Best Law School for NY Biglaw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rickynwhyc

Best Law School for NY Biglaw

Postby rickynwhyc » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:54 pm

Hey guys, besides the obvious, HYS, CCN, and the rest of the top schools, what schools generally penetrate the NY Legal market the most often? The obvious choice is Fordham because of location, but are there schools (BESIDES the T14) that have a stronger connection to the NYC Legal market?

pu_golf88

Re: Best Law School for NY Biglaw

Postby pu_golf88 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:58 pm

Cooley

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 pm

rickynwhyc wrote:Hey guys, besides the obvious, HYS, CCN, and the rest of the top schools, what schools generally penetrate the NY Legal market the most often? The obvious choice is Fordham because of location, but are there schools (BESIDES the T14) that have a stronger connection to the NYC Legal market?

No.

sissyclark

Postby sissyclark » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:05 pm

I like your enthusiasm in making 3 threads for the same question. But I don't think you're going to find a "magic answer" where someone will throw you the name of some obscure school that is outside the top 10 schools or so that have a good chance at NY biglaw.

Fact is that your best shot is one of the schools inside the top 25 (aside from maybe a couple midwest schools), and even if you do attend one of these schools, you've gotta do really well to even have a shot at NYC at biglaw. It will have to do with how well you interview, how well you bid, and maybe a little bit of luck as well. There are a lot of variables.

The top schools are top for a reason. It's not like you're going to find one magic school that's not a top school that places well in biglaw in NY.

rickynwhyc

Postby rickynwhyc » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:10 pm

sissyclark wrote:I like your enthusiasm in making 3 threads for the same question. But I don't think you're going to find a "magic answer" where someone will throw you the name of some obscure school that is outside the top 10 schools or so that have a good chance at NY biglaw.

Fact is that your best shot is one of the schools inside the top 25 (aside from maybe a couple midwest schools), and even if you do attend one of these schools, you've gotta do really well to even have a shot at NYC at biglaw. It will have to do with how well you interview, how well you bid, and maybe a little bit of luck as well. There are a lot of variables.

The top schools are top for a reason. It's not like you're going to find one magic school that's not a top school that places well in biglaw in NY.

I'm well aware of this. In one of those 3 posts I actually used "magic fairytale school" to describe what I'm looking for..

Why are you selecting out midwest schools? Which ones?

Are you saying that across the board, all the T25 give you a somewhat near equal shot at NY Biglaw? I'm just trying to narrow down my choices here. I'm trying to figure out which schools have the best alumni connections in NY or that have the best reputation for being sought after by NY Firms. And, like you mentioned about "some midwest schools", I'd like to eliminate those choices from my consideration.

Working in NYC is important to me, I've lived here all my life and I love the city.

Lawlcat

Postby Lawlcat » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:14 pm

3.3 GPA isn't completely incompatible with T14, I don't think. Take a good LSAT course and work hard on your applications. Add some good WE if you can. I think you'd have a decent shot.

Otherwise, you really should not go to law school except on a large or full scholarship without too many strings attached (hard to do). No, really. People in the T14 are mostly (?) okay, but it's a far cry from "if you want NY BigLaw, it's yours". I understand that in the rest of the T25, it's significantly worse.

Also: are you sure you want BigLaw? In New York, a good chunk of the massive paycheck vanishes. NY BigLaw is (as I understand it) especially known for oppressive hours and a generally miserable existence. (It seems like most of the BigLaw stereotypes were born in New York and remain especially applicable there.) Add in 150K or whatever of debt, and ... it's not even a great path to big money, necessarily.

rickynwhyc

Postby rickynwhyc » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Lawlcat wrote:3.3 GPA isn't completely incompatible with T14, I don't think. Take a good LSAT course and work hard on your applications. Add some good WE if you can. I think you'd have a decent shot.

Otherwise, you really should not go to law school except on a large or full scholarship without too many strings attached (hard to do). No, really. People in the T14 are mostly (?) okay, but it's a far cry from "if you want NY BigLaw, it's yours". I understand that in the rest of the T25, it's significantly worse.

Also: are you sure you want BigLaw? In New York, a good chunk of the massive paycheck vanishes. NY BigLaw is (as I understand it) especially known for oppressive hours and a generally miserable existence. (It seems like most of the BigLaw stereotypes were born in New York and remain especially applicable there.) Add in 150K or whatever of debt, and ... it's not even a great path to big money, necessarily.

Well I don't have a cent to my name, so I'm assuming maximum financial aid which is at least something.

I'm willing to fight for Biglaw, I'm aware of ITE and how the hours are crippling, but the alternatives are just as bad if you consider the salary difference. BigLaw still opens a lot of doors. I'd like to have my own private practice some day, but that's thinking too far ahead. Right now I just want the highest quality legal education possible, somewhere where I have a fighting chance at NYC employment..

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:41 pm

rickynwhyc wrote:
Lawlcat wrote:3.3 GPA isn't completely incompatible with T14, I don't think. Take a good LSAT course and work hard on your applications. Add some good WE if you can. I think you'd have a decent shot.

Well I don't have a cent to my name, so I'm assuming maximum financial aid which is at least something.

I'm willing to fight for Biglaw, I'm aware of ITE and how the hours are crippling, but the alternatives are just as bad if you consider the salary difference. BigLaw still opens a lot of doors. I'd like to have my own private practice some day, but that's thinking too far ahead. Right now I just want the highest quality legal education possible, somewhere where I have a fighting chance at NYC employment..

Your best chance of fighting your way into NYC biglaw is to fight your way into a 176 LSAT score.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:45 pm

Renzo wrote:
rickynwhyc wrote:

Your best chance of fighting your way into NYC biglaw is to fight your way into a 176 LSAT score.

This or score 170+ and ED to UVA or score 170+ get some WE and ED to NW.

Have fun.

rickynwhyc

Postby rickynwhyc » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:54 pm

Renzo wrote:
rickynwhyc wrote:

Sounds about right.
I'm signed up for the LSAT on December 11th. I'm probably going to end up cancelling my score, studying for the LSAT for the next 10 months and trying for 2012 since February is probably too late for this cycle

sissyclark

Postby sissyclark » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:57 pm

rickynwhyc wrote:

Well, if you're willing to fight for biglaw, then that makes all the difference in the world.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:15 am

I also want to do NY Big Law down the line. However, since I'm out of the T14 except for Cornell. I was thinking about doing BU and getting Boston Big Law. I've read all over TLS that BU is doing better than Fordham possibly because BU dominates its market compared to Fordham who's on the bottom of the ladder. Maybe down the line once I've proven myself in Boston, I can try to transfer to NY. Does this sound like a better option than going to Fordham?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:00 am

icouldbuyu wrote:I also want to do NY Big Law down the line. However, since I'm out of the T14 except for Cornell. I was thinking about doing BU and getting Boston Big Law. I've read all over TLS that BU is doing better than Fordham possibly because BU dominates its market compared to Fordham who's on the bottom of the ladder. Maybe down the line once I've proven myself in Boston, I can try to transfer to NY. Does this sound like a better option than going to Fordham?

No. If you are, in fact, "in" at Cornell you will have a much better shot at NYC biglaw than at BU. I would not go to BU over Cornell with any less that a half scholarship. I know that BU places very well in Boston, but the margin for error is much better at Cornell. Now, if we are just talking about Fordham v. BU, you may be on to something. I can't speak to your idea of "transferring."

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:10 am

KMaine wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:I also want to do NY Big Law down the line. However, since I'm out of the T14 except for Cornell. I was thinking about doing BU and getting Boston Big Law. I've read all over TLS that BU is doing better than Fordham possibly because BU dominates its market compared to Fordham who's on the bottom of the ladder. Maybe down the line once I've proven myself in Boston, I can try to transfer to NY. Does this sound like a better option than going to Fordham?

No. If you are, in fact, "in" at Cornell you will have a much better shot at NYC biglaw than at BU. I would not go to BU over Cornell with any less that a half scholarship. I know that BU places very well in Boston, but the margin for error is much better at Cornell. Now, if we are just talking about Fordham v. BU, you may be on to something. I can't speak to your idea of "transferring."

Based on LSN, I should be getting into BU with about half scholarship if not a little more. I'm considered borderline for Cornell, but I have outstanding softs and essays, so if I get in, I'll likely not get any money. You would still suggest Cornell over BU? I'd prefer to work in NY, but I dont mind moving to Boston if I have a better shot at Big Law in the Boston market out of BU than in the NY market out of Cornell.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:16 am

Fordham places better than most peer schools into NY.

A 170+ LSAT ----> lower T14 is still a safer bet.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:21 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:36 am

pasteurizedmilk wrote:Fordham places better than most peer schools into NY.

Unfortunately, ITE, Fordham is too big of a risk to pay sticker for. Fordham is obviously below Columbia, NYU, and Cornell. It then has to contest with MVP, Duke, and GULC. Fordham was a great option pre 2008 I think.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:54 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:Fordham places better than most peer schools into NY.

Unfortunately, ITE, Fordham is too big of a risk to pay sticker for. Fordham is obviously below Columbia, NYU, and Cornell. It then has to contest with MVP, Duke, and GULC. Fordham was a great option pre 2008 I think.

I definitely agree. But OPs question was a school outside the T14 that has the best shot at NYC biglaw. For that, I'd have to say Fordham fits the bill.

IMO paying sticker at anything besides HYS is a bit silly ITE. (disclaimer - I'm a sticker paying 2L at lower t-14.....my bad).

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:12 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
rickynwhyc wrote:Hey guys, besides the obvious, HYS, CCN, and the rest of the top schools, what schools generally penetrate the NY Legal market the most often? The obvious choice is Fordham because of location, but are there schools (BESIDES the T14) that have a stronger connection to the NYC Legal market?

No.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:34 pm

showNprove wrote:
rickynwhyc wrote:Working in NYC is important to me, I've lived here all my life and I love the city.

Then go to a T14, Texas, Vandy, or Fordham.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”