Help Choosing Safety Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DAisaka09
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 3:20 am

Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby DAisaka09 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:55 pm

..
Last edited by DAisaka09 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:57 pm

WUSTL is a safety with your numbers.

DAisaka09
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby DAisaka09 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:02 pm

really? am i shooting too low then?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Not really, all these should also be safeties, so I think your list is fine.
BC
BU
GW
Fordham

DAisaka09
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby DAisaka09 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:07 pm

I'd like a few more schools on the west coast, do you think UC Hastings, Davis or Irvine worth it?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:14 pm

I'd add Davis as a safety, but it's not worth attending with your numbers. Hastings yield protects a lot of applicants with high numbers.

User avatar
TT09
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby TT09 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:24 pm

What about UIUC? It's Midwest, but still.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:34 pm

Do you really want safeties? I wouldn't recommend applying anywhere you wouldn't really go. A few schools that you would to go with a scholarship are ok but I don't really see the value of safeties ITE. If you don't get in, retake the lsat and/or more work experience.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby RVP11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:39 pm

im_blue wrote:I'd add Davis as a safety, but it's not worth attending with your numbers.


This is the problem with all safeties. You apply to safeties when you want to go to law school for cheap or free.

DAisaka09
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby DAisaka09 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:41 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Do you really want safeties? I wouldn't recommend applying anywhere you wouldn't really go. A few schools that you would to go with a scholarship are ok but I don't really see the value of safeties ITE. If you don't get in, retake the lsat and/or more work experience.


I think that's a good point, I'm probably unnecessarily paranoid about getting shut out this cycle. I'm a year out of school and am getting antsy but I really should be more patient.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby RVP11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:47 pm

DAisaka09 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Do you really want safeties? I wouldn't recommend applying anywhere you wouldn't really go. A few schools that you would to go with a scholarship are ok but I don't really see the value of safeties ITE. If you don't get in, retake the lsat and/or more work experience.


I think that's a good point, I'm probably unnecessarily paranoid about getting shut out this cycle. I'm a year out of school and am getting antsy but I really should be more patient.


I wouldn't take your numbers to anything lower than Cornell.

DAisaka09
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby DAisaka09 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:55 pm

Thanks folks, this discussion is really helping me figure out what types of schools I should be looking at. I think I can afford to be a little more aggressive and add some more reachish schools, UVA and Michigan maybe.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:55 pm

DAisaka09 wrote:Thanks folks, this discussion is really helping me figure out what types of schools I should be looking at. I think I can afford to be a little more aggressive and add some more reachish schools, UVA and Michigan maybe.


Definitely apply to those.

DAisaka09
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby DAisaka09 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:12 pm

..
Last edited by DAisaka09 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby RVP11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:19 pm

DAisaka09 wrote:Ok cool this is how things are looking now.

Michigan
UVA
Northwestern
Cornell
Duke
Georgetown
UCLA
USC
BC
BU
GW
Fordham

From the feedback I've gotten i'm feeling pretty confident about this list. Any other thoughts? Something I might be missing?


Where do you want to practice?

DAisaka09
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby DAisaka09 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:27 pm

I'd like to ultimately practice on the west coast but I'd be ok with being on the east coast. I just need to be near (relatively speaking) the ocean.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby RVP11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:57 pm

DAisaka09 wrote:I'd like to ultimately practice on the west coast but I'd be ok with being on the east coast. I just need to be near (relatively speaking) the ocean.


I'd ditch BC/BU/GW/Fordham if you're intent on going the big firm route. No one's holding a gun to your head to make you go to law school next year - don't attend a "safety" school.

DAisaka09
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby DAisaka09 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:59 pm

..
Last edited by DAisaka09 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Help Choosing Safety Schools

Postby RVP11 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:47 pm

DAisaka09 wrote:
DAisaka09 wrote:Ok cool this is how things are looking now.

Michigan
UVA
Northwestern
Cornell
Duke
Georgetown
UCLA
USC
BC
BU
GW
Fordham



I think I like my list pretty well so far, I might add UIUBC WU and ND even though I'm not a huge fan of the midwest. I figure I probably should just cast a wide net and see what happens


That's a waste of money.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests