Chicago: Kent, DePaul, John Marshall and Loyola

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lolschool2011

Re: Chicago: Kent, DePaul, John Marshall and Loyola

Postby lolschool2011 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:
You're the dumbest. I said I'd keep my job (going PT) and will almost certainly be getting substantial scholarship.

Lol, I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I.

Well if you are going on scholarship who cares. But Loyola is a TTT. I bet you end up working at your old job all said and done.

Dfox, btw, I have a friend about to wrap up an MBA at Northwestern and he's similarly grim... (but still has some pretty good options)

What are the hell are they feeding you all over there - depression flakes!?

You know Chicago... if the legal or any other market sucks, use your grad degree, suck it up, and get a sales job. Any reasonably intelligent person can make over 100k selling something in Chicago. (financial services, medical device/equipment, technology, industrial equipment, whatever) Surely a Northwestern JD will give you a leg up on that competition, at least until those 160k biglaw jobs come back around in 20__never.

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:06 pm

Snape wrote:This is great...op asks for help and then gets mad at people for giving them real adivce...then OP accuses people of not knowing what they are talking about and having no expereince....I love it....good luck at a TTT school in Chicago and Im sure one of the more knowledgeable people on here giving you advise not to take out the loans at Loyola or whatever TTT Chicago school will happily help you fill out your loan forbearance and unemployment papers once you graduate...good luck!

And how old are you?? just curious...

Also if you read my post you will see I quoted someone....as I am doing with this post....which indicates I'm asking a particular person a question...not everyone on here. Next time I'll make sure to PM the person instead of posting on the thread. Geez I feel like this is high school. Grow up please. :shock:

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:44 pm

ITT: 0L's think they are special snowflakes

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:40 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:
You're the dumbest. I said I'd keep my job (going PT) and will almost certainly be getting substantial scholarship.

Well if you are going on scholarship who cares. But Loyola is a TTT. I bet you end up working at your old job all said and done.

Dfox, btw, I have a friend about to wrap up an MBA at Northwestern and he's similarly grim... (but still has some pretty good options)

You know Chicago... if the legal or any other market sucks, use your grad degree, suck it up, and get a sales job. Any reasonably intelligent person can make over 100k selling something in Chicago. (financial services, medical device/equipment, technology, industrial equipment, whatever) Surely a Northwestern JD will give you a leg up on that competition, at least until those 160k biglaw jobs come back around in 20__never.

lolwut?

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:12 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:

lolwut?

...meaning he'd be able to secure said sales job over others he'd theoretically be interviewing against.

llachans

Postby llachans » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:54 pm

Bumping because no input is really recent. Some threads on here seem a lot more positive regarding these schools than this one. My goal, post-law school is to become a prosecutor. My roots are in Chicago and I wouldn't mind staying here.

Are any of these schools (although I'm not considering JMLS) likely to give me a good set up to accomplish this?

My other schools I'm applying to are in OR and WA. Would I be more likely to accomplish my goals in that market?

Thanks for any help! I really appreciate it. I'm reading such conflicting thoughts and trying to weigh my options with a clear mind.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:08 pm

Nothing's changed, these schools still all suck.

ChiCity22

Postby ChiCity22 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:20 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Nothing's changed, these schools still all suck.

This

Coming from someone who attends one of these schools

llachans

Postby llachans » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:24 pm

Is it worth it to try and pursue a prosecution career in Chicago or would it be easier on the West Coast?

I was pretty set on fleeing West in the hopes of a better job market but my current relationship is making that really difficult to do. I'd rather stay in Chicago if at all possible since she's not in any position to relocate any time soon.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:32 pm

+1. These schools are terrible (JMLS is among the very worst schools nationally), they're expensive, and they're in maybe the worst legal market in the country.

llachans

Postby llachans » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:

+1. These schools are terrible (JMLS is among the very worst schools nationally), they're expensive, and they're in maybe the worst legal market in the country.

Univ. of OR/Univ of WA/ Seattle Univ./etc would be a better choice then?

ChiCity22

Postby ChiCity22 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:52 pm

llachans wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

The downside to those pacific schools is that there are much less jobs there. I believe Seattle is up there as far as saturation.

I can tell you this, going to one of the 3 Chicago schools gives you a opportunity for DA / PD work, but its really competitive in this economy and apparently this market. I know several 2/3L's that have gotten extensive internships through the cook county states attorneys office, but getting a full-time job is extremely tough. It sucks seeing 3Ls who are really smart and hard working that probably would be successful at anything else they did sweat it out for a DA job they've been targeting all throughout law school.

I would say get some experience first if you can, I know the SA office gives out quite internships to undergrads.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Atlanta called and would like to be considered for that honor.

I also like the poster above who basically xoxo'd and said "Just do sales, bro"

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:00 pm

llachans wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

If you can go for cheap and are from the area, then yes, they'd be much better (especially Washington).

llachans

Postby llachans » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:05 pm

ChiCity22 wrote:
llachans wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

The downside to those pacific schools is that there are much less jobs there. I believe Seattle is up there as far as saturation.

I can tell you this, going to one of the 3 Chicago schools gives you a opportunity for DA / PD work, but its really competitive in this economy and apparently this market. I know several 2/3L's that have gotten extensive internships through the cook county states attorneys office, but getting a full-time job is extremely tough. It sucks seeing 3Ls who are really smart and hard working that probably would be successful at anything else they did sweat it out for a DA job they've been targeting all throughout law school.

I would say get some experience first if you can, I know the SA office gives out quite internships to undergrads.

Alright. Thanks for this advice. I'm looking at their internship application right now and it's definitely a route to consider.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:12 pm

"lolschool2011" might be ok, himself, but he is really being a bad influence to others. A 22yo kid is practically sabotaging himself by borrowing 150k to go to one of the schools in the thread title. In a world where you can learn the LSAT and get a higher score, it is laughable to not study your butt off and get a substantial scholly to one of the schools - or to get into a T14.

It is downright irresponsible to talk about 6 friends, Harvey from TMZ, or any of the other bizarre stuff you're saying; these are real lives and TLS should be a place where all of its members understand the score so they don't end up 25, owing 1600/month for an education that won't get them anything more than doc review.

ChiCity22

Postby ChiCity22 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:17 pm

+1. These schools are terrible (JMLS is among the very worst schools nationally), they're expensive, and they're in maybe the worst legal market in the country.[/quote]

Univ. of OR/Univ of WA/ Seattle Univ./etc would be a better choice then?[/quote]

I would say get some experience first if you can, I know the SA office gives out quite internships to undergrads.[/quote]

Alright. Thanks for this advice. I'm looking at their internship application right now. If I was able to secure an internship for this spring/summer/whatever and still apply this cycle, would that significantly approve my chances, or would it be ideal to take off another entire year (something I'm really dreading)?[/quote]

It would improve your chances because the main thing they look for when hiring people for the summer and later on for full-time employment is evidence that you have a strong interest for public service work and recommendations you have, grades and school are secondary, but its not going to be a cakewalk so the main thing you should look for is whether or not its something you want to do. If you really want to be a DA and you get a decent scholarship at one of the Chicago schools then its not a bad decision at all if your ok with working in a smaller prosecutor's office ...I know Lake Co. and a couple of the downstate counties hire from the Chicago schools as well and are less competitive than Cook Co.

llachans

Postby llachans » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:21 pm

I know everyone says that the LSAT is learnable but I suffer from TERRIBLE test anxiety and did better than I thought. While still low (especially by TLS standards), I'm clinging to hope that a 3.5/160 might wrangle me at least some scholarship money.

llachans

Postby llachans » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:26 pm

ChiCity22 wrote:
It would improve your chances because the main thing they look for when hiring people for the summer and later on for full-time employment is evidence that you have a strong interest for public service work and recommendations you have, grades and school are secondary, but its not going to be a cakewalk so the main thing you should look for is whether or not its something you want to do. If you really want to be a DA and you get a decent scholarship at one of the Chicago schools then its not a bad decision at all if your ok with working in a smaller prosecutor's office ...I know Lake Co. and a couple of the downstate counties hire from the Chicago schools as well and are less competitive than Cook Co.

I already have pretty good softs regarding public interest. In addition to previous experience, I'm currently an intern at a county jail near Chicago working for an organization providing social services to inmates. It's not about prestige at all and I'd be completely fine working for Lake, Will, DeKalb, etc. As cheesy as it sounds, I just really want to live my dream out as a prosecutor. I could really care less about where I do that at, although due to my current situation, the Chicago-area would be ideal.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:31 pm

llachans wrote:I know everyone says that the LSAT is learnable but I suffer from TERRIBLE test anxiety and did better than I thought. While still low (especially by TLS standards), I'm clinging to hope that a 3.5/160 might wrangle me at least some scholarship money.

At one of the Chicago schools? Seriously, reconsider law school, or go to a T3 for free in a market that isn't completely oversaturated. Going to one of these Chicago TTT schools, even with a full ride, is dangerous. For one thing, they have usually have stipulations on their scholarships, so a big scholarship may get yanked. Second, you're still out a few years of salary and have to borrow for COL expenses (and Chicago ain't cheap), so the degree will still be expensive. Finally, your odds of a job, even with great grades, are slim. I know someone with a full ride and top of the class grades at one of these schools and things have been tough going for him and almost all of his classmates. Didn't Kent's LR EIC graduate unemployed a year or two ago? These schools are downright awful.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:32 pm

llachans wrote:I know everyone says that the LSAT is learnable but I suffer from TERRIBLE test anxiety and did better than I thought. While still low (especially by TLS standards), I'm clinging to hope that a 3.5/160 might wrangle me at least some scholarship money.

And that would be great. If not, you would owe it to yourself to study for several months and either save 50-100k or get into Northwestern.

ChiCity22

Postby ChiCity22 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:

At one of the Chicago schools? Seriously, reconsider law school, or go to a T3 for free in a market that isn't completely oversaturated. Going to one of these Chicago TTT schools, even with a full ride, is dangerous. For one thing, they have usually have stipulations on their scholarships, so a big scholarship may get yanked. Second, you're still out a few years of salary and have to borrow for COL expenses (and Chicago ain't cheap), so the degree will still be expensive. Finally, your odds of a job, even with great grades, are slim. I know someone with a full ride and top of the class grades at one of these schools and things have been tough going for him and almost all of his classmates. Didn't Kent's LR EIC graduate unemployed a year or two ago? These schools are downright awful.

Given the Chicago schools are pretty awful, networking seems to go further than grades for allot of small / mid firms and even the DA / PD offices. There are allot of recent DePaul and even John Marshall grads working in public interest positions in Chicago. The lawyers I've met coming from these schools are remarkably passionate and engaging about what they do and at the same time very smart (yes there are some really smart people at John Marshall).

ChiCity22

Postby ChiCity22 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:48 pm

Retake, and try to get Big $ at one of the 3 Chicago Schools. or even aim at UIUC with some $. You should get a substantial scholly from at least 1 of them with the numbers you have now.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:57 pm

Only 3 more LSAT points and Illinois will be a safety for you!

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:Only 3 more LSAT points and Illinois will be a safety for you!

What's the scuttlebutt on how badly the rankings fallout is going to be from that whole fiasco?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”