Chicago: Kent, DePaul, John Marshall and Loyola Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Samara

Gold

Re: Chicago: Kent, DePaul, John Marshall and Loyola

Post by Samara » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:What the fuck? How did he get a name change?
MTal alt strikes again?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Samara wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:What the fuck? How did he get a name change?
MTal alt strikes again?
Nah, MTal has pretty strong convictions in the anti-law school movement. I don't think he'd go this route.

trollhunter2

New

Post by trollhunter2 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:09 am

Demand can still increase overall while the rate at which demand is doing so can go down (i.e. growth of industry subsumes growth in demand). In this case, while overall demand shrinks 4% (from 14%-10%), the growth in jobs will still increase by 10%, by 2020. Again that's not my argument; it's the projected rate of change in employment for the 10-year timeframe between 2010 and 2020 published on the DOL website.
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Legal/Lawyers.htm

If you don't like it, take it up with them.

Your next statement, "Demand has nothing to do with supply dipshit,"leads me to beleive that you slept through your Microecnonmics course, so I'll break it down for you:

"Imagine that a special edition CD of your favorite band is released for $20. Because the record company's previous analysis showed that consumers will not demand CDs at a price higher than $20, only ten CDs were released because the opportunity cost is too high for suppliers to produce more. If, however, the ten CDs are demanded by 20 people, the price will subsequently rise because, according to the demand relationship, as demand increases, so does the price. Consequently, the rise in price should prompt more CDs to be supplied as the supply relationship shows that the higher the price, the higher the quantity supplied.

If, however, there are 30 CDs produced and demand is still at 20, the price will not be pushed up because the supply more than accommodates demand. In fact after the 20 consumers have been satisfied with their CD purchases, the price of the leftover CDs may drop as CD producers attempt to sell the remaining ten CDs. The lower price will then make the CD more available to people who had previously decided that the opportunity cost of buying the CD at $20 was too high."

http://www.investopedia.com/university/ ... z1saNHBThC

LOL

LOL :lol:

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:43 am

Speaking of LOL, a Kent student seems to agree with TLS...
former Chicago-Kent College of Law student Richard Komaiko wrote:The system of legal education is completely broken now. Almost everyone I know from law school is unemployed or seeking alternative employment.
"10 Faces Behind The Incredible Law School Underemployment Crisis," Business Insider, April 19, 2012.

http://www.businessinsider.com/real-sto ... z1saVPQit0

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:44 am

Samara wrote:Speaking of LOL, a Kent student seems to agree with TLS...
former Chicago-Kent College of Law student Richard Komaiko wrote:The system of legal education is completely broken now. Almost everyone I know from law school is unemployed or seeking alternative employment.
"10 Faces Behind The Incredible Law School Underemployment Crisis," Business Insider, April 19, 2012.

But Kent has 80% employed and the economy is projected to grow X amount LALAHALALALALALAA I CANT HEAR YOU

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:18 am

Samara wrote:Speaking of LOL, a Kent student seems to agree with TLS...

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:31 am

Supply affects quantity demanded, not demand itself genius. To be clear, you said that despite the 40000 JDs produced every year demand for legal services would increase. The demand would increase whether there were 10000 new JDs or 80000 new JDs. The factors that affect demand for legal services have nothing to do with how many new law graduates get pumped out each year.

After all these pages you haven't come close to showing that Kent is worth sticker price. You have however done a great job of deluding yourself into making a horrible decision.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:31 am

I wonder if talbert wants to "troll hunt" that ridiculous troll from Kent cited in the article. This Komaiko guy needs to stop making vague generalizations about how his classmates and him are doing. Doesn't he know Kent places like a T1? 80% employed, baby!

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:33 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Supply affects quantity demanded, not demand itself genius. To be clear, you said that despite the 40000 JDs produced every year demand for legal services would increase. The demand would increase whether there were 10000 new JDs or 80000 new JDs. The factors that affect demand for legal services have nothing to do with how many new law graduates get pumped out each year.

After all these pages you haven't come close to showing that Kent is worth sticker price. You have however done a great job of deluding yourself into making a horrible decision.
Also whether the demand is there for legal work or not, it ignores the fact that the recession made everyone tighten up to pay for legal services in the first place.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

older_student

New

Post by older_student » Thu May 24, 2012 2:22 pm

I agree = non-top tier programs are not worth $120k+.
But, what about the impact of scholarships?

I have been offerred scholarships: $75k at JM; $50k at Depaul.
(both w/gpa & rank rqmts)

I plan to continue working, attending school part-time.
Am hoping Law can be an alternative to MBA - to advance at current co. or transition to Regulatory work.
Am a mid-level mgr now, with BA from top school.

My question: for non-traditional students that are able to limit their debt (due to scholarship/employment); does attending Depaul/JM offer value? If so - is DP worth the extra $25k / 40% over JM?

Appreciate the feed back!

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Thu May 24, 2012 4:34 pm

older_student wrote:I agree = non-top tier programs are not worth $120k+.

Am hoping Law can be an alternative to MBA - to advance at current co. or transition to Regulatory work.

My question: for non-traditional students that are able to limit their debt (due to scholarship/employment); does attending Depaul/JM offer value? If so - is DP worth the extra $25k / 40% over JM?

Could very well depend on the stips.

Also this thread won't die.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:08 pm

basilseal wrote:
older_student wrote:I agree = non-top tier programs are not worth $120k+.

Could very well depend on the stips.

Also this thread won't die.
Last two Necros were worthwhile... let's go for a hat trick

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Thu May 24, 2012 7:29 pm

All are really bad indistinguishable choices. if you read the news articles where grads are waiting tables and unemployed and you still choose to go then we can't help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”