Looking for a full ride

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Fark-o-vision

Looking for a full ride

Postby Fark-o-vision » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:47 am

I think the title says the most of it, but I'd also like to add that I'm cool with living about anywhere. I come from a military family and have people all over the country, so location isn't a big deal. although I love the city, its like a 60/40 thing with me. Stats are a 3.4 with a 170 LSAT and no remarkable softs. What do you think the best school is that I can get a full ride, or close to one, from?

thexfactor

Re: Looking for a full ride

Postby thexfactor » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:50 am

i think youa re better off getting some money like 1/4 or less scholarship at vandy than close to full at wustl/bc/bu/emory... etc

there is a big drop off between vandy/usc/ucla and wustl bc bu/emory

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:40 am

I was offered a full ride at AZ and UNLV last year with very similar numbers.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:44 am

I have your same numbers and applied last year. It's damn hard to get a full ride for a splitter. Pepperdine offered me 25k/year, UIUC 24k, Minnesota 18k. Pepperdine was the lowest ranked school I applied to.

Winner: UVA deferral scholly 18k/yr. 8)

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:30 am

A full ride is difficult with your low GPA because you can't boost both medians at any decent law school.

tomtom23

Postby tomtom23 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:06 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:It's damn hard to get a full ride for a splitter.

Why? Do law schools look at how many schools you applied to when deciding financial aid? How do they know?

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:36 pm

im_blue wrote:A full ride is difficult with your low GPA because you can't boost both medians at any decent law school.

tomtom23

Postby tomtom23 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:04 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
im_blue wrote:A full ride is difficult with your low GPA because you can't boost both medians at any decent law school.

For some reason I thought "splitter" meant someone who applies to a lot of schools in hopes of landing an admission they are not likely to be predicted as getting in one or two; playing the numbers. It makes sense now.

timduncanformvp

Postby timduncanformvp » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:03 pm

Alabama would likely give you one or at least put you very close.

Noval

Postby Noval » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:02 pm

Depends on what you want, if it's BigLaw down the road, the the most evident key is to go to the best possible school and do well from there, forget full-ride if you can get 1-2/4 ride + decent reputation for more mobility.

If you want your own Business, or join some less competitive areas or go teaching, then obviously take a full-ride at a no name school, just avoid Emory if you don't want to come back to TLS and start a rant thread about how your degree doesn't mean shit and that you've wasted 3 years of your life getting that top record that no one will look at since you come from Emory.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:08 pm

Fellow 170/3.4 here. You're gonna have to dip pretty low to get a full ride, though I imagine WUSTL/Illinois/Minn will give you decent money. As previous posters have said, it really depends on your goals. If you're shooting for Biglaw, you'd be much better off taking a small scholarship (or paying sticker) at a better school.

mst

Postby mst » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:50 am

beachbum wrote:Fellow 170/3.4 here. You're gonna have to dip pretty low to get a full ride, though I imagine WUSTL/Illinois/Minn will give you decent money. As previous posters have said, it really depends on your goals. If you're shooting for Biglaw, you'd be much better off taking a small scholarship (or paying sticker) at a better school.

This. If your only goal is to get a JD at the best school you can for free, you're going to have to dip pretty far down... so far down in fact that even if you just want a jd for the sake of working in any kind of law, you're better off taking the partial at an awesome t14-t20 because this isn't much less than what you'll get at most of the tier 1 and tier 2 schools.

Time for reality check if you're pissed: You got mostly "B's" in college. Why do you think you should get a free 3 year education to a pretty decent law school for getting mostly B's? (Unless of course you were an engineer or something similar, in which case you should for all purposes get one somewhere but you wont anyways because nobody cares).

Places you'll get 1/2 to 2/3 POSSIBLY that are ranked well:

-Washington & Lee
-Illinois
-Minnesota

These are your best options as far as value of scholarship/rank go. My bet is you won't get money higher than this that's more than 10k or so a year, IF you get in. And the schools below them will not offer substantially more to justify not attending the above.

That said, I'm sure if you apply to the top 100 schools you'll get money somewhere. But nobody is going to do that. Find particular schools in the 30-100 range that you are actually interested in going to/comfortable living and working in that region and not having a job upon graduation. Apply to 5 or 10 of these schools. Get fee waivers. It won't be hard with your LSAT. One of them will give you a large scholarship for sure. That's all I can say. Nobody on here is prepared to tell you how every school in the nation is going to view you as an applicant as far as scholarship money goes. It's just way too much information to process.

If you really want a chance at big money, delay a cycle and get awesome grades for the next 2 semesters if you're in college still to boost your GPA. Otherwise, this is what you'll get.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:20 am

Noval wrote:Depends on what you want, if it's BigLaw down the road, the the most evident key is to go to the best possible school and do well from there, forget full-ride if you can get 1-2/4 ride + decent reputation for more mobility.

If you want your own Business, or join some less competitive areas or go teaching, then obviously take a full-ride at a no name school, just avoid Emory if you don't want to come back to TLS and start a rant thread about how your degree doesn't mean shit and that you've wasted 3 years of your life getting that top record that no one will look at since you come from Emory.

Emory gets a lot of hate here, but it's largely based on only a few examples (and an ATL story). Without knowing more from Emory's peer schools, we don't even know if this problem (if it is a problem) is unique to Emory. Obviously don't go to Emory if you want a good shot at biglaw, but that's, like, no duh bro.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:07 am

Noval wrote:Depends on what you want, if it's BigLaw down the road, the the most evident key is to go to the best possible school and do well from there, forget full-ride if you can get 1-2/4 ride + decent reputation for more mobility.

what's so bad about emory?

littlebit

Postby littlebit » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:52 am

Be careful about GPA requirements. You don't want to go to a TTT and wind up paying sticker in year 2 & 3. Top schools usually don't have GPA requirements to keep your scholarship, lower ranked schools usually do and sometimes they stack their sections so that only a small portion are actually able to keep them.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:11 am

littlebit wrote:Be careful about GPA requirements. You don't want to go to a TTT and wind up paying sticker in year 2 & 3. Top schools usually don't have GPA requirements to keep your scholarship, lower ranked schools usually do and sometimes they stack their sections so that only a small portion are actually able to keep them.

Name a school that has a GPA requirement and stacks sections.

mattyboy7we

Postby mattyboy7we » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:43 am

bergg007 wrote:

Nothing is wrong with Emory. Emory is a great school that gives out very generous scholarships to students. It is a "regional" school in the sense that most grads find jobs in the south east, but I know people that have gone on work in almost every major market. The OP has no idea what he is talking about.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:07 pm

ggocat wrote:
littlebit wrote:Be careful about GPA requirements. You don't want to go to a TTT and wind up paying sticker in year 2 & 3. Top schools usually don't have GPA requirements to keep your scholarship, lower ranked schools usually do and sometimes they stack their sections so that only a small portion are actually able to keep them.

Name a school that has a GPA requirement and stacks sections.

Agree that it's mainly rumors, but I wouldn't be surprised if schools did stuff like giving out scholarships contingent in staying in the top third of the class to half the people in the class.

littlebit

Postby littlebit » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:11 pm

Do a search on this forum for stacked sections and read the comments. Even if the sections are not stacked, folks lose their scholarships every year and then they are stuck, with a full tuition bill, at a TTT with no way to transfer because of their rank.

Noval

Postby Noval » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:21 pm

mattyboy7we wrote:
bergg007 wrote:

Nothing is wrong with Emory. Emory is a great school that gives out very generous scholarships to students. It is a "regional" school in the sense that most grads find jobs in the south east, but I know people that have gone on work in almost every major market. The OP has no idea what he is talking about.

This is a myth:

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/07/emory-la ... need-jobs/

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:28 pm

OP, mind if I ask why you are intent on getting a full ride? Depending on what field of law you want to go into, this might not be the best option with your numbers.

Noval

Postby Noval » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:57 pm

2011Law wrote:OP, mind if I ask why you are intent on getting a full ride? Depending on what field of law you want to go into, this might not be the best option with your numbers.

As long as he is not aiming BigLaw, getting a full-ride will be his best option.

mst

Postby mst » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:01 pm

Noval wrote:
2011Law wrote:OP, mind if I ask why you are intent on getting a full ride? Depending on what field of law you want to go into, this might not be the best option with your numbers.

As long as he is not aiming BigLaw, getting a full-ride will be his best option.

Uh... that's not true.

Noval

Postby Noval » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:32 pm

mst wrote:
Noval wrote:

Uh... that's not true.

Do you really think going to anything higher ranked but not a Top 14 would still increase his chances on this market ? Don't be so foolish and stay realistic.

+ Graduating with no debts will definitely be a leg up, even though he's not from Vandy.

mst

Postby mst » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Uh yes, believe it or not, quality of school does make a difference outside of the t14 in most markets... I'm not foolish, I'm just not a sheep following the t14 or shitlaw mentality this board seems to have impressed on you.
Last edited by mst on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”