Best schools for California placement?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
camelcrema
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Best schools for California placement?

Postby camelcrema » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:38 pm

For California placement (ideally SF):

With 3.78/171, I'm applying to

1) Berkeley
2) Columbia
3) Chicago
4) NYU
5) Michigan
6) UCLA

Are there other schools I should apply to for CA placement? (Or has someone else already asked this on another thread?)

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:42 pm

camelcrema wrote:For California placement (ideally SF):

With 3.78/171, I'm applying to

1) Berkeley
2) Columbia
3) Chicago
4) NYU
5) Michigan
6) UCLA

Are there other schools I should apply to for CA placement? (Or has someone else already asked this on another thread?)

Though I don't have a link, someone has almost assuredly asked this on another thread.

Add Stanford and Harvard to your list. You're too close not to take the chance. Also, USC should throw you some money with those stats. Finally, though I wouldn't rank the schools in that order as far as job prospects in California are concerned, it's a good list overall. If you want to go for almost free, and you don't get in to UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford or Harvard, add UC Hastings as well.

HTH.

User avatar
camelcrema
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby camelcrema » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:16 pm

That does help, thank you!

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:19 pm

You should shoot applications at UC Davis, Hastings, and Santa Clara if you want to work in cali why not.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby trudat15 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:20 pm

and UCI

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby showNprove » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:22 pm

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby mst » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:35 pm

Looks like a good list. I would add USC as your safety.

CaliMizzou
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:44 am

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby CaliMizzou » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:44 am

showNprove wrote:UVA has been great for placing people with CA ties into CA firms. If you have strong ties, seriously consider UVA.



I've been wondering, when people on TLS talk about "ties" are they referring to some sort of existing connection to lawyers/law firms in the region, or just a strong reason for wanting to be in the region itself?

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:47 am

CaliMizzou wrote:
showNprove wrote:UVA has been great for placing people with CA ties into CA firms. If you have strong ties, seriously consider UVA.



I've been wondering, when people on TLS talk about "ties" are they referring to some sort of existing connection to lawyers/law firms in the region, or just a strong reason for wanting to be in the region itself?


The latter.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby bk1 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:01 am

BruceWayne wrote:
CaliMizzou wrote:
showNprove wrote:UVA has been great for placing people with CA ties into CA firms. If you have strong ties, seriously consider UVA.



I've been wondering, when people on TLS talk about "ties" are they referring to some sort of existing connection to lawyers/law firms in the region, or just a strong reason for wanting to be in the region itself?


The latter.


Keep in mind a strong reason is something like "I grew up there," or "My fiance has a job there," and not "The weather is fucking awesome and I love smoking pot and fucking California girlzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz."

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:19 am

showNprove wrote:UVA has been great for placing people with CA ties into CA firms. If you have strong ties, seriously consider UVA.


Oh god. IS THIS TRUE!? *Giddily jumps up and down*

tranandy
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby tranandy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:40 am

OP,
With your numbers, you are probably a lock for UCLA, USC and Hastings with significant money from at least USC and Hastings. If you are gunning for SF, then you are set with applying to these three schools, Boalt, Stanford and the rest of T6. You'll have plenty of options if you go with that list. There is no need to consider any other Cali school not listed above because none of them will give you better prospects for SF than Hastings and the money difference probably won't be huge.

If you really want to feel safe with your choices, Michigan, Virginia and Georgetown do well in SF.

clone22
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby clone22 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:43 am

bk1 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
CaliMizzou wrote:
showNprove wrote:UVA has been great for placing people with CA ties into CA firms. If you have strong ties, seriously consider UVA.



I've been wondering, when people on TLS talk about "ties" are they referring to some sort of existing connection to lawyers/law firms in the region, or just a strong reason for wanting to be in the region itself?


The latter.


Keep in mind a strong reason is something like "I grew up there," or "My fiance has a job there," and not "The weather is fucking awesome and I love smoking pot and fucking California girlzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz."


huh

Time to rework ye olde UCLA/ USC essay, I see.

sophicad
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:04 am

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby sophicad » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:16 am

tranandy wrote:OP,
With your numbers, you are probably a lock for UCLA, USC and Hastings with significant money from at least USC and Hastings. If you are gunning for SF, then you are set with applying to these three schools, Boalt, Stanford and the rest of T6. You'll have plenty of options if you go with that list. There is no need to consider any other Cali school not listed above because none of them will give you better prospects for SF than Hastings and the money difference probably won't be huge.

If you really want to feel safe with your choices, Michigan, Virginia and Georgetown do well in SF.


Just a bit off topic, but isn't Hastings famous for YP? That's one school I applied to, but my numbers are similar to the OP's and I've been anticipating a rejection based on the numbers I've seen. They seem to love people in the mid-upper 160's, nothing higher or lower.

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby irishman86 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:21 am

Certain schools have historically placed more people into SF biglaw. However, ITE, I think you need to be at a similar rank at whatever T-14 school you are at (excluding HYS) to get SF biglaw. (So I guess the real question is -- which schools in the T-14 have the most SF offices at OCI?) To put SF biglaw selectivity into context, I know people from my MVP who have landed SF biglaw at firms like Mofo and Paul Hastings. They are all from the Bay Area though and are top 25%-top 30% of the class. To get SF biglaw from Hastings, you probably need to be top 5/10% or higher. If you are mainly interested in landing biglaw, I think it's too risky to look outside of the t-14.

CaliMizzou
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:44 am

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby CaliMizzou » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:40 am

bk1 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
CaliMizzou wrote:
showNprove wrote:UVA has been great for placing people with CA ties into CA firms. If you have strong ties, seriously consider UVA.



