Go for rankings or location? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
greg737

New

Go for rankings or location?

Post by greg737 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:50 am

So I know there are probably varying answers for this... but what is the more important factor in picking a law school? Rankings or location?

Should you just go to the highest-ranked school you get into? I've heard that such a thing should be the case if you go Top 20, but other than that, it's probably best to just go to a regional school near where you want to live. Is that what the thought is on here, or is there other stuff that goes into it?

Like, if you don't get into Stanford/Cal/UCLA/USC and want to live in, say, LA, should you dip down to LMU for example, or go to like U. Washington if you get in there?

Lwoods

Silver

Re: Go for rankings or location?

Post by Lwoods » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:46 am

It's a balance. In secondary markets, it's often beneficial to go to the highest rank local school over a higher ranked school in a different market. For example, if you want to practice in Milwaukee, Marquette (T3) is probably going to be better for you than Emory (#22).

The same doesn't exactly apply for NY/CH/DC/LA/SF. There are "regional" schools that do better in those cities than some higher ranked schools (Fordham for NYC, UIUC for Chicago, etc.), but there comes a point when it's considered much more beneficial to go to a top tier school than a low ranked school in town. In NY, Notre Dame is still held in higher regard than Cardozo.

I don't know the LA market, but I imagine Washington would be preferable to LMU. Check around firms where you'd like to work to see how many graduates they have of each program, paying special attention to 1st and 2nd year associates to notice the recruiting trend.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:25 am

Hard to say without knowing the specific region you want. And the rankings only matter for T25ish or so schools. Below that, they're much less useful. It's so regional as to be almost irrelevant.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:29 am

T14>>>>everyone.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:53 am

I would say Loyola is definitely better for working in Los Angeles than University of Washington. The harder choice is between Loyola and UC Hastings, though personally, I think Hastings is a better school for LA.

Also, if you are on the cusp of USC/UCLA, you will probably get into UC Irvine with the 1/3 scholarship they are handing out this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:16 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:T14>>>>everyone.
You're a fucking idiot.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Know the region. UF is better than most T20 schools for Florida because of it's local reputation, Lewis and Clark is not solid for the pacific northwest because of all the higher Cali schools.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:28 pm

depends on the region and schools you are considering. ( it doesnt make much sense to go to a top 14 school on the east coast when you want to practice on the west coast)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:29 pm

Cupidity wrote:Know the region. UF is better than most T20 schools for Florida because of it's local reputation, Lewis and Clark is not solid for the pacific northwest because of all the higher Cali schools.
For smaller and midsize firms probably yes thanks to the ability to network and because grades seem to matter less than fit for smaller firms. Same for whatever local govt. is still hiring. But if you want to snap up one of the few remaining SA positions, T20ish (with FL connections) is better.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:44 pm

rad law wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:T14>>>>everyone.
You're a fucking idiot.
sayeth the vandy student... but you are right. facile and patently stupid summary of the situation (sayeth the emory student...)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”