Best shot at BigLaw in T30?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rickynwhyc
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:11 am

Best shot at BigLaw in T30?

Postby rickynwhyc » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:50 pm

Looking to gain some insight here.

I would say ITE this is a tough call, but I don't have the GPA for T17 and my ultimate goal is BigLaw.

Which Schools outside of the top 17 give you at least a somewhat decent shot at BigLaw? Regionally, nationally, I don't care. And I know overall employment is abysmal right now.

I still want to know where you would have the BEST shot at MAYBE landing a decent job. I'd prefer not to just base it on pure statistics as many other factors seem to be at play here.

I'm talking a comparison between employment prospects at Emory, Davis, UGA, BC, UIUC, Fordham, etc

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Best shot at BigLaw in T30?

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:53 pm

Top 10% at Fordham is pretty good. But then again top 10% anywhere...

rickynwhyc
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:11 am

Re: Best shot at BigLaw in T30?

Postby rickynwhyc » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:54 pm

But would you say, at somewhere like UIUC, or Emory, it's closer to top 20%?

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: Best shot at BigLaw in T30?

Postby plenipotentiary » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:58 pm

If you don't have the GPA, retake the LSAT.

rickynwhyc
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:11 am

Re: Best shot at BigLaw in T30?

Postby rickynwhyc » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:07 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:If you don't have the GPA, retake the LSAT.


I haven't taken it yet. I'm just projecting my score based on diagnostics.

I am however, at least somewhat in touch with my own ability, and I doubt I can bring my LSAT up to the point that the T14s are looking for (even paired with a high GPA). And since it would have to be high enough to get them to look past my GPA.. I don't see it happening..

I just want to know where I should be looking at outside of the top schools for decent employment prospects.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Best shot at BigLaw in T30?

Postby The Gentleman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:12 pm

umm so when are you taking the LSAT/applying OP?

sissyclark
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Best shot at BigLaw in T30?

Postby sissyclark » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:14 pm

i think it would go in the following tiers:

GW/BU/BC/Fordham = roughly top 25% will give you a fighting chance.

WUSTL/ND/Emory = probably top 15%. These schools are tricky because I don't think as many Biglaw firms recruit from them. You would essentiall probably have to mass mail and hope firm bites.

Emory/UIUC -Probably top 10%.

rickynwhyc
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:11 am

Re: Best shot at BigLaw in T30?

Postby rickynwhyc » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:25 pm

The Gentleman wrote:umm so when are you taking the LSAT/applying OP?


December, and as quickly as I can after I get my scores back.

With rolling admissions, I realize this wasn't the best course of action.
sissyclark wrote:i think it would go in the following tiers:

GW/BU/BC/Fordham = roughly top 25% will give you a fighting chance.

WUSTL/ND/Emory = probably top 15%. These schools are tricky because I don't think as many Biglaw firms recruit from them. You would essentiall probably have to mass mail and hope firm bites.

Emory/UIUC -Probably top 10%.


viewtopic.php?f=1&t=136090

Apparently the consensus with Fordham is only top 5-10% are safe. I would love to stick around NY but it seems like the market is flooded beyond belief.

I don't have the GPA for BU since it looks like they weigh it heavily.

I'll probably just end up applying to everything in between..

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Best shot at BigLaw in T30?

Postby Grizz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:26 pm

sissyclark wrote:i think it would go in the following tiers:

GW/BU/BC/Fordham = roughly top 25% will give you a fighting chance.

WUSTL/ND/Emory = probably top 15%. These schools are tricky because I don't think as many Biglaw firms recruit from them. You would essentiall probably have to mass mail and hope firm bites.

Emory/UIUC -Probably top 10%.


Did you just blindly speculate all this?

Anyways OP, back when the economy was better, biglaw from each school looked something like this. Keep in mind this does not take into account people who took clerkships or prestigious govt. instead of biglaw.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf

Just take the LSAT and figure out where you have a shot basically.

rickynwhyc
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:11 am

Re: Best shot at BigLaw in T30?

Postby rickynwhyc » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:37 pm

rad law wrote:
sissyclark wrote:i think it would go in the following tiers:

GW/BU/BC/Fordham = roughly top 25% will give you a fighting chance.

WUSTL/ND/Emory = probably top 15%. These schools are tricky because I don't think as many Biglaw firms recruit from them. You would essentiall probably have to mass mail and hope firm bites.

Emory/UIUC -Probably top 10%.


Did you just blindly speculate all this?

Anyways OP, back when the economy was better, biglaw from each school looked something like this. Keep in mind this does not take into account people who took clerkships or prestigious govt. instead of biglaw.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf

Just take the LSAT and figure out where you have a shot basically.


Thanks, yeah that's basically my plan.. just take the LSAT then see where I'm at.

I'm probably going to fall into the range of a lot of similar T20-25 schools though, so I'm trying to figure out which schools/markets are going to give me the best shot at BigLaw.

Truth be told, I'd love to practice in NY, but since NY Biglaw has the choice of the entire T14, and Fordham is looking at horrible prospects for Grads, I don't think it's an option since the T20-25 don't have a national reach from what I've heard.

My IDEAL choice would be something T20-25, that still teaches conceptual over Bar review, and that has SOME connections in the NY market that give me a shot at Biglaw in the big apple.. assuming I'm top 10-20%. Does such a magical fairyland university exist ITE?

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Best shot at BigLaw in T30?

Postby RPK34 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:40 pm

sissyclark wrote:i think it would go in the following tiers:

GW/BU/BC/Fordham = roughly top 25% will give you a fighting chance.

WUSTL/ND/Emory = probably top 15%. These schools are tricky because I don't think as many Biglaw firms recruit from them. You would essentiall probably have to mass mail and hope firm bites.

Emory/UIUC -Probably top 10%.


I don't know about WUSTL, but that might be optimistic for ND and Emory. ND, in particular, seems to have gotten killed ITE. Law review kids without jobs.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chipotle85, kalvano, obx, trmckenz, vintageblazers, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests