Chosing a school for the COLD weather

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Merr

Re: Chosing a school for the COLD weather

Postby Merr » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:21 pm

paratactical wrote:OP, have you ever lived in cold? Cause I've met people from Texas that thought four seasons would be nice, but they didn't realize how cold it gets in Boston.

Look at Virgina/Pennsylvania north, not Boston/NYC north.

This is true. It is also the reason why I intend never to go back to the Great Lakes region for any long period of time during the winter.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:10 am

F*ck sunshine, snowmen are awesome.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:17 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
paratactical wrote:OP, have you ever lived in cold? Cause I've met people from Texas that thought four seasons would be nice, but they didn't realize how cold it gets in Boston.

THIS.

Think of waking up in the middle of May to ground frozen rock hard, snow outside, muddy sludge on the side of the roads. Think of salt and dirt caking onto every part of your car, your clothes, filling the crevices in your boots. Think of getting sick, unless you're super human you'll have multiple colds a year, your immune system and the immune systems of everyone around you will be weakened. You'll get chills, feel like you're a prisoner in your own house some nights because it's too damn cold to go out. Think about back to back to back days of little to no sunlight, slate grey skies fading to darkness around 4pm and all of the time you'll have to deal with the fools errand of winterizing everything you own. Waking up for work and cranking your rock solid frozen car out of it's slumber, the 10 minutes before it's really warm inside, sitting there shivering.

Now think of calling your friends and family in Texas. What's the weather there like in January, February, March, April, May? Can they go for a long walk outside? Are the kids early season practices a living hell? Are they still sniffling and wheezing?

Cold weather is awesome and romantic in theory, but in practice it really sucks, and is the worst part of living in the North.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:28 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

THIS.

Think of waking up in the middle of May to ground frozen rock hard, snow outside, muddy sludge on the side of the roads. Think of salt and dirt caking onto every part of your car, your clothes, filling the crevices in your boots. Think of getting sick, unless you're super human you'll have multiple colds a year, your immune system and the immune systems of everyone around you will be weakened. You'll get chills, feel like you're a prisoner in your own house some nights because it's too damn cold to go out. Think about back to back to back days of little to no sunlight, slate grey skies fading to darkness around 4pm and all of the time you'll have to deal with the fools errand of winterizing everything you own. Waking up for work and cranking your rock solid frozen car out of it's slumber, the 10 minutes before it's really warm inside, sitting there shivering.

Now think of calling your friends and family in Texas. What's the weather there like in January, February, March, April, May? Can they go for a long walk outside? Are the kids early season practices a living hell? Are they still sniffling and wheezing?

Cold weather is awesome and romantic in theory, but in practice it really sucks, and is the worst part of living in the North.

What? Have you lived in the North? It rarely snows in May in the Northeast and Midwest. It also hasn't started snowing in the Northeast and Midwest yet, and it's mid-November. I think people really over-exaggerate how cold it gets. February is the only truly cold month.

Also, at least in the North, we aren't sweating up a storm and feeling completely disgusting a third to half of the year. The humidity is what makes parts of the South unbearable.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:36 pm

God you guys are really making me hope I get into Berkeley.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:42 pm

Sogui wrote:As a lifelong Texas I'm going to warn you, Texas really doesn't have it that bad.

Every building in Texas has powerful central AC, it's only hot when you're going out and that's when you can dress for the occasion.

Sure you can go somewhere more temperate, but if you want COLD that means going farther north. I went from Austin to NYC and I have to say the most miserable weeks of the summer weren't the last 2 months I spent in Austin, but the two weeks in August when I moved in and have no AC.

Sleeping without AC in 80-90 degree weather really sucks when you've always had AC, I got a pretty strong fan but even that can't really keep you cool. Now it's getting "cold" and I find that sometimes the radiator gets a little over-active and I have to perform a delicate dance of cracking the window and letting in the 30-40 degree air and shutting in before my feet freeze. Also the law schools up here basically "shut down" their AC in October and we hit a hot streak, we got some apologetic emails, some classes were canceled, but basically we spent a week going to class in 80-degree furnaces.

TL;DR - We spend most of our time indoors, especially in law school, indoors in Texas is probably more comfortable than indoors in the Northeast.

THIS. Im a native texas as well but go to school in NY. Indoors SUCKS everywhere in NY bc there is no air conditioning most places/houses and no fans. Im usually sweating in classes during may, august, september, and early october

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:10 pm

i am a life long NYer, so I know a bit about living in the cold.

Yes, depending on where you live, there are some really cold days. Salt and sand makes your car a mess, but there are indoor car washes that take care of that. Schools do have fans, ac, and turn them on during the warm parts of the semesters. As for being constantly sick, the cold weather doesnt make you sick ( thats an old wives tale), its the germs and unsanitary practices. ( not washing your hands, not eating right, getting enough rest, too much stress etc) that helps get you ill. Oh, yeah, being around people who are sick, but dont cover their faces when they sneeze, or cough will do the trick.

If you are from the south, yes, the climate change will be drastic from what you are used to. Thats why I would strongly consider visiting the school in january or february so you will have a decent idea of what to expect, weather wise.( you are in the beginning of the spring semester, and there is plenty of time to make a final decision on where to put your seat deposit down). When you want to go out, just wear a coat, and check it ( or leave it in your car). If you are still worried about the cold, have a drink before you go. In the am, turn your car on ( make sure to leave the doors unlocked), turn the defrost on to high, and crank the heat up. That will warm up your car. There is no reason to winterize your vehicle, other than to make sure you have good tread on your tires, and to have a shovel and extra set of warm clothes and a blanket ( just in case).

Sure it wont be as pretty as Hawaii, or southern Cali/ florida in the winter. Its not as bad as living in the artic. Before you make your final decision, just go travel and see for yourself in january- that way you can make an informed decision.

Amir N

Postby Amir N » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:30 pm

Here in Wisconsin it's generally unbearably cold from sometime in November until sometime in March. Having recently spent a lot of time in Southern Indiana and Northern Kentucky, I could really see myself appreciating even that modest climate change for law school (+10 degree F. in the heart of winter)

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:42 pm

irishman86 wrote:
Fred_McGriff wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

THIS.

What? Have you lived in the North? It rarely snows in May in the Northeast and Midwest. It also hasn't started snowing in the Northeast and Midwest yet, and it's mid-November. I think people really over-exaggerate how cold it gets. February is the only truly cold month.

Also, at least in the North, we aren't sweating up a storm and feeling completely disgusting a third to half of the year. The humidity is what makes parts of the South unbearable.

Ice on the lakes near Minnesota comes off by late April.

In chicago November is anywhere from chilly to cold, but not really bitter cold. December is cold but not bitter. We usually get one medium snow. But the first snow isn't that bad. January is cold as shit and it snows a lot. Feburary is bitter cold but it doesn't snow as much.

February is the worst. It's been cold for a while and you are sick of it. It's overcast the entire month.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:48 pm

Lonagan wrote:Just use this as your personal statement and apply to Minnesota.

+1

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:50 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Don't know where you're planning on practicing, but Salt Lake's got four full seasons, and isn't humid at all. University of Utah?

Going with the WEST trend. CU BOULDER... best combination of weather you will ever experience... god I miss CO

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:01 pm

Rutgers Newark and Rutgers Camden are in New Jersey, and it gets cold there, but it's not rural. New York is a possibility, with Brooklyn and Cardozo. Also Temple in Philadelphia, or Penn State. Maryland is also possible.

Just get a map and figure it out, fatso.
Last edited by magicman554 on Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:02 pm

4for44 wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:Don't know where you're planning on practicing, but Salt Lake's got four full seasons, and isn't humid at all. University of Utah?

Going with the WEST trend. CU BOULDER... best combination of weather you will ever experience... god I miss CO

+1

I spent a couple weeks at a jazz camp at CU Boulder, and it was freakin' amazing. I'm sure the winter weather is nice too. Colorado is nice in general.

Edit: I just thought I'd mention that I was chatting with a fellow applicant at a callback interview recently. He was a transfer student from CU, and he told me that none of his friends who had remained at CU were getting job offers. I have no way to confirm or verify, but it's rough out there.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:24 pm

irishman86 wrote:What? Have you lived in the North? It rarely snows in May in the Northeast and Midwest. It also hasn't started snowing in the Northeast and Midwest yet, and it's mid-November. I think people really over-exaggerate how cold it gets. February is the only truly cold month.

