T14 sticker or GW full ride?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kkfish

T14 sticker or GW full ride?

Postby kkfish » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:55 pm

I am financially tight, thinking of GW ED. But some ppl say that T14 sticker is worth the $$$
Not knowing if I should apply for the ED, tho I know well that most possibly I may also got denied.
Last edited by kkfish on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: T14 sticker or GW full ride?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:58 pm

If you want to do patent prosecution I'd try to rock that GW fullride ED.

kkfish

Postby kkfish » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:12 pm

I am not sure. I am thinking of doing IP related, but do not exclude other areas.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:14 pm

What is your LSAC GPA, you might get some money at the lower T14.

kkfish

Postby kkfish » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:17 pm

LSAT 170, UG GPA: above average, foreign.
I assume I may get some $$ at lower T14, but not know if I can get any loan then. Need a co-signer for loans

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:30 pm

Not familiar with how foreign applications are weighed, but...
All things considered, with that LSAT your best opportunity career-wise might be ED'ing (or even RD'ing!) to Mich or UVA. I think getting into one of those schools would be worth going at sticker. Of course, if you can't commit yourself to that financially, I think a full ride at GW beats getting an insignificant amount of money from Cornell or Georgetown. Just my $.02.

Edit: I also have to admit I don't really put any stock into the specialty rankings, especially if you're not dead-set on going into the field (e.g. IP)

kkfish

Postby kkfish » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Thanks for your nice advice. I will think about it seriously.

T6Hopeful wrote:Not familiar with how foreign applications are weighed, but...
All things considered, with that LSAT your best opportunity career-wise might be ED'ing (or even RD'ing!) to Mich or UVA. I think getting into one of those schools would be worth going at sticker. Of course, if you can't commit yourself to that financially, I think a full ride at GW beats getting an insignificant amount of money from Cornell or Georgetown. Just my $.02.

Edit: I also have to admit I don't really put any stock into the specialty rankings, especially if you're not dead-set on going into the field (e.g. IP)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:35 am

Something to consider - what you want to do now may not be what you want to do after a year of law school. Not having much debt will free you up considerably. However, you have to weigh that against the opportunity cost of not going to a T14.

Postby 2014 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:54 am

Above Average for a foreign applicant is not particularly good. From what I can tell, superior is not that hard to attain. I wouldn't anticipate money from the t14, and if you aren't a US citizen you are going to have to finance that 200k with private loans which are not forgiveable if you decide to do anything in public interest instead of IP.

I'd say GW for sure.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:59 am

kkfish wrote:I am financially tight, thinking of GW ED. But some ppl say that T14 sticker is worth the $$$
Not knowing if I should apply for the ED, tho I know well that most possibly I may also got denied.
I am a Science PhD candidate, 170.

i'd full ride to GW over any other school that you'd get into with those #'s. even if you got into michigan, the difference in the rankings probably won't be worth near to 160. GW is still a well respected law school, and while Michigan is Michigan, no one is confusing it with the top 5.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:00 am

2014 wrote:Above Average for a foreign applicant is not particularly good. From what I can tell, superior is not that hard to attain. I wouldn't anticipate money from the t14, and if you aren't a US citizen you are going to have to finance that 200k with private loans which are not forgiveable if you decide to do anything in public interest instead of IP.

I'd say GW for sure.

good point on the private loans.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:01 am

Is Cornell not a good bet career wise compared to Mich and UVA? My understanding was they're all about =, but no one wants to spend 3 years in Ithaca.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:29 am

justadude55 wrote:

Is Cornell not a good bet career wise compared to Mich and UVA? My understanding was they're all about =, but no one wants to spend 3 years in Ithaca.

MVP>>> DCNG

you know that

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:37 am

Try to contact some current GWU law students. I am familiar with three current students--all of whom are trying to transfer out. I do not know the specific reasons, but all three profess to be very unhappy there.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:42 am

jt1341 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

MVP>>> DCNG

you know that

Michigan is a TTT in decline.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:47 am

jt1341 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

PVDN>>> MCG

you know that
ftfy

Postby 09042014 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:54 am

IAFG wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

PVDN>>> MCG

you know that
ftfy

I'd call Michigan the Cornell of the midwest but we already have one.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:54 am

jt1341 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

MVP>>> DCNG

you know that

by like 3 closely linked schools....it isn't like the drop off from vandy to bc or stanford to michigan. isn't cornell better than virginia and michigan (substantially so) if you want to practice in the northeast?

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:56 am

Desert Fox wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

MVP>>> DCNG

you know that

you have a very big tier 3.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:07 am

Desert Fox wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

MVP>>> DCNG

you know that

I hear this a lot around here. On what basis do you conclude this? Mich seems to be doing pretty well ITE even.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:41 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:Is Cornell not a good bet career wise compared to Mich and UVA? My understanding was they're all about =, but no one wants to spend 3 years in Ithaca.

MVP>>> DCNG

you know that

I hear this a lot around here. On what basis do you conclude this? Mich seems to be doing pretty well ITE even.

Michigan has been stuck at a 169 median for the past 5 years or so (3rd lowest T14, ahead of Berkeley and Cornell), while Duke has joined the 170 club and Vandy's medians have almost matched Michigan's.

But in all seriousness, Michigan seems to be doing fine ITE, on par with VPDN.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:41 am

motiontodismiss wrote:

The rumors from their OCI were terrible, but they were just rumors. I don't know how well they really did. They used to be considered of the best law school in America, now they are getting outplaced by legit TTT's like NorthwesTTTern.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:45 am

Desert Fox wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:

The rumors from their OCI were terrible, but they were just rumors. I don't know how well they really did. They used to be considered of the best law school in America, now they are getting outplaced by legit TTT's like NorthwesTTTern.

At least they're not a TTTT like GeorgeTTTTown.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:47 am

Sentry wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:

At least they're not a TTTT like GeorgeTTTTown.

Or a TTTTT like BoalTTTTT.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:33 am

justadude55 wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

MVP>>> DCNG

you know that

by like 3 closely linked schools....it isn't like the drop off from vandy to bc or stanford to michigan. isn't cornell better than virginia and michigan (substantially so) if you want to practice in the northeast?

No cornell is not better then Mich or UVA... anywhere

Return to “Choosing a Law School”