145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Bruce Wayne
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:33 pm

145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby Bruce Wayne » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:37 pm

After hearing how schools love to go and average scores, I'm left asking if it is truly worth it to apply to a school at all. I'm new to the entire process so I have no idea of any schools that go that low. I am aware of that some do not average, but either way it seems like a short list (based on the lsac school search database) to me. Any help would be most appreciated.

User avatar
jwrash
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby jwrash » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Bruce Wayne wrote:After hearing how schools love to go and average scores, I'm left asking if it is truly worth it to apply to a school at all. I'm new to the entire process so I have no idea of any schools that go that low. I am aware of that some do not average, but either way it seems like a short list (based on the lsac school search database) to me. Any help would be most appreciated.

with a 145/150 it doesn't really matter if they average

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:43 pm

you may get into a TTTT ( 4th tier) law school, or maybe a third tier.

In all honesty, you need to re take for the third time. I would suggest taking a class, getting a study schedule from this website, and taking the test in june. YOu need to get a score increase of at least 5 points to have a chance at a third tier regional school. even then you will be looking at full sticker.

best of luck

Bruce Wayne
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby Bruce Wayne » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:54 pm

Well I have already spent the time going through a class and with a personal tutor and I was scoring in the 157 range on PT, the issue is that aptitude tests have been a huge problem for me. I am registered for the test again in Feb, but am not sure if I'm even going to do better. So I'm looking for ideas based on the scores I have now.

If I did take the test in Feb and do well, would I still have time to apply to other schools? If I did apply to these schools, would my earlier scores hurt me that much?

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:58 pm

february is very late for this cycle ( you wont get your results until the end of february, and many deadlines are Jan 15, and March 15th). some schools will tell you that they dont look at februarys test for this cycle, while others will. In my opinion, i would rather sit this one out, take some time to make sure this is the career you want, then give it your best shot in june. If you mess up, you still have the summer to prep for any other test ( GRE, etc) and get your applications in for the fall of 2011.

in the end, its still your call, but if I were you, id wait until june, then see how it falls

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:59 pm

Bruce Wayne wrote:Well I have already spent the time going through a class and with a personal tutor and I was scoring in the 157 range on PT, the issue is that aptitude tests have been a huge problem for me. I am registered for the test again in Feb, but am not sure if I'm even going to do better. So I'm looking for ideas based on the scores I have now.

If I did take the test in Feb and do well, would I still have time to apply to other schools? If I did apply to these schools, would my earlier scores hurt me that much?


I would advise forgetting about this cycle. February probably won't be enough time to get your score to its potential. By taking the test in June, you can go through all the LSAT bibles, take all the available PTs, and have plenty of time to keep up your strengths and improve your weaknesses.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:00 pm

Retake or don't go.

nStiver
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby nStiver » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:17 pm

Ya man, retake. Anything below the high 150s just ain't gonna cut it these days. With a 3.45 GPA, getting above a 160 would really open up your options. Be thankful that you have a decent GPA. You can always study for the LSAT, but you can not go back and change your GPA without a lot of time, money, and work. Be glad you're not like me with a 2.89 GPA and a 164 LSAT. In October I took the LSAT for the third time. I was PTing in the 170s, but shit happens and I didn't make the cut. I am now all out of ammo. No more re-takes for me.

Your only option is a re-take, but be sure to get sleep the night before, and if you don't, don't even bother showing up that day. I got 3 hours of sleep the night before and stubbornly took the test, hence the 164.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:18 pm

nStiver wrote:Ya man, retake. Anything below the high 150s just ain't gonna cut it these days. With a 3.45 GPA, getting above a 160 would really open up your options. Be thankful that you have a decent GPA. You can always study for the LSAT, but you can not go back and change your GPA without a lot of time, money, and work. Be glad you're not like me with a 2.89 GPA and a 164 LSAT. In October I took the LSAT for the third time. I was PTing in the 170s, but shit happens and I didn't make the cut. I am now all out of ammo. No more re-takes for me.

Your only option is a re-take, but be sure to get sleep the night before, and if you don't, don't even bother showing up that day. I got 3 hours of sleep the night before and stubbornly took the test, hence the 164.


You can still retake. Just ask a school.

canuck
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby canuck » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:23 pm

My personal opinion is don't go to law school. You will be amongst competition in your career that you simply can't keep up with. I know that is a demoralizing realization, but find something that you rock at (e.g. interpersonal skills) and figure out what profession can exploit that while making you happy.

nStiver
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby nStiver » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:27 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
nStiver wrote:Ya man, retake. Anything below the high 150s just ain't gonna cut it these days. With a 3.45 GPA, getting above a 160 would really open up your options. Be thankful that you have a decent GPA. You can always study for the LSAT, but you can not go back and change your GPA without a lot of time, money, and work. Be glad you're not like me with a 2.89 GPA and a 164 LSAT. In October I took the LSAT for the third time. I was PTing in the 170s, but shit happens and I didn't make the cut. I am now all out of ammo. No more re-takes for me.

Your only option is a re-take, but be sure to get sleep the night before, and if you don't, don't even bother showing up that day. I got 3 hours of sleep the night before and stubbornly took the test, hence the 164.


You can still retake. Just ask a school.


So, how does one go about doing this? Is it difficult to get a school to let you re-take the LSAT?

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:29 pm

nStiver wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
nStiver wrote:Ya man, retake. Anything below the high 150s just ain't gonna cut it these days. With a 3.45 GPA, getting above a 160 would really open up your options. Be thankful that you have a decent GPA. You can always study for the LSAT, but you can not go back and change your GPA without a lot of time, money, and work. Be glad you're not like me with a 2.89 GPA and a 164 LSAT. In October I took the LSAT for the third time. I was PTing in the 170s, but shit happens and I didn't make the cut. I am now all out of ammo. No more re-takes for me.

Your only option is a re-take, but be sure to get sleep the night before, and if you don't, don't even bother showing up that day. I got 3 hours of sleep the night before and stubbornly took the test, hence the 164.


You can still retake. Just ask a school.


So, how does one go about doing this? Is it difficult to get a school to let you re-take the LSAT?


You have to get a school to write you something so you can take the test again. I forgot the exact details but I remember people saying it's extremely easy to get permission from schools.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:54 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Retake or don't go.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby Grizz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:50 am

gwuorbust wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Retake or don't go.

User avatar
TruHoosier
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:33 am

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby TruHoosier » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:38 pm

canuck wrote:My personal opinion is don't go to law school. You will be amongst competition in your career that you simply can't keep up with. I know that is a demoralizing realization, but find something that you rock at (e.g. interpersonal skills) and figure out what profession can exploit that while making you happy.


I'm a 0L, but I don't agree with this at all.

Studying for the LSAT is like training for a marathon. A marathon isn't really a test of athleticism and skill - it's more a test of how much you prepared. If you've put the miles in and trained correctly, then you're going to have a good race time. The LSAT is the same way. It rewards test takers who have prepared a significant amount and who have studied in a disciplined manner.

Granted, there is a small percentage of people who are just naturally gifted for these things and who don't have to prepare stringently. But those people really are few and far between.

Don't get fooled into thinking the LSAT is a test of aptitude or skill. It is a standardized test, which means it can be prepared for and mastered.

Like everyone else has said, put off law school for a year, take a TestMaster or PowerScore class this spring, and study your ass off for the June exam. I guarantee you that you can score at least in the low 160s. With your GPA, you can get into a fairly good school.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby minnbills » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:27 pm

Retake and apply next cycle.

Look at the bright side, you're putting another year between yourself and a tough job market.

You have a solid GPA. Crack the books and nab an LSAT score in the high 150s or 160s.

User avatar
LawLucy
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:02 am

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby LawLucy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Bruce Wayne wrote:After hearing how schools love to go and average scores, I'm left asking if it is truly worth it to apply to a school at all. I'm new to the entire process so I have no idea of any schools that go that low. I am aware of that some do not average, but either way it seems like a short list (based on the lsac school search database) to me. Any help would be most appreciated.



curl into a ball and cry
OR
take a powerscore course and study like crazy for the June 2011 exam

User avatar
TruHoosier
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:33 am

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby TruHoosier » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:39 am

LawLucy wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:After hearing how schools love to go and average scores, I'm left asking if it is truly worth it to apply to a school at all. I'm new to the entire process so I have no idea of any schools that go that low. I am aware of that some do not average, but either way it seems like a short list (based on the lsac school search database) to me. Any help would be most appreciated.



curl into a ball and cry
OR
take a powerscore course and study like crazy for the June 2011 exam


I don't know where the sentiment is coming from that all law schools average scores. It seems to me that the majority of them don't. Most of these schools will tell you if they do or don't.

The schools this guy is planning on applying to likely won't average his scores - I'm assuming he isn't planning on going to a T20. I took a TestMasters class this summer and my instructor, who is pretty well-traveled, told us that Georgetown won't even average scores if there is a big enough discrepancy between them. The OP is assuming that most law schools average, when the opposite is probably closer to the truth.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:22 am

TruHoosier wrote:
LawLucy wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:After hearing how schools love to go and average scores, I'm left asking if it is truly worth it to apply to a school at all. I'm new to the entire process so I have no idea of any schools that go that low. I am aware of that some do not average, but either way it seems like a short list (based on the lsac school search database) to me. Any help would be most appreciated.



curl into a ball and cry
OR
take a powerscore course and study like crazy for the June 2011 exam


I don't know where the sentiment is coming from that all law schools average scores.


the same place from which comes the idea that softs, undergrad, volunteering, work history, lawyers-in-the-family, writing 150405040 addendums, PS, DS, LOR, time taken to graduate, minor criminal history or, generally, anything besides LSAT, GPA and URM status matters.

User avatar
TruHoosier
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:33 am

Re: 145/150 Lsat and 3.45 GPA

Postby TruHoosier » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:08 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
TruHoosier wrote:
LawLucy wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:After hearing how schools love to go and average scores, I'm left asking if it is truly worth it to apply to a school at all. I'm new to the entire process so I have no idea of any schools that go that low. I am aware of that some do not average, but either way it seems like a short list (based on the lsac school search database) to me. Any help would be most appreciated.



curl into a ball and cry
OR
take a powerscore course and study like crazy for the June 2011 exam


I don't know where the sentiment is coming from that all law schools average scores.


the same place from which comes the idea that softs, undergrad, volunteering, work history, lawyers-in-the-family, writing 150405040 addendums, PS, DS, LOR, time taken to graduate, minor criminal history or, generally, anything besides LSAT, GPA and URM status matters.



Yeah, it's just neurosis - people grasping whatever they can to give themselves anxiety. Not saying I'm not guilty of it. I've been obsessing over my personal statement for weeks.

But you can go on a lot of these schools' websites. Some of them have FAQs where they say explicitly that they don't average scores. There's no need to even speculate.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests