What will I lose by not going HYS? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Chris_cpb

Bronze

Re: What will I lose by not going HYS?

Post by Chris_cpb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:21 am

Flame.

Billy Shakes

New

Post by Billy Shakes » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:21 am

St.Remy wrote:Haha, pretty sure you're a flame but I'll play along. To clerk for the Supreme Court go to HYS, with emphasis on the Y.
I see that U. Chicago graduates clerk: "During the 2004-05 term, seven Chicago graduates clerked for the justices in the U.S. Supreme Court."

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:22 am

Shut. Up.

Billy Shakes

New

Post by Billy Shakes » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:27 am

St.Remy wrote:Shut. Up.
I don't see what I could have done to offended anyone, unless being accused of being a "flame" is offensive. "Flamer" as in homosexual? That's very silly, as I've already said that family is a consideration in choosing to apply this season.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:33 am

Billy Shakes wrote:
St.Remy wrote:Shut. Up.
I don't see what I could have done to offended anyone, unless being accused of being a "flame" is offensive. "Flamer" as in homosexual? That's very silly, as I've already said that family is a consideration in choosing to apply this season.
Okay, now I'm sure you're trolling.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Chris_cpb

Bronze

Post by Chris_cpb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:35 am

No worries. I've already contacted the internet police and they are on their way to take the poster into custody. The poster's actual identity has been reported to all firms.

Billy Shakes

New

Post by Billy Shakes » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:45 am

...Thanks to all who took the time to give me legitimate advice; I sincerely appreciate it. Even so, I didn't mean to offend anyone by refusing to give my numbers. I would just like to keep that information private.

Chris_cpb

Bronze

Post by Chris_cpb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:48 am

Billy Shakes wrote:...Thanks to all who took the time to give me legitimate advice; I sincerely appreciate it. Even so, I didn't mean to offend anyone by refusing to give my numbers. I would just like to keep that information private.
I'm very offended that you did not give out your numbers. That is so rude! Why couldn't you share this personal information?!

Billy Shakes

New

Post by Billy Shakes » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:53 am

Chris_cpb wrote:
Billy Shakes wrote:...Thanks to all who took the time to give me legitimate advice; I sincerely appreciate it. Even so, I didn't mean to offend anyone by refusing to give my numbers. I would just like to keep that information private.
I'm very offended that you did not give out your numbers. That is so rude! Why couldn't you share this personal information?!
Two reasons. The first is that I've read that members of law school admissions committees participate on this forum. I would hate for someone from U. Chicago to identify me by my GPA and LSAT score and then glean from this post that I consider U. Chicago a back-up plan, which is definitely not the case. I've loved the school ever since I accompanied my brother on his U. Chicago college visit. The second reason is that it is irrelevant to the original question that I asked.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

prismz

New

Post by prismz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:27 am

Billy Shakes wrote:
Chris_cpb wrote:
Two reasons. The first is that I've read that members of law school admissions committees participate on this forum. I would hate for someone from U. Chicago to identify me by my GPA and LSAT score and then glean from this post that I consider U. Chicago a back-up plan, which is definitely not the case. I've loved the school ever since I accompanied my brother on his U. Chicago college visit. The second reason is that it is irrelevant to the original question that I asked.
now you've outed yourself

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:57 am

If you go to Chicago, Harvard and Yale graduates may look down on you. If you go to Harvard or Yale, no one will look down on you. You will have climbed Everest. This may not translate directly to job prospects or anything concrete, but I'm sure it feels damn nice.

Edit: Please take this in the spirit it was intended, from someone who will not be attending Chicago or Yale or Harvard, looking at it from a layman's perspective.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:16 am

...... a small little chuckle when you reflect on your life while you are laying in your death bed. Of course that is only if you are not one of the few people selected to live on a space station to be sent to one of Jupiter's moons. Then you will be cryo, and perhaps live forever. Or at least you can be certain when you do die that you will come back on a much higher spiritual plane.

Noval

Bronze

Post by Noval » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Billy Shakes wrote:
rayiner wrote:Everlasting prestige.
Is law school the only place where prestige can be won? I'm wondering about differences more tangible than prestige. Say you're in the top 20% of your class at U. Chicago, is there anything that an HYS student could do that you couldn't?
An HYS guy can have average grades and still get considered above average in OCI while a Chicago student will need good grades and the ability to fight slightly harder to get a job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:31 pm

omninode wrote:If you go to Chicago, Harvard and Yale graduates may look down on you. If you go to Harvard or Yale, no one will look down on you. You will have climbed Everest. This may not translate directly to job prospects or anything concrete, but I'm sure it feels damn nice.

