What is the best school for practicing law in Pennsylvania?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
r6_philly

Re: What is the best school for practicing law in Pennsylvania?

Postby r6_philly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:04 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Veyron wrote:
So if you just met someone and you were having a casual conversation and he happened to mention he was applying to law school with lets say a 162/3.0 (just making numbers up) - you would begin to give him advice on how he shouldn't go to law school?

Are they hot?

How about an aggressive alpha dog personality male with a serious temper issue?[/quote]

In other words - me??? lol
Last edited by r6_philly on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
IAFG wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I am pretty sure my masters from Penn is going to position me better for government/non-profit work better than a Penn JD. Public sector folks have natural suspicions of lawyers.

i would have thought it went without saying we're talking about JD-required PI/gov't jobs

Which are? I think that's even smaller/harder to get than biglaw.

i don't see what their relative rarity has to do with the point that quality of JD institution applies as much to JD-required PI jobs as it does to biglaw.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:06 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Veyron wrote:

So if you just met someone and you were having a casual conversation and he happened to mention he was applying to law school with lets say a 162/3.0 (just making numbers up) - you would begin to give him advice on how he shouldn't go to law school?

Are they hot?[/quote]

How about an aggressive alpha dog personality male with a serious temper issue?[/quote]

Yah, I would out alpha them with both my LSAT score and my temper.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:09 pm

Veyron wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Are they hot?

Yah, I would out alpha them with both my LSAT score and my temper.[/quote]

What if they weighed 300 pounds (pure muscle)??

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:11 pm

IAFG wrote:i don't see what their relative rarity has to do with the point that quality of JD institution applies as much to JD-required PI jobs as it does to biglaw.

I think (of course I may be wrong on this) the smaller the sample size, the less statistically important it is. So when it comes to those jobs, the quality of the education/school/reputation may not be as important as the individual qualities the applicants possess. If you had prior government experience/connections/demonstrated commitments, you will probably have a better time landing those jobs as oppose to someone with a JD from a much better school.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:14 pm

r6_philly wrote:
IAFG wrote:i don't see what their relative rarity has to do with the point that quality of JD institution applies as much to JD-required PI jobs as it does to biglaw.

I think (of course I may be wrong on this) the smaller the sample size, the less statistically important it is. So when it comes to those jobs, the quality of the education/school/reputation may not be as important as the individual qualities the applicants possess. If you had prior government experience/connections/demonstrated commitments, you will probably have a better time landing those jobs as oppose to someone with a JD from a much better school.

for government specifically, they generally have to hire according to hiring matrices. some agencies are more sophisticated than others in what criteria they include, but connections and other things may not be allowed to count, depending on the matrix. they're actually designed to prevent connections from getting you the job.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:30 pm

r6_philly wrote:

No, the quality of education, school, repurtation are super important for the good ones. You have no idea how big of a prestige whore the ACLU is for ex. Gvmt jobs skew a bit more towards class rank than school depending on the org.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Veyron wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Veyron is a dick. I'm 99% sure he doesn't act like this in real life.
But his comments do have a solid ring of truth. I'm sure most people don't want to be in 200k+ debt for the rest of their lives.

Why wouldn't I act like this IRL?

If you talked like you do where I'm from, you'd end up with a broken jaw real quick. While you may speak the truth, you do it in an extremely pretentious way. Ironically enough, you go to school right near where I'm from.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:37 pm

This thread has exploded since I've gone out to dinner. Wow.

Someone asked if this thread answered my questions, and yes it has, thank you.

I am not sure I want to do biglaw. A career isn't everything to me. I want to have a family and a life. So no, I'm not looking for biglaw. I'm looking for smaller firms and possibly PI. If I do PI, then a school like Temple, if accepted, would be very attractive, because my numbers would get me a gooooood scholarship.

I have applied to a broad range of schools in a broad range of areas. I shall decide all this when I get my acceptances.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:37 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Veyron wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Veyron is a dick. I'm 99% sure he doesn't act like this in real life.
But his comments do have a solid ring of truth. I'm sure most people don't want to be in 200k+ debt for the rest of their lives.

If you talked like you do where I'm from, you'd end up with a broken jaw real quick. While you may speak the truth, you do it in an extremely pretentious way. Ironically enough, you go to school right near where I'm from.

I guess its a good thing that I am not where you are from than, neh? I know that you may have never left far-west Philadelphia but people behave differently in different places. Go and explore the country sometime, it will be an eye-opening experience for you.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:41 pm

Veyron wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Veyron wrote:

I guess its a good thing that I am not where you are from than, neh? I know that you may have never left far-west Philadelphia but people behave differently in different places. Go and explore the country sometime, it will be an eye-opening experience for you.

I've been around the country quite a bit actually. While talking like you do on the internet is fine, most of the stuff you spew out would definitely result in an ass-kicking if said in real life to someone you barely know. Are you actually disputing that?

In person, I'd find it hard to believe you wouldn't change the way you speak on here at all.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:46 pm

[/quote]

I've been around the country quite a bit actually. While talking like you do on the internet is fine, most of the stuff you spew out would definitely result in an ass-kicking if said in real life to someone you barely know. Are you actually disputing that?[/quote]

Beleive it or not, in my state, most people don't get all pissy about things.