Dude, long time Northern resident from a cold part of the North. We got snow up here on October 15th and 16th of this year, we got snow this past May, and the May before.

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:05 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:
irishman86 wrote:What? Have you lived in the North? It rarely snows in May in the Northeast and Midwest. It also hasn't started snowing in the Northeast and Midwest yet, and it's mid-November. I think people really over-exaggerate how cold it gets. February is the only truly cold month.

Dude, long time Northern resident from a cold part of the North. We got snow up here on October 15th and 16th of this year, we got snow this past May, and the May before.

+1 if you're talking about Minnesota. It snowed last year starting in mid October and we got our last snowfall in may. This year in the twin cities we've been lucky our first snowfall came this weekend . Did I mention January is the worst month temperature wise? Last year it never got above freezing in January. (-20 is fairly common, and -40 happens every few years). U of m and downtown Minneapolis and saint Paul all have skyways and tunnel systems so you barely have to be outside but let me tell you waiting for the bus in winter in mm sucks. Also it's humid here in the summer.

You might like northern California. Though hot, the summers are really dry. Winters are wet, but above freezing (around 40s and 50s). Plus you can always choose to drive into the Sierra negates if you really want to see snow. UC Davis or pacific would fit the bill.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:11 pm

justadude55 wrote:isn't stl pretty warm?

Actually as someone from Texas and is now living in STL, STL feels pretty dang cold to me! And yea there are 4 seasons here which is pretty cool but I'd still rather have Texas heat then a miserable winter.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:46 pm

As someone who's lived through a horrendous summer, I'd rather have a miserable winter than a horrid summer. You can always put more clothes on, but there's only so much you can take off.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:57 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:As someone who's lived through a horrendous summer, I'd rather have a miserable winter than a horrid summer. You can always put more clothes on, but there's only so much you can take off.

Plus, snow is pretty.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:38 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:As someone who's lived through a horrendous summer, I'd rather have a miserable winter than a horrid summer. You can always put more clothes on, but there's only so much you can take off.

The muthafucking credited response. I can't stand hot and humid summers.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:41 pm

vegenator wrote:
Fred_McGriff wrote: Dude, long time Northern resident from a cold part of the North. We got snow up here on October 15th and 16th of this year, we got snow this past May, and the May before.

+1 if you're talking about Minnesota. It snowed last year starting in mid October and we got our last snowfall in may. This year in the twin cities we've been lucky our first snowfall came this weekend . Did I mention January is the worst month temperature wise? Last year it never got above freezing in January. (-20 is fairly common, and -40 happens every few years). U of m and downtown Minneapolis and saint Paul all have skyways and tunnel systems so you barely have to be outside but let me tell you waiting for the bus in winter in mm sucks. Also it's humid here in the summer.

You might like northern California. Though hot, the summers are really dry. Winters are wet, but above freezing (around 40s and 50s). Plus you can always choose to drive into the Sierra negates if you really want to see snow. UC Davis or pacific would fit the bill.

Well, whatever, I've lived in other parts of the Midwest and East Coast where it does not typically snow in May. Snow is rare in May in most of the Midwest and East Coast.

I am originally from the Bay Area though. I wouldn't call the winters cold. It's like a lame spring year-round, except much rainier. You pretty much just get a ton of rain from October through early Spring [the South Bay is drier than the rest of the Bay] and snow is accessible 4+ hours away. If you like legitimately cold weather, and not just soggy/mild-ish weather, it's not really a good choice.

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:43 pm

OP is fat, so the cold won't be too big of a deal.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:55 pm

magicman554 wrote:OP is fat, so the cold won't be too big of a deal.

lol

Solid post

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:36 am

JazzOne wrote:

lol

Solid post

TITCR.

--ImageRemoved--

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:53 am

I'll say that you can get used to any weather but cold weather is always harder to get used to than warm weather. I say this from experience working construction so it is a little bit different from choosing a law school where you will be inside most of the time but when it is below 20 degrees you really can't wear enough to keep warm and at the same time move around with any comfort. Essentially the outside is lost for more than a few hours. It can be 100 degrees humid and you will get used to it in a teeshirt and shorts (maybe sweating but you will get used to it).

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:04 am

magicman is banned, so his trolling won't be too big of a deal.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”