Edit: Please take this in the spirit it was intended, from someone who will not be attending Chicago or Yale or Harvard, looking at it from a layman's perspective.

Where is S in all of this?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:32 pm

Noval wrote:
Billy Shakes wrote:
rayiner wrote:Everlasting prestige.
Is law school the only place where prestige can be won? I'm wondering about differences more tangible than prestige. Say you're in the top 20% of your class at U. Chicago, is there anything that an HYS student could do that you couldn't?
An HYS guy can have average grades and still get considered above average in OCI while a Chicago student will need good grades and the ability to fight slightly harder to get a job.
What if you went to HYS for undergrad and grad, but LS at Chicago? Where is the prestige factor there?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:34 pm

prismz wrote:
Billy Shakes wrote:
Chris_cpb wrote:
now you've outed yourself

4for44

Bronze

Post by 4for44 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:41 pm

r6_philly wrote:
omninode wrote:If you go to Chicago, Harvard and Yale graduates may look down on you. If you go to Harvard or Yale, no one will look down on you. You will have climbed Everest. This may not translate directly to job prospects or anything concrete, but I'm sure it feels damn nice.

Stanford Lay prestige is minimal compared to HY, I'd say Columbia even outdoes it with lay prestige... Of course... Lay prestige means nothing unless you want to pursue politics, or want to be a flaming d-bag... then it definitely helps

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:42 pm

My respect.

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:56 pm

4for44 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Stanford Lay prestige is minimal compared to HY, I'd say Columbia even outdoes it with lay prestige... Of course... Lay prestige means nothing unless you want to pursue politics, or want to be a flaming d-bag... then it definitely helps
Exactly. No offense to Stanford but people who are not "in the know" do not talk about it as being on the same level as Harvard or Yale. Those two are absolutely the most well-known and respected law schools in the country.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:55 pm

4for44 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

This becomes less true the further away you get from NYC. I grew up in northern Virginia, and I didn't even know that Columbia was that good. Doesn't have the wow factor that Stanford does.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:04 pm

rayiner wrote: This becomes less true the further away you get from NYC. I grew up in northern Virginia, and I didn't even know that Columbia was that good. Doesn't have the wow factor that Stanford does.
Maybe because 1) not from NYC, 2) you are an engineer. Stanford/MIT/CMU is considered the best in my field, and I can't say I know anyone who would seriously hold Columbia over Stanford. Even in Philly. H is universal, but not too many people understand Y. I think most people I know would rather see me going to S than Y. I think most people in my field would feel that Berkeley has more prestige than Columbia.

This is all non-legal talk, of course.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mindybluehammer

New

Post by mindybluehammer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:06 pm

just go your ed route, no real diff. in education b/w CLA (cooley law academy) and harvard, you take the same classes just douches go there and people who want to do law go to CLA.

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:22 pm

mindybluehammer wrote:just go your ed route, no real diff. in education b/w CLA (cooley law academy) and harvard, you take the same classes just douches go there and people who want to do law go to CLA.
Wrong.

I think if you visited both schools you would notice quite a difference.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:
rayiner wrote: This becomes less true the further away you get from NYC. I grew up in northern Virginia, and I didn't even know that Columbia was that good. Doesn't have the wow factor that Stanford does.
Maybe because 1) not from NYC, 2) you are an engineer. Stanford/MIT/CMU is considered the best in my field, and I can't say I know anyone who would seriously hold Columbia over Stanford. Even in Philly. H is universal, but not too many people understand Y. I think most people I know would rather see me going to S than Y. I think most people in my field would feel that Berkeley has more prestige than Columbia.

This is all non-legal talk, of course.
Engineering is partly it, obviously. Tons of Stanford engineers crawling around DC (DARPA, etc). But also, I think Stanford grads are more highly represented in government. Have encountered several Stanford lawyers at DC firms, far fewer Columbia grads.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:29 pm

Most people score a little below (at least) their PT
I absolutely would not count on hitting your PT- this happens, but it's not the average.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”