I'll use NY as an example. You think people in Manhattan would give a shit if I said any of this to them? Its par for the course there.

Americans have a very diverse sets of attitudes and, since no one on the internet can actually kick my ass, I adopt the one I like best. If you don't like it, feel free not to read my posts.

IRL, people who don't like the way I speak are free not to associate with me, and plenty don't. The ones that are left are my friends. Those that try to fight me find out that even a nerd who went to school in the barrio can take care of himself.
Last edited by Veyron on Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:51 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Veyron wrote:

I've experienced similar consequences in Philly for far gentler things said. So, +1

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:53 pm

Veyron wrote:Beleive it or not, in my state, most people don't get all pissy about things.

I'll use NY as an example. You think people in Manhattan would give a shit if I said any of this to them? Its par for the course there.

Americans have a very diverse sets of attitudes and, since no one on the internet can actually kick my ass, I adopt the one I like best. If you don't like it, feel free not to read my posts.

IRL, people who don't like the way I speak are free not to associate with me, and plenty don't. The ones that are left are my friends.

I could care less how you act on the internet. You sound like the "typical" Penn undergrad though. Socially challenged, overly proud and yet still oddly insecure. This isn't to hate on the cool Penn kids out there, but I'm sure they'd be the first to chime in on the ridiculousness of most of the kids on that campus. That said, an elitist attitude in the law profession is an asset.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:57 pm

[/quote]

I could care less how you act on the internet. You sound like the "typical" Penn undergrad though. Socially challenged, overly proud and yet still oddly insecure. This isn't to hate on the cool Penn kids out there, but I'm sure they'd be the first to chime in on the ridiculousness of most of the kids on that campus. That said, an elitist attitude in the law profession is an asset.[/quote]

Penn law bubbs. Went to UG elsewhere. Why are we still talking, you and I have nothing in common. Can't you just find an echo chamber somewhere that can tell you everything you want to hear.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:58 pm

Veyron wrote:Penn law bubbs. Went to UG elsewhere.

Yes, and? I'm saying you sound like most of the UG campus over there... so you probably fit in well.
Last edited by beach_terror on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:59 pm

[/quote]

Yes, and? I'm saying you sound like most of the UG campus over there... so you probably fit in well.[/quote]

Yes, this is true. There is a reason I like Penn so much.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:23 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Veyron wrote:

From where I am from, you either end up fine, or getting shot. I don't where do you go to get a broken jaw nowadays, but must be a nice working class neighborhood where people still fight with fists. In other words, your neck of the woods is a lot better than what I am used to. ;)

But yes, I have questioned Veyron's tone before in other threads. You can absolutely be rude and obnoxious at Penn though, most people will just give you dirty looks.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:29 pm

r6_philly wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Veyron wrote:

From where I am from, you either end up fine, or getting shot. I don't where do you go to get a broken jaw nowadays, but must be a nice working class neighborhood where people still fight with fists. In other words, your neck of the woods is a lot better than what I am used to. ;)

But yes, I have questioned Veyron's tone before in other threads. You can absolutely be rude and obnoxious at Penn though, most people will just give you dirty looks.

The only person on TLS whose cocky attitude is simultaneously charming is DF.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:32 pm

[/quote] If you talked like you do where I'm from, you'd end up with a broken jaw real quick. While you may speak the truth, you do it in an extremely pretentious way. Ironically enough, you go to school right near where I'm from.[/quote]

But yes, I have questioned Veyron's tone before in other threads. You can absolutely be rude and obnoxious at Penn though, most people will just give you dirty looks.[/quote]

The only reason that you get dirty looks is because you are at Fells.

I don't think I'll ever understand why everyone has this obsessive need to critique other peoples' manner of speaking. Don't you get enough confromist, PC, feel good bullshit in your tiny pink lives?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:50 pm

Veyron wrote:

I don't think I'll ever understand why everyone has this obcessive need to critique other peoples' manner of speaking. Don't you get enough conformity in your tiny pink lives?

I said "you" I never mention "I". The "you" is a general term referring to anyone who speak a certain way. No need to insult me, just words :)

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:53 pm

I don't think I'll ever understand why everyone has this obsessive need to critique other peoples' manner of speaking. Don't you get enough confromist, PC, feel good bullshit in your tiny pink lives?

You sound angry.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:02 pm

so the consensus is penn state is garbage?

isnt the point of this site to share information... lets not try to make this a social skill building site or anything else

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:06 pm

northwood wrote:so the consensus is penn state is garbage?

isnt the point of this site to share information... lets not try to make this a social skill building site or anything else

Unless you're content with working in Central PA, yes.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:

I don't think I'll ever understand why everyone has this obcessive need to critique other peoples' manner of speaking. Don't you get enough conformity in your tiny pink lives?

I said "you" I never mention "I". The "you" is a general term referring to anyone who speak a certain way. No need to insult me, just words :)

Just because I'm insulting doens't mean you have to take everything I say as an insult.

You are at Fells. Fells is less elitist than most of Penn. Therefore, Fells is one of the few places at Penn where you (or I or anyone) would even get dirty looks for being a douche. There, better?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”