Michigan State or????

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cantthinkofone

Michigan State or????

Postby cantthinkofone » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:44 pm

I might not have a lot of choices given constraints:

I haven't sat for the LSAT yet (February), and have a 3.45 uGPA. Looking for a JD as an alternative to an MBA. Just left 15 years at a top Aerospace company (think 747), for a Senior Program Manager role at a Fortune 4 company in Grand Rapids, MI. I make low $100's so not looking for a career change, just another degree. Employer will pay cost of degree (B's or better, post grade), so debt shouldn't be too much of an issue either.

Is there any other option than Michigan State seeing as how I am stuck In Grand Rapids?

thexfactor

Re: Michigan State or????

Postby thexfactor » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:05 pm

cantthinkofone wrote:I might not have a lot of choices given constraints:

I haven't sat for the LSAT yet (February), and have a 3.45 uGPA. Looking for a JD as an alternative to an MBA. Just left 15 years at a top Aerospace company (think 747), for a Senior Program Manager role at a Fortune 4 company in Grand Rapids, MI. I make low $100's so not looking for a career change, just another degree. Employer will pay cost of degree (B's or better, post grade), so debt shouldn't be too much of an issue either.

Is there any other option than Michigan State seeing as how I am stuck In Grand Rapids?

YOu have to watch out for MSU's curve. I think the curve is pretty low.
I think you should just go for a MBA. Is there a reason why you are looking at a JD instead of a MBA?

cantthinkofone

Postby cantthinkofone » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:17 pm

thexfactor wrote:
cantthinkofone wrote:I might not have a lot of choices given constraints:

YOu have to watch out for MSU's curve. I think the curve is pretty low.
I think you should just go for a MBA. Is there a reason why you are looking at a JD instead of a MBA?

MBA's are as prevalent as HS Diploma's around here. They look good for the kids with 0 - 5 years experience, doesn't buy me much internally with 20+ years. Curve might be an issue. I can handle a few class costs out of pocket, but wouldn't want to pay the full degree. Then the other point is the competition with the wife (she has 2 engineering undergrads, MBA, MS and JD (Loyola)).

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:20 pm

The curve is the only warning I would have as well. Wikipedia says that Michigan State has about a 3.2 curve though, so you should be good. I'd call up the school and ask them about it.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:37 pm

If you do well on the lsat (165+) you could probably get in for damn near free there anyways...

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:12 pm

What about Michigan MBA vs. Michigan State JD. With that much experience, you will prob get into Umich MBA program. I Think the Ross school of business MBA is much more valuable. Particularly in Michigan.

kaftka juice

Postby kaftka juice » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:53 pm

thexfactor wrote:What about Michigan MBA vs. Michigan State JD. With that much experience, you will prob get into Umich MBA program. I Think the Ross school of business MBA is much more valuable. Particularly in Michigan.

I have to agree with that. Plus Ann Arbor is waaaay cooler than East Lansing (I do have a bias, though).

Why exactly do you want a J.D. again? I don't understand why an employer would pay for it if it's just for shits and giggles.

kaftka juice

Postby kaftka juice » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:56 pm

Oh, and out of curiosity, what undergrad did you go to? My SO has been pining for a job at the B forever (he's also from Grand Rapids, ha!)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”