160, 3.63? Where should I apply? Tier 1 possibility?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
coptic77

160, 3.63? Where should I apply? Tier 1 possibility?

Postby coptic77 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:36 pm

To clarify things further, here is some information. I took the LSAT 3x (Cancel, 153-sick, 160). I took Testmasters and even though I was scoring in the 163-165 range, I'm not upset at the score I received. I have a 3.63 in political science from the University of Florida with minors in religion and anthropology with a very positive grade trend (I suffered from depression my first year). My last 4 semesters were all 4.0s. I'm Bangladeshi descent and have good soft factors. Thanks in advance for any advice.

TT09

Re: 160, 3.63? Where should I apply? Tier 1 possibility?

Postby TT09 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:06 pm

coptic77 wrote:To clarify things further, here is some information. I took the LSAT 3x (Cancel, 153-sick, 160). I took Testmasters and even though I was scoring in the 163-165 range, I'm not upset at the score I received. I have a 3.63 in political science from the University of Florida with minors in religion and anthropology with a very positive grade trend (I suffered from depression my first year). My last 4 semesters were all 4.0s. I'm Bangladeshi descent and have good soft factors. Thanks in advance for any advice.

lawschoolpredictor.com says hi

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:35 pm

What he said. If you want solid advice, ask for advice on particular schools. Don't ask for people to just randomly throw out schools.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:16 pm

coptic77 wrote:To clarify things further, here is some information. I took the LSAT 3x (Cancel, 153-sick, 160). I took Testmasters and even though I was scoring in the 163-165 range, I'm not upset at the score I received. I have a 3.63 in political science from the University of Florida with minors in religion and anthropology with a very positive grade trend (I suffered from depression my first year). My last 4 semesters were all 4.0s. I'm Bangladeshi descent and have good soft factors. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'll play. Where do you hope to work?

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:21 pm

I would advise you not to choose one school over another simply because the former is a Tier 1.

When people ask whether or not they have a shot at the T13, it makes sense, because there is a difference between these schools and the rest. However, there is no difference between a school ranked 45 and a school ranked 75. I think most on TLS would agree with this.

Edit: Accidentally wrote "T14" instead of "T13."
Last edited by GettingReady2010 on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:38 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Where do you hope to work?

coptic77

Postby coptic77 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:55 pm

Sorry I didn't clarify that. Though I would not mind Florida, I would prefer somewhere further north. DC, VA, MA or NY would be nice. How is U Minnesota (Twin Cities)?

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:57 pm

minnesota is allright.. it gets cold in the winters.... plan a nice trip to the twin cities region around january and see

coptic77

Postby coptic77 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:02 am

northwood wrote:minnesota is allright.. it gets cold in the winters.... plan a nice trip to the twin cities region around january and see

Thanks northwood for the reply. I'm actually wanting to leave Florida because I've never visited another state. And about U Minnesota, do I have a chance? The admissions predictor says I would be considered.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:06 am

i think you have a decent chance.

before you make a huge climate change, make sure to visit in january. It gets bone chilling cold. Minnesotians are very nice people, very warm and welcoming. A lot of good people around. However, its important to keep in mind how you react to the cold, and grey skies of the winter months up north. If you are prone to the winter blues, a week of snow or grey skies may help make you feel down. Just some food for thought.

ps. hot chocolate with baileys is a nice warm up drink!

coptic77

Postby coptic77 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:42 am

Sounds great northwood. I have never seen snow. I will definitely consider your advice.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:52 am

coptic77 wrote:Sorry I didn't clarify that. Though I would not mind Florida, I would prefer somewhere further north. DC, VA, MA or NY would be nice. How is U Minnesota (Twin Cities)?

You're numbers probably aren't good enough for FSU, but you may sneak into UF. Apply to both. Those are the only schools worth going to in FL. DC is the toughest market to crack right now. You don't have a shot at the schools that do well there. Not sure about the rest of VA. Not sure about MA outside of Boston, but Boston is fairly provincial and competitive, and BC and BU are there. I wouldn't do Northeastern or Suffolk and count of Boston. NY outside of NYC I'm not sure about, but like DC, you don't have the scores to get into a school that places well in NYC.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:25 am

rad law wrote:
coptic77 wrote:Sorry I didn't clarify that. Though I would not mind Florida, I would prefer somewhere further north. DC, VA, MA or NY would be nice. How is U Minnesota (Twin Cities)?

You're numbers probably aren't good enough for FSU, but you may sneak into UF. Apply to both. Those are the only schools worth going to in FL.

UF has 3.67/162 medians compared to FSU's 3.52/162. If anything, OP is an auto-ding at UF but might sneak into FSU. I agree with the rest of the post - numbers aren't good enough for any worthwhile law schools in DC, VA, MA, or NY.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:24 am

im_blue wrote:
rad law wrote:

You're numbers probably aren't good enough for FSU, but you may sneak into UF. Apply to both. Those are the only schools worth going to in FL.

UF has 3.67/162 medians compared to FSU's 3.52/162. If anything, OP is an auto-ding at UF but might sneak into FSU. I agree with the rest of the post - numbers aren't good enough for any worthwhile law schools in DC, VA, MA, or NY.

Just checked my LSN. You're right wrt FSU/UF.

coptic77

Postby coptic77 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks for your input rad law and im_blue. Do you guys think American U is worth looking into? What about GW PT? Is Cardozo a possibility as well?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:17 pm

coptic77 wrote:Thanks for your input rad law and im_blue. Do you guys think American U is worth looking into? What about GW PT? Is Cardozo a possibility as well?

American is not worth looking into. Expensive, not very prestigious, and feeds into a crowded market. Same with Cardozo.

GW PT would probably be worth it, but you're almost assuredly not going to get in.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:30 pm

northwood wrote:i think you have a decent chance.

before you make a huge climate change, make sure to visit in january. It gets bone chilling cold. Minnesotians are very nice people, very warm and welcoming. A lot of good people around. However, its important to keep in mind how you react to the cold, and grey skies of the winter months up north. If you are prone to the winter blues, a week of snow or grey skies may help make you feel down. Just some food for thought.

ps. hot chocolate with baileys is a nice warm up drink!

I've heard about the "winter blues"! I'm from Florida too and applied to some northern schools. I really wonder what it would be like to be without sun for a whole week.

Also, I was under the impression that Minnesota was extremely hard to get into. I guess not?

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:17 pm

TT09 wrote:lawschoolpredictor.com says hi

This.

GettingReady2010 wrote:I would advise you not to choose one school over another simply because the former is a Tier 1.

This

and

shoot an app to Tulane. admissions here is a :little: less based on numbers than other schools and your numbers aren't terrible if you have a good story. plus, NOLA is crazy fun. /shameless promotion.

(I'd also advocate Wake. and better Biglaw chances out of Wake. [read: remote possibility, as opposed to slim-to-none])

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:20 pm

Nowhere.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:24 pm

the winter blues arent directly caused by the sun. Rather it is most likely caused by staying indoors, not being as social as you normally are during the warmer months, and not exercising a lot. To help combat them, make sure to go outside and do something. Go cross country skiing, ice skating, have a snowball fight, make a snowman, play snow football, snow volleyball, or pond hockey. Just make sure to pencil in time to have fun and be social. IF its too cold out for your likes, make sure to visit with friends, and do something to take your mind off of school, work, deadlines, schedules, or whatnot ( can do with or without alcohol). A lot of times, people dont want to do anything fun outside because its not bright and sunny out. There are still plenty of things to do that are fun. Just dont let yourself get stuck in a rut of studying, sleeping, watching tv, and not doing anything fun. Also, make sure to eat some fruits and veggies ( you need vitamin D). If you really miss the sun, go visit a tanning bed every once in a long while. SUre they are horrible and nasty, but after a few days of grey skies, and cold winds, just feeling the warmth from light can help make you smile and remember that summer is only a few short months away.

hope this helps op and barbie.

ps... theres nothing funnier than hitting your friend with a perfect snowball when they least expect it... Funny for you, maybe not so much for them. ( but all is fair amongst friends, right??)

coptic77

Postby coptic77 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:55 pm

Thanks for the great feedback. I'll take a look into Tulane and Wake. I hadn't considered those options but know those are some great schools.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:35 pm

northwood wrote:the winter blues arent directly caused by the sun. Rather it is most likely caused by staying indoors, not being as social as you normally are during the warmer months, and not exercising a lot. To help combat them, make sure to go outside and do something. Go cross country skiing, ice skating, have a snowball fight, make a snowman, play snow football, snow volleyball, or pond hockey. Just make sure to pencil in time to have fun and be social. IF its too cold out for your likes, make sure to visit with friends, and do something to take your mind off of school, work, deadlines, schedules, or whatnot ( can do with or without alcohol). A lot of times, people dont want to do anything fun outside because its not bright and sunny out. There are still plenty of things to do that are fun. Just dont let yourself get stuck in a rut of studying, sleeping, watching tv, and not doing anything fun. Also, make sure to eat some fruits and veggies ( you need vitamin D). If you really miss the sun, go visit a tanning bed every once in a long while. SUre they are horrible and nasty, but after a few days of grey skies, and cold winds, just feeling the warmth from light can help make you smile and remember that summer is only a few short months away.

hope this helps op and barbie.

ps... theres nothing funnier than hitting your friend with a perfect snowball when they least expect it... Funny for you, maybe not so much for them. ( but all is fair amongst friends, right??)

+1 million...

...coming from a FL native/SoCal grad that moved to Denver for work post-UG. Although I happen to live in one of the most active outdoor states in the US of A, I couldn't agree more with norwood. Oh, and if you're really worried about winter blues, come to Denver, it's sunny all the time ;) too bad I'll probably be leaving next fall.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:23 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:I would advise you not to choose one school over another simply because the former is a Tier 1.

When people ask whether or not they have a shot at the T13, it makes sense, because there is a difference between these schools and the rest. However, there is no difference between a school ranked 45 and a school ranked 75. I think most on TLS would agree with this.

You must live under a bridge because that is some epic Gtown trolling.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:26 pm

FuManChusco wrote:

dude, everybody knows it is the t13. that was decided last year. old news.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:34 pm

FuManChusco wrote:

You must live under a rock, because it's been T13 since last year.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”