Looking for a full ride

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Grizz

Re: Looking for a full ride

Postby Grizz » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:10 pm

mst wrote:Uh yes, believe it or not, quality of school does make a difference outside of the t14 in most markets... I'm not foolish, I'm just not a retard following the t14 or shitlaw mentality this board seems to have impressed on you. Just here in Florida for example, there's a big difference between attending UF, as opposed to Barry where he could get a full ride... Most Florida attorneys would hire a UF graduate WELL before resorting to Barry. Stop making shit up.

Why go to Barry when you can go to Nova?

Noval

Postby Noval » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:11 pm

mst wrote:Uh yes, believe it or not, quality of school does make a difference outside of the t14 in most markets... I'm not foolish, I'm just not a retard following the t14 or shitlaw mentality this board seems to have impressed on you. Just here in Florida for example, there's a big difference between attending UF, as opposed to Barry where he could get a full ride... Most Florida attorneys would hire a UF graduate WELL before resorting to Barry. Stop making shit up.

The thing is that most people on University do not get hired on campus, if this guy is not aiming BigLaw, who fucking else would do OCI except a few more parties ?

You'll see how Alumni Networking/Grades will open/close several doors when you graduate, it's not just about the OCI Lottery.

mst

Postby mst » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Firms choosing to do OCI's are not the only folks that care about the prestige of the institutions they hire attorneys from, especially in small firms where each attorneys background and history is front and center, available to the clients eyes. Using your own networks is a lot easier when you come from an institution like William & Mary, Wake Forest, or Alabama then it is when you come from Shit-law University. For example, the attorneys I know would definitely not dip outside of the top 100 schools to hire an additional associate, regardless of how well they knew them. And even within that top 100, it comes down to how well the school resonates to clients in the attorneys geographic area...

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:28 pm

Noval wrote:

The thing is that most people on University do not get hired on campus, if this guy is not aiming BigLaw, who fucking else would do OCI except a few more parties ?

You'll see how Alumni Networking/Grades will open/close several doors when you graduate, it's not just about the OCI Lottery.

I don't even understand this post to be honest.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Noval wrote:

We didn't say this was about OCI.

So lol no.

Noval

Postby Noval » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:39 pm

rad law wrote:
Noval wrote:

So lol no.

Oh, forgot, i was arguing with the prime douchebag gunners, don't count my comment.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:20 am

Noval wrote:
rad law wrote:
Noval wrote:

So lol no.

Oh, forgot, i was arguing with the prime douchebag gunners, don't count my comment.

I didn't realize you being misinformed made me a gunner.

Also if you can't deal with prime douchebag gunners, don't go to law school.

HTH

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:23 am

Noval wrote:
rad law wrote:
Noval wrote:

So lol no.

Apology accepted. Don't let it happen again.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:59 am

Are you guys being mean to Noval again? He's been nothing but a perfect gentlemen on these boards, please treat him with some respect.

mst

Postby mst » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:35 am

ahduth wrote:Are you guys being mean to Noval again? He's been nothing but a perfect gentlemen on these boards, please treat him with some respect.

If you are being serious, please take a look at his various posts throughout several recent threads. I have no problem with him... but when he repeatedly offers opinions and guidance way out of touch with reality and common sense, I think most people on the board who have been around a while are going to do their best to correct him so that readers are not left to decide their futures based off his b.s.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:00 am

mst wrote:
ahduth wrote:Are you guys being mean to Noval again? He's been nothing but a perfect gentlemen on these boards, please treat him with some respect.

If you are being serious, please take a look at his various posts throughout several recent threads. I have no problem with him... but when he repeatedly offers opinions and guidance way out of touch with reality and common sense, I think most people on the board who have been around a while are going to do their best to correct him so that readers are not left to decide their futures based off his b.s.

I need direct you no further than the following post, and you can see that Noval is not only a gentleman, but also a scholar:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=129196&p=3517354#p3517354

mst

Postby mst » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:52 am

God, I'm so thankful I didn't stumble upon that thread earlier or I would have blown my brains out. Across literally several threads I've had to counter his bullshit advice on US law schools, and more frequently the US law job markets, and he just keeps arguing... and then you show me this thread where he admits he has "no idea what US markets are like."

*Shoots self in face*

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:20 am

ahduth wrote:I need direct you no further than the following post, and you can see that Noval is not only a gentleman, but also a scholar:

mst wrote:God, I'm so thankful I didn't stumble upon that thread earlier or I would have blown my brains out. Across literally several threads I've had to counter his bullshit advice on US law schools, and more frequently the US law job markets, and he just keeps arguing... and then you show me this thread where he admits he has "no idea what US markets are like."

*Shoots self in face*

Are you kidding me! That thread is a Gem! And to think I was wasting my time with "man v food" reruns and WWII in HD when I could have been reading THIS!

clone22

Postby clone22 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:25 pm

rad law wrote:

Why go to Barry when you can go to Nova?

my high school teachers all said Nova was a good program with outstanding faculty. :( dont be hatin

but on a serious note, is a Nova JD really that useless? Can't imagine a law school operating for a while if its degrees didnt mean anything

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:30 pm

clone22 wrote:but on a serious note, is a Nova JD really that useless? Can't imagine a law school operating for a while if its degrees didnt mean anything

This honestly made me lol. Yes, welcome to the legal world.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:59 pm

clone22 wrote:but on a serious note, is a Nova JD really that useless? Can't imagine a law school operating for a while if its degrees didnt mean anything

Is this a serious question? TTT law schools exist because they can fill their class, not because their degrees are worth anything.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:29 am

Looking for a full ride was more a curiosity, although LSN gave more hope than ya'll. Either way, I'm pretty sure I don't want biglaw. Legal work interests the hell out of me, especially the academic side, but I don't know that courtroom work will. In fact, I could easily see myself trying to parlay into business or something after school, if courtroom work is awful as it sounds. Needless to say, my opinion of "paperwork lawyers" is even lower.

Not to say I don't want to be a lawyer, or that I'm attending law school with another aim in mind, but from looking around here I've realized that what I need most from my legal education are options. So many people either find themselves jobless and depressed, or in Biglaw but hating, or in the public defenders office but unable to handle the stress, that I know I need exits if this proves true for myself.

And no, I'm not pissed. In fact, I received very few B's in college, but a couple of C's really killed me, as did attending an undergrad that didn't offer pluses. In retrospect, I would have worked harder, but didn't, and I'm not concerned with rewriting history. I'm just moving forward and looking for the best plan open to me.

Noval

Postby Noval » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:36 pm

ahduth wrote:
mst wrote:

I need direct you no further than the following post, and you can see that Noval is not only a gentleman, but also a scholar:

That thread you posted was not a decent example, i asked one simple question like many others and some jealous pricks got all tough and personnal towards me then they started insulting/bashing/trolling me for no valuable reason and then *claimed* i started all this when they WERE NOT even forced to answer my post.

So if you think i am not a gentlemen over the Internet, you just need to fuck off and do something more constructive with your existence instead of adding more hype to the INTERNET HATE.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:47 pm

Noval wrote:
ahduth wrote:
mst wrote:

That thread you posted was not a decent example, i asked one simple question like many others and some jealous pricks got all tough and personnal towards me then they started insulting/bashing/trolling me for no valuable reason and then *claimed* i started all this when they WERE NOT even forced to answer my post.

So if you think i am not a gentlemen over the Internet, you just need to fuck off and do something more constructive with your existence instead of adding more hype to the INTERNET HATE.

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Choosing a Law School”