Columbia or Pepperdine

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby lisjjen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:12 pm

On the face of it, this seems like a ludicrous question. Columbia all the way right? However, I already have 19 applications in, half of them to T14's, and I only have one safety school - plus, they'd likely give me healthy scholarships to live in paradise. I have fee waivers to both and wanted to make it an even 20. I generally want to live on the West Coast and I specifically don't want to live in Manhattan.

Columbia is Columbia, but before you answer, just look at the campus.

Image
Last edited by lisjjen on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby joemoviebuff » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:20 pm

If Columbia was in hell I'd still go there.

User avatar
Fresh
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby Fresh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:25 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:If Columbia was in hell I'd still go there.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:59 pm

Is this a joke?

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby $1.99 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:00 pm

stop making useless threads you clown.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:04 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:If Columbia was in hell and charged $100k/year for tuition I'd still go there.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby lisjjen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:07 pm

$1.99 wrote:stop making useless threads you clown.


I don't see this as a useless thread. Columbia is a reach that would drown me in 6 figures of debt if I could get in. On the other hand, there is no such thing as a slam dunk in law school apps, but Pepperdine is - shall we say - more certain. I'm wanting to go into public policy so a school that would most likely provide scholarship assistance is quite attractive. When it's in Malibu, that is also quite attractive.

I don't troll, and if you feel that I've wasted your time, then I'm sorry that I am trying to make an informed decision. Maybe they should make an informative website about law schools for me to go to. For the time being, this is what I have.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:09 pm

lisjjen wrote:
$1.99 wrote:stop making useless threads you clown.


I don't see this as a useless thread. Columbia is a reach that would drown me in 6 figures of debt if I could get in. On the other hand, there is no such thing as a slam dunk in law school apps, but Pepperdine is - shall we say - more certain. I'm wanting to go into public policy so a school that would most likely provide scholarship assistance is quite attractive. When it's in Malibu, that is also quite attractive.

I don't troll, and if you feel that I've wasted your time, then I'm sorry that I am trying to make an informed decision. Maybe they should make an informative website about law schools for me to go to. For the time being, this is what I have.


This post is patently false. There are slam dunks in law school apps. They are called safeties.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby IAFG » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:11 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:There are slam dunks in law school apps. They are called safeties.

yeah, you never get WL'd at safeties, thank God

spondee
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby spondee » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Does it really matter? If Columbia's a reach, if you hate NY, if Pepperdine's a "safety," and, most importantly, if you already have apps into 19 other schools, including a bunch of T14s, then you seem unlikely to attend either Columbia or Pepperdine. So just apply to the one you'd rather attend, which sounds like Pepperdine. (Personally, I'd say 19 apps is more than enough; don't apply to either.)

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby nealric » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:23 pm

This is a ludacris question?

Image

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby lisjjen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:38 pm

20 Even. The application to Columbia is filtering through the intertubes as of now. If I'm wanting to go into policy, you can do worse than Hamilton and FDR's alma mater.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby 005618502 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:53 pm

wow

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:14 pm

lisjjen wrote:20 Even. The application to Columbia is filtering through the intertubes as of now. If I'm wanting to go into policy, you can do worse than Hamilton and FDR's alma mater.


If you have a job lined up in SoCal, go for Pepperdine. Otherwise, passing up Columbia for a TT school is unwise.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby beachbum » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:24 pm

A very scenic three years is a hell of a price to pay for doc review/unemployment. Also, Pepperdine's law building leaves much to be desired, and the campus isn't very pedestrian-friendly. If you absolutely must live in SoCal, take the huge scholarship from UCLA.

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby mst » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:30 pm

beachbum wrote:A very scenic three years is a hell of a price to pay for doc review/unemployment. Also, Pepperdine's law building leaves much to be desired, and the campus isn't very pedestrian-friendly. If you absolutely must live in SoCal, take the huge scholarship from UCLA.


This. Plus the fact that while Pepperdine is in a beautiful location, it's a total ***** to have to go anywhere in LA from there, aside from the coast. I much prefer UCLA's ideal location. It's not too far from downtown, not too far from the beach, in a beautiful area... oh yeah, and it's a MUCH better school. But this thread has been solved: to other readers... when choosing between Pepperdine and Columbia, ALWAYS CHOOSE COLUMBIA.

User avatar
JG Hall
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby JG Hall » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:35 pm

I hope you go to Pepperdine.

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby Entchen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:07 pm

lisjjen wrote:Columbia is Columbia, but before you answer, just look at the campus.

It looks like a parking garage. A kind of ugly parking garage.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:12 pm

$1.99 wrote:stop making useless threads you clown.


Amen

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby Ragged » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:16 pm

Entchen wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Columbia is Columbia, but before you answer, just look at the campus.

It looks like a parking garage. A kind of ugly parking garage.


+1.


Just how much of a reach is Columbia? Stats would make this alot simpler.

Also, like someone said above, if you have great connections in Cali and likely job lined up upon graduation free TTT might be the way to go. But for the great majority of us without such a luxury Columbia is always a better choice.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:27 pm

If you can get C then you can get B/UCLA/USC. Keep trolling Pepperdine though. At least you can enjoy the weather while you're living on the streets.

champ33
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby champ33 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:20 pm

Ludacris WOULD ask this question.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:31 pm

JG Hall wrote:I hope you go to Pepperdine.


Best response so far.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby lisjjen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:51 pm

JG Hall wrote:I hope you go to Pepperdine.


Oh thank you. I like constructive criticism.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Columbia or Pepperdine

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:14 pm

beachbum wrote:A very scenic three years is a hell of a price to pay for doc review/unemployment. Also, Pepperdine's law building leaves much to be desired, and the campus isn't very pedestrian-friendly. If you absolutely must live in SoCal, take the huge scholarship from UCLA.


That could be said of all of SoCal and some of NorCal. And Texas. But at least Texas is cheap. LA is like an expensive, more glittery version of Houston.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest