Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Choose one

Big Fish, Small Pond, No Debt and Top Ranked in Class
17
45%
Big Fish, Big Pond, Big Debt and Average Rank in Class
21
55%
 
Total votes: 38

User avatar
doug_7506
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:16 pm

Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby doug_7506 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:36 am

Hypothetically, how do you decide between going into a school on a full scholarship and going into a higher ranked school with no scholarship. Since LSAT is suppose to be somewhat of a reflection of how you will perform in law school, would it make since to go to like a t-2 school on a full ride where your LSAT is >95%? Theroteically you should finish in he top 5% to 15% and lock the best job offers from the school. Or what it be wiser to go to a t-1 law school where you fall about average to below average LSAT wise and have to take almost 100k in loans. According to your LSAT you should finish in the middle half of the pack and take what jobs are left after everyone else gobbles up the other ones. Can you take that t-1 JD back to the t-2 schools market and grab the top jobs?? How many spots in the ranking do you think it takes to matter?? Does a top 10% at a t-2 say ranked 80 with a full ride = a t-1 top 50% ranked 40th with little to no scholly? Does t-1 top 5% ranked 20 no scholly = a t-2 top 5% ranked 60th with full scholly?

kehoema2
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby kehoema2 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:41 am

Hey don't take this personally, but are your numbers in your profile accurate? Because if they are I'm not seeing how any of the above may occur....

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby RPK34 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:42 am

doug_7506 wrote:Hypothetically, how do you decide between going into a school on a full scholarship and going into a higher ranked school with no scholarship. Since LSAT is suppose to be somewhat of a reflection of how you will perform in law school, would it make since to go to like a t-2 school on a full ride where your LSAT is >95%? Theroteically you should finish in he top 5% to 15% and lock the best job offers from the school. Or what it be wiser to go to a t-1 law school where you fall about average to below average LSAT wise and have to take almost 100k in loans. According to your LSAT you should finish in the middle half of the pack and take what jobs are left after everyone else gobbles up the other ones. Can you take that t-1 JD back to the t-2 schools market and grab the top jobs?? How many spots in the ranking do you think it takes to matter?? Does a top 10% at a t-2 say ranked 80 with a full ride = a t-1 top 50% ranked 40th with little to no scholly? Does t-1 top 5% ranked 20 no scholly = a t-2 top 5% ranked 60th with full scholly?


You make getting law review/top of the class way to easy just because you have a higher LSAT score than other students.

edit: And I don't feel like doing the math for it, but I feel pretty confident in saying that even if you have an LSAT score higher than 95% of the other students, you're still statistically more likely to end up outside of the top 15% than you are to end up in it.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:56 am

Also, your LSAT does not predict where you will end up. The correlation is less than 50% thereby making it a poor predictor.
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby stratocophic » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:57 am

RPK34 wrote:
doug_7506 wrote:Hypothetically, how do you decide between going into a school on a full scholarship and going into a higher ranked school with no scholarship. Since LSAT is suppose to be somewhat of a reflection of how you will perform in law school, would it make since to go to like a t-2 school on a full ride where your LSAT is >95%? Theroteically you should finish in he top 5% to 15% and lock the best job offers from the school. Or what it be wiser to go to a t-1 law school where you fall about average to below average LSAT wise and have to take almost 100k in loans. According to your LSAT you should finish in the middle half of the pack and take what jobs are left after everyone else gobbles up the other ones. Can you take that t-1 JD back to the t-2 schools market and grab the top jobs?? How many spots in the ranking do you think it takes to matter?? Does a top 10% at a t-2 say ranked 80 with a full ride = a t-1 top 50% ranked 40th with little to no scholly? Does t-1 top 5% ranked 20 no scholly = a t-2 top 5% ranked 60th with full scholly?


You make getting law review/top of the class way to easy just because you have a higher LSAT score than other students.

edit: And I don't feel like doing the math for it, but I feel pretty confident in saying that even if you have an LSAT score higher than 95% of the other students, you're still statistically more likely to end up outside of the top 15% than you are to end up in it.
Actually, I just did the math and I'd say there's about an 85% chance of it :?

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby RPK34 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:49 am

stratocophic wrote:
RPK34 wrote:
doug_7506 wrote:Hypothetically, how do you decide between going into a school on a full scholarship and going into a higher ranked school with no scholarship. Since LSAT is suppose to be somewhat of a reflection of how you will perform in law school, would it make since to go to like a t-2 school on a full ride where your LSAT is >95%? Theroteically you should finish in he top 5% to 15% and lock the best job offers from the school. Or what it be wiser to go to a t-1 law school where you fall about average to below average LSAT wise and have to take almost 100k in loans. According to your LSAT you should finish in the middle half of the pack and take what jobs are left after everyone else gobbles up the other ones. Can you take that t-1 JD back to the t-2 schools market and grab the top jobs?? How many spots in the ranking do you think it takes to matter?? Does a top 10% at a t-2 say ranked 80 with a full ride = a t-1 top 50% ranked 40th with little to no scholly? Does t-1 top 5% ranked 20 no scholly = a t-2 top 5% ranked 60th with full scholly?


