Chosing a school for the COLD weather

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MysticalWheel

Re: Chosing a school for the COLD weather

Postby MysticalWheel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:27 am

Fred_McGriff wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
paratactical wrote:OP, have you ever lived in cold? Cause I've met people from Texas that thought four seasons would be nice, but they didn't realize how cold it gets in Boston.

THIS.

Think of waking up in the middle of May to ground frozen rock hard, snow outside, muddy sludge on the side of the roads. Think of salt and dirt caking onto every part of your car, your clothes, filling the crevices in your boots. Think of getting sick, unless you're super human you'll have multiple colds a year, your immune system and the immune systems of everyone around you will be weakened. You'll get chills, feel like you're a prisoner in your own house some nights because it's too damn cold to go out. Think about back to back to back days of little to no sunlight, slate grey skies fading to darkness around 4pm and all of the time you'll have to deal with the fools errand of winterizing everything you own. Waking up for work and cranking your rock solid frozen car out of it's slumber, the 10 minutes before it's really warm inside, sitting there shivering.

Now think of calling your friends and family in Texas. What's the weather there like in January, February, March, April, May? Can they go for a long walk outside? Are the kids early season practices a living hell? Are they still sniffling and wheezing?

Cold weather is awesome and romantic in theory, but in practice it really sucks, and is the worst part of living in the North.

You just described my dream weather. There is something indescribably beautiful about the cold that is simply absent in heat. I'm not trying to sound ridiculous or naive, but it's almost like the colder it gets, the closer it is to God (and for the record, I'm not religious, so don't start with the Jesus-freak comebacks). There is a small chance (very small, lol) that I will turn down Stanford (if accepted) for Columbia because NY is more seasonal and gets colder.

MW

brokenwindows

Postby brokenwindows » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:26 pm

+6
Last edited by brokenwindows on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueFeathers

Postby BlueFeathers » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:54 am

paratactical wrote:OP, have you ever lived in cold? Cause I've met people from Texas that thought four seasons would be nice, but they didn't realize how cold it gets in Boston.

Look at Virgina/Pennsylvania north, not Boston/NYC north.

I've never lived in the cold but I know myself and I'm pretty pretty I'd be not to annoyed shoveling snow as opposed to getting heat exhaustion. The heat as never agreed with me so I wouldn't mind cold cold.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:05 am

BlueFeathers wrote:

I've never lived in the cold but I know myself and I'm pretty pretty I'd be not to annoyed shoveling snow as opposed to getting heat exhaustion. The heat as never agreed with me so I wouldn't mind cold cold.

If you throw your back out shoveling snow, it generally last about 3 weeks. I don't think heat exhaustion last that long. That and it doesn't hurt when you are sleeping.

langdonbadger

Postby langdonbadger » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:13 am

Henchman21 wrote:
Lonagan wrote:Just use this as your personal statement and apply to Minnesota.

+1

Also, you can just use the same personal statement for Wisconsin

Lived in both places. Talk about how you don't like feeling in your ears or toes, and mention a slight affinity for mosquitoes, and you're in.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:22 pm

all you cold haters :wink: , i went to school in Michigan and I often think the same thing as OP, i am missing the snow and the cold

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:32 pm

BlueFeathers wrote:

False dichotomy. Just because you don't like heat exhaustion doesn't mean you can handle real cold weather. Further, shoveling snow is not the worst part about sincerely cold weather.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:35 pm

I almost cried this morning. It was 24 degrees with 25 mph winds for a wind-chill of 9 degrees. I'm going to Michigan next year :|

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:44 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I almost cried this morning. It was 24 degrees with 25 mph winds for a wind-chill of 9 degrees. I'm going to Michigan next year :|

It was 17 with a windchill of 0 when I left out this morning. I am scared of anywhere north of NYC right now. (love, Cambridge and New Haven)

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:16 pm

paratactical wrote:
BlueFeathers wrote:

False dichotomy. Just because you don't like heat exhaustion doesn't mean you can handle real cold weather. Further, shoveling snow is not the worst part about sincerely cold weather.

Why are people talking about shoveling snow? Unless you are talking about your driveway, which is a joke, most cities/towns up North take care of that for you. This isn't Texas or LA, where the cities are unprepared for rain.

Cold >>> heat/humidity. I hate humidity. At least we don't have to shower 5 times a day up North to feel clean during the spring/summer.

MikeNorec

Postby MikeNorec » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:16 pm

Apply to Stetson.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:21 pm

irishman86 wrote:Why are people talking about shoveling snow? Unless you are talking about your driveway, which is a joke, most cities/towns up North take care of that for you. This isn't Texas or LA, where the cities are unprepared for rain.

Which city clears the sidewalk for homeowners?

What happens when the city's plow trucks push 2 extra feet of snow to the side on top of the 2 feet already in your driveway, do they come back and clear a path for you get out of your driveway?

I have never heard of cities/towns take care of snow removal for anyone, most of the time they don't even bother plowing side streets. I thought I kind of living in the north?

BlueFeathers

Postby BlueFeathers » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:59 am

paratactical wrote:
BlueFeathers wrote:

I know I can handle real cold. It's MUCH easier to warm up (bundle and layer) rather than cooling off. You can strip naked and STILL be sweating your ass off for a good while. Bundle up, layer up, cover as much exposed skin as possible and you start warming up inch by inch.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:07 am

r6_philly wrote:
irishman86 wrote:Why are people talking about shoveling snow? Unless you are talking about your driveway, which is a joke, most cities/towns up North take care of that for you. This isn't Texas or LA, where the cities are unprepared for rain.

What happens when the city's plow trucks push 2 extra feet of snow to the side on top of the 2 feet already in your driveway, do they come back and clear a path for you get out of your driveway?

I have never heard of cities/towns take care of snow removal for anyone, most of the time they don't even bother plowing side streets. I thought I kind of living in the north?

+1

Irishman clearly doesn't know what hes talking about. Shoveling the walls that the plows make is by far the worst, especially the 2nd and 3d time.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:12 am

Mike12188 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

+1

Irishman clearly doesn't know what hes talking about. Shoveling the walls that the plows make is by far the worst, especially the 2nd and 3d time.

Especially after they salt since it will melt and refreeze over your nicely made cut out into a wall of dirty ice.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:15 am

paratactical wrote:
BlueFeathers wrote:

+1. The solution weatherwise is to move to California.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:18 am

TCR is Boalt-not sure if this is true of the law buildings but many of the UG and grad buildings don't have either AC or heating units installed. I lived in SF for two years and never, ever ran my central for either heating or cooling.

This morning in DC, it was mid twenties with a windchill factor into the single digits. :evil:

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:32 am

BlueFeathers wrote:I know I can handle real cold. It's MUCH easier to warm up (bundle and layer) rather than cooling off. You can strip naked and STILL be sweating your ass off for a good while. Bundle up, layer up, cover as much exposed skin as possible and you start warming up inch by inch.

Hey, I love cold weather, but I don't think that you can know that you can handle it without ever having lived in it. Sorry pumpkin, you frontin'.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:37 am

paratactical wrote:
BlueFeathers wrote:I know I can handle real cold. It's MUCH easier to warm up (bundle and layer) rather than cooling off. You can strip naked and STILL be sweating your ass off for a good while. Bundle up, layer up, cover as much exposed skin as possible and you start warming up inch by inch.

Hey, I love cold weather, but I don't think that you can know that you can handle it without ever having lived in it. Sorry pumpkin, you frontin'.

Yes, if you guess wrong in hot weather you just get really sweaty. If you guess wrong in cold weather you die and/or lose your toes. I don't get where this "easy to warm up" notion comes from... Dealing with heat is easy, you just need water.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:50 am

r6_philly wrote:
paratactical wrote:

Yes, if you guess wrong in hot weather you just get really sweaty. If you guess wrong in cold weather you die and/or lose your toes. I don't get where this "easy to warm up" notion comes from... Dealing with heat is easy, you just need water.

This is true, at least in the US. And the solution to avoiding snow shoveling is to not have a car in a city and rent your housing.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:01 pm

paratactical wrote:This is true, at least in the US. And the solution to avoiding snow shoveling is to not have a car in a city and rent your housing.

Read the lease carefully. Sometimes tenants clean the sidewalk/walkways. Not having a car (that's snow worthy) in the winter time is another drawback unless you are in big cities.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
paratactical wrote:This is true, at least in the US. And the solution to avoiding snow shoveling is to not have a car in a city and rent your housing.

Read the lease carefully. Sometimes tenants clean the sidewalk/walkways. Not having a car (that's snow worthy) in the winter time is another drawback unless you are in big cities.

I've never had a lease where it wasn't landlord or super cleaning, but I have also only lived in real cities. IMO, if you need a car, it's not really much of a city.

thechee

Postby thechee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:16 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

THIS.

I live in Boston, and it doesn't get THAT cold here. It is a damp, chill-to-the-bone kind of cold though, so it takes forever to warm up once you go inside.

I went to UG and worked in the upper Midwest. I remember one week where the wind chill was -40F or colder every single day when I was walking to work. Having lived through that, Boston seems much more bearable.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:18 pm

paratactical wrote:I've never had a lease where it wasn't landlord or super cleaning, but I have also only lived in real cities. IMO, if you need a car, it's not really much of a city.

I'd like to drive 5 minutes to pay 60-70% for everything. I suppose that doesn't happen in NYC but it is very easy to take advantage of the surrounding area in Philly if you have a car. I enjoy being able to go anywhere before the roads are plowed.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

+1

Do you live in Buffalo or something? There's rarely a "wall" of snow (it's extremely rare in Michigan, and people supposedly think it's cold here (again, I think people exaggerate)). After the roads are cleared, the worst is a couple to few inches on the sidewalks, and it's perfectly walkable (as in I can walk in it with tennis shoes and be fine). Then again, who knows, maybe you're from Buffalo or some other TTT. I think you guys really exaggerate the severity of winter though. Spend a summer in Texas and then tell me which you prefer.

The only negative aspect to winter is windchill, but in most places, it's not that bad. (Chicago does get pretty windy, but in most cities/towns, it's really not that bad. Albeit not as cold, I think it gets windier in SF than Chicago.)
Last edited by irishman86 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”