Chosing a school for the COLD weather

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
r6_philly

Re: Chosing a school for the COLD weather

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:11 pm

irishman86 wrote:
Do you live in Buffalo or something? I've lived in the Mountain region, Midwest, and East Coast. There's rarely a "wall" of snow (it's extremely rare in Michigan, and people supposedly think it's cold here (again, I think people exaggerate)). After the roads are cleared, the worst is a couple to few inches on the sidewalks, and it's perfectly walkable (as in I can walk in it with tennis shoes and be fine). Then again, who knows, maybe you're from Buffalo or some other TTT. I think you guys really exaggerate the severity of winter though. Spend a summer in Texas and then tell me which you prefer.

The only negative aspect to winter is windchill, but in most places, it's not that bad. (Chicago does get pretty windy, but in most cities/towns, it's really not that bad. Albeit not as cold, I think it gets windier in SF than Chicago.)

I am not exaggerating, and I only live in Philly which had like 90 inches of snow last winter.

I am from the tropics, so Texas is nothing. I miss swimming in the ocean in Jan.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:14 pm

Last edited by irishman86 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:15 pm

r6_philly wrote: I miss swimming in the ocean in Jan.

I swim in the ocean in Jan in Boston. :twisted:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:19 pm

irishman86 wrote:Yeah, but the East Coast had it unusually rough last year, and it was way worse than any other region. DC was on lock down for over a week. It's normally not that bad.

I'm from a state with four seasons originally (not the Midwest), but I have lived in California and "no season" states," and I still don't understand why people are so whiny about snow.

I have been living here for 17 years. Some years are not so bad, but when it snows, it's a pain in the ass. Especially if you don't get up early to get the snow removed - after some people walk all over it it gets really hard to remove. and they absolutely pile all the plowed snow onto the sidewalk and into driveway openings.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:20 pm

paratactical wrote:

You are better in every way!

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
paratactical wrote:

You are better in every way!

I won't disagree with this, but I'm pretty sure my statement just proves that I'm off my rocker.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:
irishman86 wrote:Yeah, but the East Coast had it unusually rough last year, and it was way worse than any other region. DC was on lock down for over a week. It's normally not that bad.

I'm from a state with four seasons originally (not the Midwest), but I have lived in California and "no season" states," and I still don't understand why people are so whiny about snow.

I have been living here for 17 years. Some years are not so bad, but when it snows, it's a pain in the ass. Especially if you don't get up early to get the snow removed - after some people walk all over it it gets really hard to remove. and they absolutely pile all the plowed snow onto the sidewalk and into driveway openings.

Weird. I live in an apartment complex now, so I don't do anything. (The LL does everything, and the city gets the rest done.) When I lived in the mountain area, I lived in a house, and I almost never shoveled. Just threw a bit of salt on the ground and let Mr 4-wheel drive get me places. (A 4-wd can do almost anything.) (Of course, maybe you are concerned about liability issues? I lived in the suburbs and there was hardly any foot traffic in front of the house, so I never bothered.)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:39 pm

irishman86 wrote:
Weird. I live in an apartment complex now, so I don't do anything. (The LL does everything, and the city gets the rest done.) When I lived in the mountain area, I lived in a house, and I almost never shoveled. Just threw a bit of salt on the ground and let Mr 4-wheel drive get me places. (A 4-wd can do almost anything.) (Of course, maybe you are concerned about liability issues? I lived in the suburbs and there was hardly any foot traffic in front of the house, so I never bothered.)

Many localities actually issues tickets if you don't clear at least 1 foot wide path across your frontage. They also issue you tickets for having the grass too tall, trash on the curb before 6PM or ... I own so it's hard to keep up.

Many private landlords around here write into the lease that you are responsible for snow/leaves removal ...

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:Many private landlords around here write into the lease that you are responsible for snow/leaves removal ...

Is that legal in Philly? I know it's not in NYC and Boston.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:02 pm

paratactical wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Many private landlords around here write into the lease that you are responsible for snow/leaves removal ...

I am not sure, but I had it in 3 of my previous rental leases so I presumed it was legal in PA. (maybe not?)

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:33 am

r6_philly wrote:
paratactical wrote:

I am not sure, but I had it in 3 of my previous rental leases so I presumed it was legal in PA. (maybe not?)

Crazy. I had a rental company try to do that to me in Boston and I was like LOLNO.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:32 pm

paratactical wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
paratactical wrote:

Crazy. I had a rental company try to do that to me in Boston and I was like LOLNO.

