What is the best school for practicing law in Pennsylvania? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Veyron

Gold

Re: What is the best school for practicing law in Pennsylvania?

Post by Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:41 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:Wow, I've never seen anything like this out west (although suposedly my state now has some out of state neo-nazi running around the desert with his M-16 looking hunting for illegals). I thought the east coast was suposed to be a bastion of liberalism and racial harmony? Are you latino R8?
Haha don't let the propaganda fool you. I think people in the NE is just more PC about their prejudices. The divide is deep, and deeply hidden. You should go to Philly.com and read the comments to local stories involving minorities. Mind you they delete a lot of them.

My skin says I am Asian but every one of my immediate and extended family is black, I just say I am an American. So I suppose racism bothers me more and manifest more around me because people are not so quick to hide their anti-black prejudices around me but it hurts me just the same. I have some weird/awkward experiences on that front.
Yah, I guess if I were Asian, I still wouldn't want to get caught in the middle of a KKK rally. Still, I think someimes racial issues are a lot more complex and factional then they appear from the outside (i.e. latino responses to immigration) so it doesn't make too much sense to have a strong reaction things that aren't blatant examples of racism. I'm sure I will be quite fine driving exploring central PA as I intend to do next year.

And to the OP, seriously, don't go to law school. Don't you even read this site?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Veyron wrote:
Yah, I guess if I were Asian, I still wouldn't want to get caught in the middle of a KKK rally. Still, I think someimes racial issues are a lot more complex and factional then they appear from the outside (i.e. latino responses to immigration) so it doesn't make too much sense to have a strong reaction things that aren't blatant examples of racism. I'm sure I will be quite fine driving exploring central PA as I intend to do next year.

And to the OP, seriously, don't go to law school. Don't you even read this site?
Would people tell you that you should leave because you don't belong there "blatant" enough for you? :)

ETA I never said you, or I for that matter, wouldn't be fine. I just don't like the attitude. It makes me uncomfortable.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:49 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
schnoodle wrote: and i have to take issue with your assessment of cenpenn as a bunch of crummy towns. they might be crummy, but they're ours. and not all of the midstate is awful. i mean i wouldn't want to live in nowheresburg in snyder county, but dauphin/cumberland/berks/york/lancaster/chester/lebanon region is not bad at all.
It's ok, it's only my opinion. But being 1) a big city person and 2) a minority really makes me not like the center of PA. The cultural differences are great. Heck, I can get half way to York and start to feel the change in environment and social climate. NE PA is mired in racial controversies from the anti-Hispanic situation ... It's just an personal opinion/assessment, but I don't feel comfortable getting off the turnpike and find myself in the middle of a local KKK gathering (which I have both in PA and in the south, scared me all the same).
Seriously? Completely off topic, but I would fucking love to hear this story.
I think the Turnpike was shut down because of an accident, and I exited at Carlisle and continued west (was heading toward Pittsburg). I stopped by a gas station next to a diner and they were having a gathering in the parking lot of the diner. I got the hell out of there. Also ran into one in Asheville, NC, and one in TN. I used to drive all over the east coast almost every week from Alabama to New Hampshire. I have seen some wildly different environments. The actually used to hold KKK recruiting rallies in Bucks County by the way. Did you read about the hate crimes against Hispanics in rural PA? Hazelton tried to pass a law to make it criminal to rent to illegal immigrants (Hispanics) a few years back. I am not really comfortable outside of the metro areas. Sorry to feel this way, can't help it.
Man, I'm sorry you had to experience this! If they hate minorites, they will certainly hate Jews, so yea, that's out for me too then... :?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:52 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:Wow, I've never seen anything like this out west (although suposedly my state now has some out of state neo-nazi running around the desert with his M-16 looking hunting for illegals). I thought the east coast was suposed to be a bastion of liberalism and racial harmony? Are you latino R8?
Haha don't let the propaganda fool you. I think people in the NE is just more PC about their prejudices. The divide is deep, and deeply hidden. You should go to Philly.com and read the comments to local stories involving minorities. Mind you they delete a lot of them.

My skin says I am Asian but every one of my immediate and extended family is black, I just say I am an American. So I suppose racism bothers me more and manifest more around me because people are not so quick to hide their anti-black prejudices around me but it hurts me just the same. I have some weird/awkward experiences on that front.

Provided that the OP has maxed out his/her potential on the LSAT, knows the risks, and is still determined to become a lawyer, then he/she may as well go for it. Employment from PA's T2s is far from a guarantee, but there are far worse places to attend than Temple, Villanova, or Pitt.

Gemini: I'm Jewish and never had problems in (urban) Central and NE PA. Harrisburg, Allentown, and Scranton have modest, but close-knit Jewish communities. I'd never choose to live there, but that has far more to do with its lack of culture and job opportunities than my religion/ethnicity. Many people from true "Pennsyltucky" don't even know what Jews are.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:58 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Provided that the OP has maxed out his/her potential on the LSAT, knows the risks, and is still determined to become a lawyer, then he/she may as well go for it. Employment from PA's T2s is far from a guarantee, but there are far worse places to attend than Temple, Villanova, or Pitt.

Gemini: I'm Jewish and never had problems in (urban) Central and NE PA. Harrisburg, Allentown, and Scranton have modest, but close-knit Jewish communities. I'd never choose to live there, but that has far more to do with its lack of culture and job opportunities than my religion/ethnicity. Many people from true "Pennsyltucky" don't even know what Jews are.
Veyron, I got a 164 on the LSAT, I don't think I'll be futureless. Granted, my score is lower than a lot of the people posting here but this is a self-selecting forum. Don't let TLS impact your opinions so much. I know people who went to New York law school and made pretty good lawyers of themselves, with good jobs and everything.

And thanks, Heavenwood! Where I'm really looking into is Philly. I really like the city. I'm not 100% sure this is where I'll be but it's definitely a candidate.
Last edited by Gemini on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:02 pm

HeavenWood wrote: Gemini: I'm Jewish and never had problems in (urban) Central and NE PA. Harrisburg, Allentown, and Scranton have modest, but close-knit Jewish communities. I'd never choose to live there, but that has far more to do with its lack of culture and job opportunities than my religion/ethnicity. Many people from true "Pennsyltucky" don't even know what Jews are.
Sorry to keep commenting off topic, but I just keep having funny things to share.

When I was taken to a hospital ER in WV (in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains) 2003, when I woke up in the ER, I had a bracelet that read "Caucasian" because apparently they only printed "Caucasian" and "Black". Asian was not in the preset. The Chinese restaurant in town was staffed ENTIRELY by caucasians. The menu had an item "WuShu Chicken" and we had an argument about whether or not it's spelled wrong. :roll:

Philly is Philly, Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh. Everything else might be a little off from what you expect.

Edited for crucial typo
Last edited by r6_philly on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:07 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Veyron, I got a 164 on the LSAT, I don't think I'll be futureless. Granted, my score is lower than a lot of the people posting here but this is a self-selecting forum. Don't let TLS impact your opinions so much. I know people who went to New York law school and made pretty good lawyers of themselves, with good jobs and everything.
+1 (I know those from Widener, Nova, and Temple with good jobs that graduated ITE. T2s are not a death sentence)
Last edited by beach_terror on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:09 pm

r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote: Gemini: I'm Jewish and never had problems in (urban) Central and NE PA. Harrisburg, Allentown, and Scranton have modest, but close-knit Jewish communities. I'd never choose to live there, but that has far more to do with its lack of culture and job opportunities than my religion/ethnicity. Many people from true "Pennsyltucky" don't even know what Jews are.
Sorry to keep commenting off topic, but I just keep having funny things to share.

When I was taken to a hospital ER in WV (in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains) 2003, when I woke up in the ER, I had a bracelet that read "Caucasian" because apparently they only printed "Caucasian" and "Blank". Asian was not in the preset. The Chinese restaurant in town was staffed ENTIRELY by caucasians. The menu had an item "WuShu Chicken" and we had an argument about whether or not it's spelled wrong. :roll:

Philly is Philly, Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh. Everything else might be a little off from what you expect.
Good lord.

It's definitely different being Jewish. We're not "visible minorities" per se, and many people aren't quite sure what a Jew is, anyway. It helps for me that I have a small nose, light hair, and blue eyes, I guess. :mrgreen:

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:17 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

When I was taken to a hospital ER in WV (in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains) 2003, when I woke up in the ER, I had a bracelet that read "Caucasian" because apparently they only printed "Caucasian" and "Blank". Asian was not in the preset. The Chinese restaurant in town was staffed ENTIRELY by caucasians. The menu had an item "WuShu Chicken" and we had an argument about whether or not it's spelled wrong. :roll:

Good lord.

It's definitely different being Jewish. We're not "visible minorities" per se, and many people aren't quite sure what a Jew is, anyway. It helps for me that I have a small nose, light hair, and blue eyes, I guess. :mrgreen:
Me too! lol, no one would EVER think I'm a Jew.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

schnoodle

New

Post by schnoodle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:18 pm

i'll reiterate. the pennsyltucky stereotype is just that: a stereotype. this conversation is ironic b/c it seems to me that people victimized by stereotypes and prejudice would be a little more sensitive about making blanket statements about a third of a state. were there race riots in york? yes, in 1969. there were race riots in los angeles in the 90s, but you're not afraid to move there, are you? york/adams/lancaster/chester/berks/dauphin/cumberland counties are good places to live. they're within large cities' spheres of influence (balto and phila) and you can tell. obviously there are a lot of farms there, and of course there are some racist idiots. but you'll find that element anywhere, unfortunately.

i know op said the midstate wasn't in his/her purview. i just feel compelled to come to my home's defense! it's actually a pretty great place.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:24 pm

schnoodle wrote:i'll reiterate. the pennsyltucky stereotype is just that: a stereotype. this conversation is ironic b/c it seems to me that people victimized by stereotypes and prejudice would be a little more sensitive about making blanket statements about a third of a state. were there race riots in york? yes, in 1969. there were race riots in los angeles in the 90s, but you're not afraid to move there, are you? york/adams/lancaster/chester/berks/dauphin/cumberland counties are good places to live. they're within large cities' spheres of influence (balto and phila) and you can tell. obviously there are a lot of farms there, and of course there are some racist idiots. but you'll find that element anywhere, unfortunately.

i know op said the midstate wasn't in his/her purview. i just feel compelled to come to my home's defense! it's actually a pretty great place.
I don't think those stereotypes apply to urban/suburban Harrisburg, Lancaster, and York, but outside those immediate areas, things can get a bit dicey. No matter where you go, the middle of nowhere is the middle of nowhere.
Last edited by HeavenWood on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:24 pm

schnoodle wrote:i'll reiterate. the pennsyltucky stereotype is just that: a stereotype. this conversation is ironic b/c it seems to me that people victimized by stereotypes and prejudice would be a little more sensitive about making blanket statements about a third of a state. were there race riots in york? yes, in 1969. there were race riots in los angeles in the 90s, but you're not afraid to move there, are you? york/adams/lancaster/chester/berks/dauphin/cumberland counties are good places to live. they're within large cities' spheres of influence (balto and phila) and you can tell. obviously there are a lot of farms there, and of course there are some racist idiots. but you'll find that element anywhere, unfortunately.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =121576402

Yes it's only one incidence, but glean from the community reactions to the whole thing.

Yes it's ironic about race relations and rejudice. You would think that people who are discriminated against as second class citizens should in return do the right thing and not use categorical thinking right? :roll:

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:42 pm

Gemini: I'm Jewish and never had problems in (urban) Central and NE PA. Harrisburg, Allentown, and Scranton have modest, but close-knit Jewish communities. I'd never choose to live there, but that has far more to do with its lack of culture and job opportunities than my religion/ethnicity. Many people from true "Pennsyltucky" don't even know what Jews are.[/quote]

And thanks, Heavenwood! Where I'm really looking into is Philly. I really like the city. I'm not 100% sure this is where I'll be but it's definitely a candidate.[/quote]

Three little letters I...T...E (P.S. a 164 is nothing to be betting your future on, plenty of futureless attorneys with higher).

R8 --> All this of course is funny because the most racist place I ever lived was D.C.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:44 pm

You're a 1L at Penn, but you can't figure out how to format quotes on a message board?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:44 pm

What is funny about this conversation is that the place that I've encountered the most racism was D.C. - people there are awful.

"You're a 1L at Penn, but you can't figure out how to format quotes on a message board?"

Yah dood, I used the time I saved not learning how to format responses studying for the LSAT so that I wouldn't get a 166.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Veyron wrote:What is funny about this conversation is that the place that I've encountered the most racism was D.C. - people there are awful.

"You're a 1L at Penn, but you can't figure out how to format quotes on a message board?"

Yah dood, I used the time I saved not learning how to format responses studying for the LSAT so that I wouldn't get a 166.
Clearly, you didn't spend enough time acquiring social skills.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:51 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Veyron wrote:What is funny about this conversation is that the place that I've encountered the most racism was D.C. - people there are awful.

It's no waste, its not like I would have time to use them as a 1L anyway. Besides, enough of my classmates are like me where I fit in irregardless. G-d I love Penn.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:53 pm

Veyron wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

It's no waste, its not like I would have time to use them as a 1L anyway.
Good luck presenting yourself when hiring time comes around. It doesn't matter if you graduate top of your class. A self-absorbed dick is still a self-absorbed dick.

But let's not derail this thread any further. If you have anything further to say, PM me. Otherwise, let's let the matter drop.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:57 pm

[/quote]

Good luck presenting yourself when hiring time comes around. It doesn't matter if you graduate top of your class. A self-absorbed dick is still a self-absorbed dick.

But let's not derail this thread any further. If you have anything further to say, PM me. Otherwise, let's let the matter drop.[/quote]

Meh, the thread is over anyways. I will only say that many attornies think exactly what I think but are too nice to say it. I don't know why you assume that I would behave the same way dealing with an associate at OCI as I do with some random dood on the internet who calls out my post format. Perhaps it is assumptions like these that led to your poor performance.

Lol, also, I actually do know a Jew from Pennsyltucky. She's a pretty cool dood. Girls that can shoot a gun get major respect in my book.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:08 pm

Wow.

Just go away Veyron. 164 is pretty good and 166 is a really good score. Not it's not amazing but I'm sure Heavenwood tried his/her hardest and so did I.

Sorry if its not good enough for you but luckily, what you think doesn't really matter. And I love how people come to this thread thinking they know everything about what other lawyers think, etc.

Stop patronizing people. I hate people like that. Luckily, I believe in karma.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:13 pm

I don't think any attornies care what you scored on the LSAT. By the time you are looking for jobs it's grades that really matter, not what your LSAT score is.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:15 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Wow.

Just go away Veyron. 164 is pretty good and 166 is a really good score. Not it's not amazing but I'm sure Heavenwood tried his/her hardest and so did I.

Sorry if its not good enough for you but luckily, what you think doesn't really matter. And I love how people come to this thread thinking they know everything about what other lawyers think, etc.

Truth = patronizing? People from Penn are getting doc review and you think your 164 with T2 with debt is going to cut it in the most competive legal market ever?
And we wonder how America got into this mess.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:20 pm

Veyron wrote:

Truth = patronizing? People from Penn are getting doc review and you think your 164 with T2 with debt is going to cut it in the most competive legal market ever?
The truth can be told without blatant exaggeration. It also can be told without taking pleasure in putting down others.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Veyron wrote:

Also, 164 gets me into T1 WITH money. I think I'll survive. I have the determination and believe what you may about my LSAT score, I have the intelligence to get a job when I graduate from law school.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:24 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Also, 164 gets me into T1 WITH money. I think I'll survive. I have the determination and believe what you may about my LSAT score, I have the intelligence to get a job when I graduate from law school.
To be fair, Veyron isn't entirely wrong. It is tough out there, and outside YHS, there are really no guarantees. That being said, there is a big difference between not having a guaranteed job and being guaranteed no job.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”