You make getting law review/top of the class way to easy just because you have a higher LSAT score than other students.

edit: And I don't feel like doing the math for it, but I feel pretty confident in saying that even if you have an LSAT score higher than 95% of the other students, you're still statistically more likely to end up outside of the top 15% than you are to end up in it.
Actually, I just did the math and I'd say there's about an 85% chance of it :?


I don't remember the exact numbers, but there's a correlation of about 23% between LSAT scores and law school rank. From this, you can calculate different percentages of the likelihood of falling in different percentile ranks at law school.

So no, there's not an 85% chance.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12772
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby LeDique » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:52 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Insular means at least the following markets:
Seattle, WA


Giving preference to?

User avatar
Cmoss
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby Cmoss » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:53 pm

if i was told correctly law school is all about the name. i was told to get into the highest ranked school as possible. that being said you better be in the top 50% if your going to pay $200k for law $chool

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby 09042014 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:56 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Also, your LSAT does not predict where you will end up. The correlation is less than 50% thereby making it a poor predictor.


Because 153's end up in a school with other 153's, and 170's end up in classes with 170's. It's called range restriction.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:10 pm

Cmoss wrote:if i was told correctly law school is all about the name. i was told to get into the highest ranked school as possible. that being said you better be in the top 50% if your going to pay $200k for law $chool


I'd pay 200k for any class rank at Harvard - as long as I made law review.

Conversely, I would pay 200k for Yale. No ranking FTW?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Also, your LSAT does not predict where you will end up. The correlation is less than 50% thereby making it a poor predictor.


Because 153's end up in a school with other 153's, and 170's end up in classes with 170's. It's called range restriction.

I love you

User avatar
Cmoss
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby Cmoss » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:17 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Cmoss wrote:if i was told correctly law school is all about the name. i was told to get into the highest ranked school as possible. that being said you better be in the top 50% if your going to pay $200k for law $chool


I'd pay 200k for any class rank at Harvard - as long as I made law review.



you might be right

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby Grizz » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:17 pm

There are over 9000 threads about this subject in which "big fish in a small pond" is pretty much resoundingly rejected.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:19 pm

rad law wrote:There are over 9000 threads about this subject in which "big fish in a small pond" is pretty much resoundingly rejected.


Isn't that the whole foundation of NorB?

User avatar
doug_7506
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:16 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby doug_7506 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:04 pm

kehoema2 wrote:Hey don't take this personally, but are your numbers in your profile accurate? Because if they are I'm not seeing how any of the above may occur....


161 was my retake score. I am not gunning for anything in the top 30, rank wise.

I was just wondering how people felt. Funny that it is split 50/50.

I know the LSAT is not a perfect indicator of rank but it can help give you an idea.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby Cupidity » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:06 pm

Big fish small pond would be great....



If you could guarantee you were top of class. Very smart people go to very dumb schools. I know people far smarter than I am at T4's who are there for personal reasons or because they bombed the LSAT.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:06 pm

I do not believe that the poll options reflect the full spectrum of potential outcomes.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I do not believe that the poll options reflect the full spectrum of potential outcomes.


Just write in Chuck Norris.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:19 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:I do not believe that the poll options reflect the full spectrum of potential outcomes.


Just write in Chuck Norris.


I vote for Bruce Bochy.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:20 pm

Something tells me OP will be a small fish in every pond.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby Ragged » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:24 pm

Where is the option of big fish in big pond? Cuz that's what I'm planning on being... :mrgreen:

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:25 pm

Ragged wrote:Where is the option of big fish in big pond? Cuz that's what I'm planning on being... :mrgreen:


I only swim in the ocean HTH

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:32 pm

doug_7506 wrote:
kehoema2 wrote:Hey don't take this personally, but are your numbers in your profile accurate? Because if they are I'm not seeing how any of the above may occur....


161 was my retake score. I am not gunning for anything in the top 30, rank wise.

I was just wondering how people felt. Funny that it is split 50/50.

I know the LSAT is not a perfect indicator of rank but it can help give you an idea.



Nah. It really can't.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Big Fish Small Pond or Big Fish Big Pond????

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:35 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
doug_7506 wrote:
kehoema2 wrote:Hey don't take this personally, but are your numbers in your profile accurate? Because if they are I'm not seeing how any of the above may occur....


161 was my retake score. I am not gunning for anything in the top 30, rank wise.

I was just wondering how people felt. Funny that it is split 50/50.

I know the LSAT is not a perfect indicator of rank but it can help give you an idea.



Nah. It really can't.


Reasonable man knows whats up with trying to predict a single data point versus an average.

But yeah, as a general point, don't rely on your test score as a measure of your abilities. Wherever you go, just make sure you hustle like nobody's business once you get there.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests