military experience

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
toddyky18

military experience

Postby toddyky18 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:12 pm

As a current member thinking about attending law school, what are some lsat and gpa numbers of some former or current military members? And what school did you get accepted/waitlisted/denial to?

davidtothej05

Re: military experience

Postby davidtothej05 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:15 pm

I am an active duty Air Force paralegal sitting on a 154 and a 3.49. No responses yet, but I applied to:
Maine
New England
Suffolk
New Hampshire
North Eastern

Unfortunately, because I am still active, i have no time to retake the LSAT, so I must sleep in the bed I made.

If you do apply, make sure you emphasize your military experiences (combat if you have it) in your personal statement. A buddy of mine that I deployed with got into several T1 with similar numbers.

Best of luck

wdrinkwa

Postby wdrinkwa » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Where did your friend get into? I'm very curious. I have similar numbers as well and looking to find out how other veterans have leveraged their experiences to their benefit on personal statements, resumes, etc.

Also, did you friend use his combat experience, and how did he do it? It's been very difficult to convey my experiences in combat and I would def. like to know how others have done it.

Thanks for any details you can provide!
wdrinkwa

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:57 pm

One of my veteran buddies got into Iowa with a 3.3/157. Also in at Kent with a tiny scholarship and $$$ at Valpo.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:03 pm

I'm a military vet (US Army), 162/4.01 from a top ranked public university and a host of academic honors including contention for Summa cum Laude at graduation and my profile has all the schools I've applied to. Haven't heard one way or the other from any of them yet, but I applied a bit on the late side because I had to wait for the October LSAT results to go complete.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:12 pm

USMC Vet
163 / 3.63
Attending Villanova, pm if you have any questions
Make sure you guys look into the Post 9-11 GI Bill to see if you qualify.

jchoggan

Postby jchoggan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:42 am

jlnoa0915 wrote:Make sure you guys look into the Post 9-11 GI Bill to see if you qualify.

TCR. It's free money, and a lot of it. My last 2 years are pretty much paid for. Whatever you do, though, push the VA hard for it... otherwise it takes FOREVER to get the paperwork through.

I'm active duty AF (AFOSI agent) and attending GULC part time (3rd year). Had a 166 and 3.66 from USAFA. Only applied to GULC and GW (only places I could go while active).

DrackedaryMaster

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:51 pm

I was active duty AF for the first 11 years (Finance). I took the LSAT twice, once in 2006 and again in 2008 when I was still on active duty. Unfortunately, it was 148/149. Too bad it wasn't as easy as a PFE/SKT. I got out in 08 because I had a line number for Master, but wanted to finish my MBA and was picked up for the Presidential Management Fellows program, so I joined the AF Reserve.

This past year, I was brought up on orders to my unit to help clean up the mess in my career field known as "Ellsworth". I've been staying in Billeting for the whole time since I've been TDY, so back in June, I made the decision I would use the most of the quiet time when I wasn't working to figure out what went wrong and how to actually do well on the test. After 3 months of studying, I finally felt prepared to do respectable on this test. Ended up with a 163 to go with my 3.8 GPA. I've applied mostly to Florida schools this cycle since that's where I want to practice. I was accepted to UF last week and am waiting on FSU/UM. I thought about applying to Emory, W&M, BC, and Texas as part of some reaches, but they seemed to be waitlsits at best, so I've held off.

Somebody also made a video of the crisis in our career field and what we deal with on a daily basis (no disrespect of course). I feel if I can handle this, I can handle anything in the legal field http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRSLmayNkEE

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:50 pm

I think military service and its connection on getting into law school, specifically a better law school than your numbers might hint at, is not a clear cut thing. Not all services, jobs, and positions are created equally. However, it can really make a great personal statement and show your leadership skills and dedication to service. Not to mention the fact that you are not a criminal ( we hope ).

I am a former infantry staff sergeant that was deployed to Kosovo, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Right now I am just a lowly junior at UG, but I have a 165 LSAT ( which will hopefully go up a few points if I retest this summer) and a 3.97 GPA. To say the least I am a little interested in how my military experience might help my application as well.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:23 pm

ThomasMN wrote:I think military service and its connection on getting into law school, specifically a better law school than your numbers might hint at, is not a clear cut thing. Not all services, jobs, and positions are created equally. However, it can really make a great personal statement and show your leadership skills and dedication to service. Not to mention the fact that you are not a criminal ( we hope ).

I am a former infantry staff sergeant that was deployed to Kosovo, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Right now I am just a lowly junior at UG, but I have a 165 LSAT ( which will hopefully go up a few points if I retest this summer) and a 3.97 GPA. To say the least I am a little interested in how my military experience might help my application as well.

UVA loves high GPAs and veterans, you should ask for a fee waiver and apply.

Other than that, veterans get varied mileage for admissions. Vets seem to get a slight admissions boost at Iowa (Dean is former USMCC) but I can't think of any T20s that consistently seek out vets.

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:17 am

My number one choice is actually UVA and Iowa is high on my list as well. I've heard from friends that the University of Minnesota ( I'm a Minnesotan if you can't tell from the name ) has a patchy reputation on taking Minnesotans. Sometimes they will drop their "standards" a bit for state residents and sometimes they will deny residents that are at the U's medians.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:29 am

JOThompson wrote:
ThomasMN wrote:I think military service and its connection on getting into law school, specifically a better law school than your numbers might hint at, is not a clear cut thing. Not all services, jobs, and positions are created equally. However, it can really make a great personal statement and show your leadership skills and dedication to service. Not to mention the fact that you are not a criminal ( we hope ).

UVA loves high GPAs and veterans, you should ask for a fee waiver and apply.

Other than that, veterans get varied mileage for admissions. Vets seem to get a slight admissions boost at Iowa (Dean is former USMCC) but I can't think of any T20s that consistently seek out vets.

NU interviewer seemed MORE than a little interested in my veteran status and NCO rank as it speaks to a high degree of leadership and that I have held positions of responsibility in the past, something that NU emphasizes in its admissions process.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”