Same LS as UG?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
arism87

Same LS as UG?

Postby arism87 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:48 pm

Did anyone choose to go to LS where they did UG or have friends who did? What are the pros and cons, and would you recommend it?

(I don't mean I would choose a law school BECAUSE it's my UG, rather if it's a good choice for me independently of that fact, what else should I consider if admitted?)

gdane

Re: Same LS as UG?

Postby gdane » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:03 pm

Theres nothing wrong with this.

The pro's and con's depend on your UG.

If your ug was some rinky dink college, chances are the law schools reputation doesnt fare much better. If your ug had a very good reputation, chances are the law school also has a good reputation.

Only you can decide where you want to go. If you want better answers, be more specific. Whats your ug?

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:03 pm

gdane5 wrote:Theres nothing wrong with this.

The pro's and con's depend on your UG.

If your ug was some rinky dink college, chances are the law schools reputation doesnt fare much better. If your ug had a very good reputation, chances are the law school also has a good reputation.

Only you can decide where you want to go. If you want better answers, be more specific. Whats your ug?

True true, I went to UVA

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:10 pm

Hahahaa! Going to UVA law is not a bad thing.

Go for it.

Having gone to UVA UG doesnt give you a lot of "help" in the admissions process, but its seen favorably. Provided that you have the numbers.

Good luck!

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:12 pm

gdane5 wrote:Hahahaa! Going to UVA law is not a bad thing.

Go for it.

Having gone to UVA UG doesnt give you a lot of "help" in the admissions process, but its seen favorably. Provided that you have the numbers.

Good luck!

Oh I know, I'd be psyched to get in! I just wasn't sure if it looks better to go a new school (some people have said this) or if people ever wished they had moved on/felt stuck in the UG mentality or anything like that. It feels a little odd to contemplate going back.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:13 pm

Again, its up to you. Some people dont mind, others do.

UVA is a great school and if given the chance to go, you should go.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:17 pm

how many distractions will be at your UG/LS? if you are worried about being pressured to go out during the week, and act like you did in ug, then that school may not be in your best interests.

if you can minimize the distractions you will be ok- but only you can make that decision

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:20 pm

arism87 wrote:Oh I know, I'd be psyched to get in! I just wasn't sure if it looks better to go a new school (some people have said this) or if people ever wished they had moved on/felt stuck in the UG mentality or anything like that. It feels a little odd to contemplate going back.

I don't think it would really look good/bad to go to a different law school than your UG (unless of course you're passing up HYS or something for it, but your employers won't know you did that). In terms of wishing you had moved on, that is going to be something that is completely up to you. If you go back are you going to feel like you should've moved on? are you stuck in the UG mentality? Totally your own opinion and no one can really help you with that one.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:36 pm

It doesn't really matter with respect to employers.

I went to an UG with a t-14 law school too (obviously not HYS), and was deterred from going there again because I wouldn't want to live in the same place for 4+ years.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:41 am

arism87 wrote:Did anyone choose to go to LS where they did UG or have friends who did? What are the pros and cons, and would you recommend it?

(I don't mean I would choose a law school BECAUSE it's my UG, rather if it's a good choice for me independently of that fact, what else should I consider if admitted?)

I wish I had that choice. I went to NYU undergrad. If I had that choice, I would have sent in my deposit yesterday.

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:58 am

UVA would be awesome to go to, but if you got into schools of equal or better quality, I would really consider them. As others have noted, it is not a bad thing to go to the same LS as UG, but there are many benefits in going somewhere else, assuming those schools are of equal or better quality. First off, you will have an expanded network and more connections; secondly, it gives you a chance to experience living in a different part of the country. If you are from VA (do not know if that is the case) and went to UVA, it may be nice to get out of the South. I went to UG in the South and came out Cali, and it has been a unique and good experience.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”