UMaryland for Philly/DC?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
arvcondor

UMaryland for Philly/DC?

Postby arvcondor » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:15 am

Or are both crowded out by their respective glut of schools, therefore leaving UMD only Baltimore? I'm seriously looking at UMD because I really like its curriculum, and I'm placed out of GW up. (American doesn't really appeal to me. Unless it should, and if so, please make the case.)

im_blue

Re: UMaryland for Philly/DC?

Postby im_blue » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:30 am

If you want Philly/DC, you should be looking at Temple, Nova, American, and George Mason.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:02 am

If you want to work in DC, you're going to have a very difficult time doing it from American, Maryland, Catholic, etc...

If you want to work in Philly, go to Temple or Nova. If you do well there, you can at least try for DC as well. If you strike out on DC at American and the like, you're just screwed, and top students at American etc... are striking out.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:07 am

Thanks for the advice. I guess the alluring thing about UMD is that its course offerings are much more interesting than Temple's (trial advocacy, anyone?).

I would think its proximity to DC would be somewhat advantageous.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:16 am

arvcondor wrote:Thanks for the advice. I guess the alluring thing about UMD is that its course offerings are much more interesting than Temple's (trial advocacy, anyone?).

DC is rough. Being in/close to the city doesn't help much even for Georgetown and GW ITE (although, both of those schools do fine in DC, it's not like it used to be). Like I said before, if you do well at some school in another market, you at least get the opportunity to tap into that market, and try for DC.

I wouldn't worry about something as trivial as trial ad programs either. If you ever decide to do it, and you go to some national competitions, you'll see that a lot of TTT's do very very well at these competitions. Would you go to them solely because of that?

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:43 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
arvcondor wrote:Thanks for the advice. I guess the alluring thing about UMD is that its course offerings are much more interesting than Temple's (trial advocacy, anyone?).

DC is rough. Being in/close to the city doesn't help much even for Georgetown and GW ITE (although, both of those schools do fine in DC, it's not like it used to be). Like I said before, if you do well at some school in another market, you at least get the opportunity to tap into that market, and try for DC.

I wouldn't worry about something as trivial as trial ad programs either. If you ever decide to do it, and you go to some national competitions, you'll see that a lot of TTT's do very very well at these competitions. Would you go to them solely because of that?
Just to clarify, I was referring to Temple's over-conentration in trial ad. UMD just has a more diverse catalog.

hithere

Postby hithere » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:55 am

Getting a job in DC is going to be tough (especially coming from a school not in the top 20). From what I hear, Bmore firms aren't hiring. I'd go to Temple or Nova and try to land a Philly gig. Those schools give you the best shot at landing a job.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:38 am

So, I emailed a UMD grad practicing in Philly. I'd love to hear all of your thoughts on her response:

"It may be a bit more common than you think, although a large portion of the class will take jobs in Baltimore or DC. There is another attorney from our Philly office who went to Maryland, and I know two students from law review who went to Philly firms. There is also a good amount that went to NY, Chicago, etc. Even though any law school might place a lot of its students in particular cities, what it seems to really come down to is (1) your grades in law school and your background, which will help you get interviews at firms regardless of the city; and (2) and I know this goes for my firm, simply showing that you are committed to being in Philly (or the city in which you are interviewing). It doesn't seem like you would have a problem doing this since you've spent a considerable amount of time in Philly already."

Return to “Choosing a Law School”