Charleston School of Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ryleez

Charleston School of Law

Postby ryleez » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:35 pm

I just recieved a fee waiver and decided to apply to Charleston. I know this seems weird applying first and asking questions later, but what's 12 bucks. I'm not interested in big law at all and just want to open up a practice later on down the road. Positives and Negatives would be much appreciated

ryleez

Re: Charleston School of Law

Postby ryleez » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:37 pm

P.S.
I have a 3.9 GPA and am double majoring in Econ. and English. I have a 154 LSAT (I know, waste of GPA). Would I be able to pull good scholarship money in from this school???

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:15 am

All I know about them is that they are relatively new and just recently got ABA approved (provisionally I believe). I looked at it just because if I could live anywhere in the country, employment prospects not considered, it would probably be Charleston. I couldn't tell you anything about how good the school is or anything compared to anywhere else you are applying. Maybe if you could get in contact with some Charleston firms they would be able to tell you if it is worth considering.

TLS consensus would be to retake the LSAT though.

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:17 am

Are you from SC? The legal market there is very insular.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:00 am

I wouldn't go to a school that's basically barely established. No reputation, no alumni, probably expensive with minimal endowment. Seems like a bad idea. And SC's legal market is tiny and insular.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:14 pm

eandy wrote:Are you from SC? The legal market there is very insular.

Not looking at CSOL, but am curious to learn more about the insular nature of the legal market in SC. How insular? Specifically, what if someone not "originally" from SC (or any other southern states) graduates from U of South Carolina. Can they still face difficulties?

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:58 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:

Not looking at CSOL, but am curious to learn more about the insular nature of the legal market in SC. How insular? Specifically, what if someone not "originally" from SC (or any other southern states) graduates from U of South Carolina. Can they still face difficulties?

They're probably fine, then, as long as they make some strategic friends.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:04 pm

eandy wrote:
LSAT Taker wrote:

They're probably fine, then, as long as they make some strategic friends.

Thanks. I feel both relieved and scared to hear that. I should probably start practicing the accurate pronunciation of "y'all" just in case.

Pillsbury

Postby Pillsbury » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:37 am

I went to Charleston Law. A scholarship for an LSAT score of 154 is not going to happen. The city of Charleston is a friendly place and I absolutely loved living there. It's the reason I chose Charleston Law. The legal market in South Carolina consists of about 12,000 lawyers, spread fairly evenly over the Upstate, Midlands, and lowcountry. There are about 3,000 lawyers in Charleston. When I graduated from CSOL, I had job opportunities in Charleston.

As to the insular nature of South Carolina, it used to be that a law degree from USC held more credibility than a degree from any other school. I would say that it's still that way, but the state is growing quickly and the coastal area (especially the lowcountry) is becoming very diverse and cosmopolitan. I have been suprised at the number of my friends from CSOL who have gotten prestigious clerkships and big firm jobs (okay, big for SC) throughout the state, especially in the lowcountry. Bottom Line: If you want to practice in South Carolina (and you're not from South Carolina), it definately helps to go school here. Grads of law schools in GA and NC also seem to do pretty well. Outside of those, however, you're just another carpetbagger, even if you went to a Top 15 law school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”