T14 sticker or GW full ride?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thexfactor

Re: T14 sticker or GW full ride?

Postby thexfactor » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:51 pm

i donno.. id rather go to vandy with a near full ride or half scholly than GW with full ride.

Vandy almost doubles your chances of getting a good job as compared to GW.

Also, the DC market is really hurting.
Last edited by thexfactor on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mst

Postby mst » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:59 pm

I agree that Vandy full ride is better than GW full ride, but both are really good options full ride, so take that for what it is.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:22 pm

mst wrote:I agree that Vandy full ride is better than GW full ride, but both are really good options full ride, so take that for what it is.

Of course vandy is better full ride, it's the higher and better ranked school. That doesn't mean it's an option. Full ride to GW is easier to get then full ride to vandy

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:12 pm

is that really true? if i get into cornell and uva hypothetically, but want to practice in NYC, UVA is the better bet? i'm not grilling you. i really want to know, because it affects things for me (i.e. if i ED to UVA). this is the kind of info you can't get anywhere for free. i stopped trusting school's placement #'s when i discovered employment is not limited to legal employment so please provide all your insight. i'm pretty knowledgeable for an applicant, but i'd like to be as knowledgeable as possible.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:14 pm

justadude55 wrote:is that really true? if i get into cornell and uva hypothetically, but want to practice in NYC, UVA is the better bet? i'm not grilling you. i really want to know, because it affects things for me (i.e. if i ED to UVA). this is the kind of info you can't get anywhere for free.

Yes UVA is better even in NYC. problem is you would waste your ED to UVA. You dont understand.... you are below both medians, which means you wont get in

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:29 pm

thexfactor wrote:i donno.. id rather go to vandy with a near full ride or half scholly than GW with full ride.

Vandy almost doubles your chances of getting a good job as compared to GW.

Also, the DC market is really hurting.

i think it's a mischaracterization to say DC is hurting. DC is fine. it has always been the most selective market though, and when people with great grades and softs have fewer alternatives, the competition is even stiffer.

kkfish

Postby kkfish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:49 pm

It seems that more people here are voting for GW :)

2014 wrote:Above Average for a foreign applicant is not particularly good. From what I can tell, superior is not that hard to attain. I wouldn't anticipate money from the t14, and if you aren't a US citizen you are going to have to finance that 200k with private loans which are not forgiveable if you decide to do anything in public interest instead of IP.

I'd say GW for sure.
Last edited by kkfish on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:18 pm

jt1341 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:is that really true? if i get into cornell and uva hypothetically, but want to practice in NYC, UVA is the better bet? i'm not grilling you. i really want to know, because it affects things for me (i.e. if i ED to UVA). this is the kind of info you can't get anywhere for free.

Yes UVA is better even in NYC. problem is you would waste your ED to UVA. You dont understand.... you are below both medians, which means you wont get in

Before the economy crash Cornell used to do better than UVa in New York and arguably nationwide. Cornell got hit hard in the crash because NYC got hit hard.

However NYC is now the back to being the most active market. The difference between Cornell and UVa NYC placement was small, and is probably still small. The difference is too unclear to make any reasonably informed judgment.

As much as I hate Cornell it's a UVA peer school.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jt1341 wrote:

Before the economy crash Cornell used to do better than UVa in New York and arguably nationwide. Cornell got hit hard in the crash because NYC got hit hard.

However NYC is now the back to being the most active market. The difference between Cornell and UVa NYC placement was small, and is probably still small. The difference is too unclear to make any reasonably informed judgment.

Why the Cornell hate?

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jt1341 wrote:

So your saying to F MVP DCNG seperation and they are all equal

Postby 09042014 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:08 pm

jt1341 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
jt1341 wrote:

The distinction was pretty much always just USNews ranking. Employment prospects were mostly the same. In fact Cornell's small size and proximity and ties to NYC might have made it better if you just wanted big law.

G is a half a step lower. ITE Penn might be a half/quarter a step higher.

The job prospects are almost indistinguishable. Unless you have a regional preference I'd go to whichever is cheapest/fits best.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
jt1341 wrote:

The distinction was pretty much always just USNews ranking. Employment prospects were mostly the same. In fact Cornell's small size and proximity and ties to NYC might have made it better if you just wanted big law.

G is a half a step lower. ITE Penn might be a half/quarter a step higher.

The job prospects are almost indistinguishable. Unless you have a regional preference I'd go to whichever is cheapest/fits best.

I know i could find this myself but which is the cheapest when tying in everything (tuition, fees, COL) out of MVP? what about if you throw in DCNG?

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:19 pm

jt1341 wrote:

what are u talking about? i'm above the LSAT median.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:38 pm

justadude55 wrote:
jt1341 wrote:

what are u talking about? i'm above the LSAT median.

Im Sorry man, i messed up. Well i think you may be in ED

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:48 pm

im saving the fee waiver they gave me cause i can ED anytime, right?

gotta investigate your claim that they're better in NYC than Cornell.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:28 am

justadude55 wrote:im saving the fee waiver they gave me cause i can ED anytime, right?

gotta investigate your claim that they're better in NYC than Cornell.

Yea, ED anytime. Depending on your GPA/LSAT the longer you wait the worse your chances (from what i have heard)

I have never heard anyone say that Cornell is better then UVA in any way

Postby 005618502 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:30 am

This shows overwhelming support for UVA

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Though it is not only NYC biglaw

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:38 am

thanks for this chart. i will definitely use this in assessing schools who accept me. thanks! uva just had a bad prestige here or where i'm from...not bad, but not great. cornell is seen as "ivy." i don't care about prestige, though, or what people think. i'm all money and power driven so maybe uva is the best bet after all.....

Postby 005618502 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:42 am

justadude55 wrote:thanks for this chart. i will definitely use this in assessing schools who accept me. thanks! uva just had a bad prestige here or where i'm from...not bad, but not great. cornell is seen as "ivy." i don't care about prestige, though, or what people think. i'm all money and power driven so maybe uva is the best bet after all.....

Haha im there with you. I just care about getting a job. Mind me asking what the prestigue is thought of where your from (NY im guessing?)

here is something else that makes them look more equal. UVA a little better if you include clerkship (which you always should)

http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf

Postby 09042014 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:55 am

jt1341 wrote:This shows overwhelming support for UVA

Be careful treating that as gospel without considering context. Historically Cornell outplaces it in NLJ250 firms.

Firms in NYC no offered a lot more than other markets in 2009, but have also now recovered a bit better. You notice Columbia and NYU get beat out by Northwestern, a clearly inferior placing school. It's because Chicago didn't no offer as much, but now Chicago as a market is fucked.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:01 am

Desert Fox wrote:Before the economy crash Cornell used to do better than UVa in New York and arguably nationwide. Cornell got hit hard in the crash because NYC got hit hard.

Hell no. Cornell has the weakest non NYC placement of any top 14 school. It's clerkship placement is particularly weak; frankly Cornell is in a lot of ways, semi regional. It's simply that it's region is the one that has a lot of jobs and is glorified a lot. TLS glorifies schools that place heavily into NYC. This is why you will often see people call NYU a top 6 and how it is in another league than Michigan, but then turn around and say that Cornell and Michigan are peers. However, when you look at non NYC placement you find that there is no difference between Mich and NYU, but there's a noticeable gap between Michigan and Cornell.

UVA absolutely rocks Cornell in placing students into fed clerkships. If you want to work anywhere other than NYC, and your option is Cornell v. another top 14; go to the other top 14. TLS focuses heavily on NYC placement, go checkout how few non NYC firms do OCI at Cornell. Look at the grads they place into non NYC biglaw. The numbers don't look very different from Vanderbilt and Texas.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:01 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Be careful treating that as gospel without considering context. Historically Cornell outplaces it in NLJ250 firms.

Firms in NYC no offered a lot more than other markets in 2009, but have also now recovered a bit better. You notice Columbia and NYU get beat out by Northwestern, a clearly inferior placing school. It's because Chicago didn't no offer as much, but now Chicago as a market is fucked.

But you trust that??? ^^ i mean those numbers are rediculously high. No way 75% of columbia grads are working in NLJ250 and 60% of duke??? i mean come on, i think this: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1
Might be more accurate....

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:02 am

If you are choosing between UVA at sticker or Cornell at sticker, they are close enough where it can be a decision based on personal preference, although I believe that UVA is better numbers wise and quality of life wise. But, UVA is definitely more highly regarded as a law school and as an overall university in the business and legal realms (UVA dominates wall street along with the other ivy targets and if prestige is important to you, no one that will be important to your career will not know UVA Law is a stud school). If NYC biglaw is what you are looking for, Cornell is a great opportunity and they place extremely well during good times, but UVA is pretty much just as good, also, there is less competition at UVA for NYC. A lot of the people at UVA want to work in DC (HUGE majority), the south, west coast, etc. At cornell, I'd say that many want to work in the northeast and mainly NYC, so there will probably more competition for jobs coming out of Cornell for NYC.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:06 am

$$$$$$ wrote:If you are choosing between UVA at sticker or Cornell at sticker, they are close enough where it can be a decision based on personal preference, although I believe that UVA is better numbers wise and quality of life wise. But, UVA is definitely more highly regarded as a law school and as an overall university in the business and legal realms (UVA dominates wall street along with the other ivy targets and if prestige is important to you, no one that will be important to your career will not know UVA Law is a stud school). If NYC biglaw is what you are looking for, Cornell is a great opportunity and they place extremely well during good times, but UVA is pretty much just as good, also, there is less competition at UVA for NYC. A lot of the people at UVA want to work in DC (HUGE majority), the south, west coast, etc. At cornell, I'd say that many want to work in the northeast and mainly NYC, so there will probably more competition for jobs coming out of Cornell for NYC.

+1 well put

I also found another Source, it actually may be the same as my previous, but it looks different and i didnt put much comparision into the authors of each:

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

Edit: These numbers are much more recent, so this should be the source most referenced

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:13 am

jt1341 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

But you trust that??? ^^ i mean those numbers are rediculously high. No way 75% of columbia grads are working in NLJ250 and 60% of duke??? i mean come on, i think this: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1
Might be more accurate....
That's the same list from the same source, it's just a different year. The first two are from before lawpocalypse and the depressing one is from after.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”