I've been wondering, when people on TLS talk about "ties" are they referring to some sort of existing connection to lawyers/law firms in the region, or just a strong reason for wanting to be in the region itself?


The latter.


Keep in mind a strong reason is something like "I grew up there," or "My fiance has a job there," and not "The weather is fucking awesome and I love smoking pot and fucking California girlzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz."


Haha, yeah I figured. I grew up in Cali and am attending UVA next year. I haven't decided yet if I want to go back or try my luck in NY/DC but it's nice to know the option is open.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby General Tso » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:59 am

I am shocked by all the Hastings love in this thread.

1. Hastings will probably reject you due to YP
2. Even if they don't, you don't want to go there with these kinds of numbers. They probably won't give you more than a 1/2 scholarship, if that, and the job placement in SF (Hastings' strongest market) is pretty bad for students outside the top 5-10%.

My experience is that the SF market is flooded with T14 applicants. Not all of them make it, but they still stand a better chance than Hastings people.

<--- Hastings student

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby mst » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:30 am

Yeah I don't know where the Hastings bandwagon got started either. SF is a super-duper crowded market that everyone and their mom wants to get into. Obviously the biglaw spots are going immediately to Stanford, HY, Boalt, and then whoever they can get from the rest of the t14. Sure, there's spots left... but you have Hastings, Santa Clara, San Francisco, and also the UCLA & USC migrant crowds fighting it up. With your numbers Hastings is a complete waste in my opinion. Just apply CCN, B, Michigan, UVA, rest of the t14 if you can afford it, UCLA, USC. Done. /thread.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby im_blue » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:31 am

You're about 25% for Columbia, 35% for Chicago, and 50% for NYU. For SF placement, I would definitely pick CCN or Berkeley over the rest of the T14 (besides HYS obviously).

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby irishman86 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:44 am

im_blue wrote:You're about 25% for Columbia, 35% for Chicago, and 50% for NYU. For SF placement, I would definitely pick CCN or Berkeley over the rest of the T14 (besides HYS obviously).


Even Chicago? I thought Chicago's placement this year was TTTerrible, even in New York.

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby irishman86 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:47 am

mst wrote:Yeah I don't know where the Hastings bandwagon got started either. SF is a super-duper crowded market that everyone and their mom wants to get into. Obviously the biglaw spots are going immediately to Stanford, HY, Boalt, and then whoever they can get from the rest of the t14. Sure, there's spots left... but you have Hastings, Santa Clara, San Francisco, and also the UCLA & USC migrant crowds fighting it up. With your numbers Hastings is a complete waste in my opinion. Just apply CCN, B, Michigan, UVA, rest of the t14 if you can afford it, UCLA, USC. Done. /thread.


Good advice re: applying to the t-14 and UCLA/USC.

Re: Bolded. That's not how hiring works: grades >>>> school, at least within the t-14 outside of HYS. To generalize, I would say it's the top 20% at each t-14 (excluding IP people, who get much more leeway w/r/t grades) contending for the few biglaw SAs in SF.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:06 pm

irishman86 wrote:
mst wrote:Yeah I don't know where the Hastings bandwagon got started either. SF is a super-duper crowded market that everyone and their mom wants to get into. Obviously the biglaw spots are going immediately to Stanford, HY, Boalt, and then whoever they can get from the rest of the t14. Sure, there's spots left... but you have Hastings, Santa Clara, San Francisco, and also the UCLA & USC migrant crowds fighting it up. With your numbers Hastings is a complete waste in my opinion. Just apply CCN, B, Michigan, UVA, rest of the t14 if you can afford it, UCLA, USC. Done. /thread.


Good advice re: applying to the t-14 and UCLA/USC.

Re: Bolded. That's not how hiring works: grades >>>> school, at least within the t-14 outside of HYS. To generalize, I would say it's the top 20% at each t-14 (excluding IP people, who get much more leeway w/r/t grades) contending for the few biglaw SAs in SF.


Exactly. If you go to a non HYS top 14 that doesn't have an especially strong rep in the region you're trying to work (like Boalt for Cali or NYU for NYC) then grades are going to be what separates you from another top 14 applicant--not US News rank within the top 14 (in addition to things like resume/we).

irishman86 wrote:
im_blue wrote:You're about 25% for Columbia, 35% for Chicago, and 50% for NYU. For SF placement, I would definitely pick CCN or Berkeley over the rest of the T14 (besides HYS obviously).


Even Chicago? I thought Chicago's placement this year was TTTerrible, even in New York.


Don't let the TLS hype fool you. The only schools that out place Chicago are HYS.

QuailMan
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby QuailMan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:34 pm

clone22 wrote:
bk1 wrote:Keep in mind a strong reason is something like "I grew up there," or "My fiance has a job there," and not "The weather is fucking awesome and I love smoking pot and fucking California girlzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz."


huh

Time to rework ye olde UCLA/ USC essay, I see.


I see no reason to rework the USC essay.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby RVP11 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:42 pm

Why are people encouraging a 3.8/171 to apply to UCI, Davis, or Hastings?

im_blue wrote:would definitely pick CCN or Berkeley over the rest of the T14 (besides HYS obviously).


CCN yes. But Berkeley? MVP might be better choices, even for SF. Assuming you have SF ties.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Best schools for California placement?

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:46 pm

RVP11 wrote:Why are people encouraging a 3.8/171 to apply to UCI, Davis, or Hastings?

im_blue wrote:would definitely pick CCN or Berkeley over the rest of the T14 (besides HYS obviously).


CCN yes. But Berkeley? MVP might be better choices, even for SF. Assuming you have SF ties.


I seriously doubt going to NYU is going to give you a leg up for a job in San Francisco compared to Boalt. Even with CC I doubt it.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests