. in Liberal Arts.
Feeding troll.

Noval

Bronze

Post by Noval » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:50 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
Noval wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

Feeding troll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PHnRIn74Ag

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

canuck

Bronze

Post by canuck » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:12 am

Noval wrote:
canuck wrote:
im_blue wrote:
General Tso wrote:I am thinking of solo practice or small firm work. I also don't mind making 40-50k per year, which is something most TLS people consider insufficient.
40-50k is a livable salary in most areas, but debt payments are the killer
Not if you want to have a family. That is about $20 to $25 an hour. Do you really want to endure 7 years of university to make less than a mechanic with one year of college makes?
Have you considered your wife to have a job as well ? Or you're some loner who paid her to stay with you ?

+The average Small firm Lawyer will bring in at least 45$-50$/h after he spends a few years building his client base, if he's a Partner, it raises to at least 130-200$/hour and the hours aren't as brutal as in BigLaw...
Lawl at the dude with the "Nerd Pride" t-shirt suggesting someone else is a loner who pays for companionship. I do, however, understand that you are trying to justify your imminent life-fail to yourself. I'm sure you'll be very comfortable with your 50K a year job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”