I guess that's partially why I wanted to go to law school. Knowing is empowering.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:I guess that's partially why I wanted to go to law school. Knowing is empowering.

It's amazing how easy it is to research shit about your legal rights, especially with all the probono orgs, and yet no one seems to do it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:38 pm

paratactical wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I guess that's partially why I wanted to go to law school. Knowing is empowering.

It's amazing how easy it is to research shit about your legal rights, especially with all the probono orgs, and yet no one seems to do it.

They need to market better. I don't think they are really reaching the audience need the service. I have a extensive background in nonprofits and they usually offer great services that no one knows about.

I hear tenant horror stories all the time, most of the they just presume they had no rights. So they won't even try to research...

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:They need to market better. I don't think they are really reaching the audience need the service. I have a extensive background in nonprofits and they usually offer great services that no one knows about.

I hear tenant horror stories all the time, most of the they just presume they had no rights. So they won't even try to research...

Yeah. I'm a bit of a bitch because my opinion is that if you're too damn lazy to do a google search, you probably don't deserve the help, work and effort of other people.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:12 pm

paratactical wrote:
r6_philly wrote:They need to market better. I don't think they are really reaching the audience need the service. I have a extensive background in nonprofits and they usually offer great services that no one knows about.

Yeah. I'm a bit of a bitch because my opinion is that if you're too damn lazy to do a google search, you probably don't deserve the help, work and effort of other people.

Haha I believe in helping people who can't/won't help themselves simply because some people are more capable than others and that shouldn't be held against the ones who are not. More of result of me from a disadvantaged background though. I certain see your point.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:14 pm

r6_philly wrote:More of result of me from a disadvantaged background though. I certain see your point.

It's funny because my opinin is also a result of a disadvantaged background.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:18 pm

paratactical wrote:
r6_philly wrote:More of result of me from a disadvantaged background though. I certain see your point.

It's funny because my opinin is also a result of a disadvantaged background.

I can also see that :)

I think we simply look our own achievements in different ways. I feel like I was blessed with the ability to overcome difficulties, while others do not possess the same ability/qualities. While I don't think it is my duty to help those, I choose to want to do so. It is more of a self-realization of what's the point of my life. I need to find some purpose in this life and I decided that should be me using what I have accomplished to help those who won't be able to do it (due to external or internal obstacles).

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:29 pm

In the Twin Cities both Minneapolis and Saint Paul will remove snow from the sidewalks. The catch is that when we get a pretty good coating of snow, like last weekend and 18 inches, it can take them a few days to get around to it and at that point you really just have to suck it up and clear a way to your car etc. Although, I really don't mind shoveling snow. It can actually be meditative in a way, especially when the wind is howling around you. Also, I've lived in the upper Midwest and the South and I can tell you this much, cold is MUCH BETTER than having to dealing with 100% humidity. Plus, Minnesota does have great summers. Mosquitoes can be a pain though.

SageD

Postby SageD » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:03 am

I grew up in northern Alberta and did my undergrad at the U of A in Edmonton. Earlier this year I moved to San Diego. Before I did I experienced the coldest night of my life-- it got down to -64 for one night while I was out.

While I don't miss the -50 we'd get in Edmonton, I have to say San Diego just makes me feel like I'm constantly medicated. No horrible lows, but the lack of lows means there are never highs, either. Nothing makes you feel alive like that first day, after a brutal winter, when you walk outside and breathe in the air and you just KNOW spring has arrived. It's still technically freezing outside, but you don't care, you're heading out in a t-shirt and stomping through thawing slush and listening to robins singing and you're fucking happier than anyone else on the planet for that one moment.

In San Diego, it's 300 days a year of 70 degree weather. It sounds like paradise, but just by the mere fact that it's always nice, I can't remember the last time I stepped outside and thought to myself, "it's a nice day!"

I need to find some middle ground. I want to live in New York-- an actual, real-life winter, but not the bone-chilling death cold of Edmonton. Plus, the worst part about winter is the driving, and in NY you don't have to worry about that.

New York in August does scare me a little, though.

Informative

Postby Informative » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:22 am

Lwoods wrote:
im_blue wrote:166 - BU, BC
167 - WUSTL, Minnesota

These + Notre Dame and Wisconsin. South Bend and Madison are more college town than rural.

Agreed, except I would definitely debate going to a law school that isn't in a major market for job placement.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”