Best choice in Florida for me for my JD?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
UCFundergrad

Best choice in Florida for me for my JD?

Postby UCFundergrad » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:44 pm

Obviously Florida or FSU are the best but in terms of my chances(listed below), which Florida school is best for me?

Florida- 10%
FSU- 15%
Miami- 50%
Stetson- 55%
Florida International- 65%
Florida A&M- 90%
Nova Southeastern- 95%
Barry- almost 100%
Florida Coastal- 95%
St. Thomas- almost 100%
Ave Maria- 95%

I'm kind of trying to figure out which is the best besides Florida, FSU, Miami, Stetson, or Florida International if I don't get into one of those 5. Thanks!

Cupidity

Re: Best choice in Florida for me for my JD?

Postby Cupidity » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:47 pm

Nothing under Stetson is worth it.

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:49 pm

Cupidity wrote:Nothing under Stetson is worth it.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:50 pm

Ask Goft why.

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Ask Goft why.

why goft? (Seriously, why?)

UCFundergrad

Postby UCFundergrad » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:53 pm

Well I've got to go somewhere if I don't get into one of the higher ones. Any recommendations?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:04 pm

ns77770 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Ask Goft why.

Even top of Florida gets OCI pwned.

TT09

Postby TT09 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:22 pm

This.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:24 pm

UCFundergrad wrote:Well I've got to go somewhere if I don't get into one of the higher ones. Any recommendations?

No, you don't have to.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:34 pm

UCFundergrad wrote:Well I've got to go somewhere if I don't get into one of the higher ones. Any recommendations?

Retake.

UCFundergrad

Postby UCFundergrad » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Boy this site isn't supportive of many law schools. I guess everyone on here is Yale or bust.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:11 pm

UCFundergrad wrote:Boy this site isn't supportive of many law schools. I guess everyone on here is Yale or bust.

if you think this site is being harsh on you check JD underground.....
This site is the truth like paul peirce.

The economy is absolutely a cesspool for lawyers. Even during the 07 "boom" most people from T1/T2 schools were still not getting SA programs. Retake and aim higher. At least go to GW/fordham/emory/bc/bu level schools to give you a fighting chance...

minuit

Postby minuit » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ns77770 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Ask Goft why.

Even top of Florida gets OCI pwned.

really? care to share a bit more?

mst

Postby mst » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:20 pm

Nothing below Stetson is worth it. And that's not to say that Stetson is worth it. This mindset you have about HAVING to attend law school is just ridiculous. Unless you're going to inherit your parents practice and have a job lined up already, going to a good law school is necessary ITE, otherwise you're just throwing away 3 years of your life and a 150,000 dollars. Sorry for being real. But we would all be doing you a HUGE disservice by saying that Barry or Nova are worth one minute of your time.

UCFundergrad

Postby UCFundergrad » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:22 pm

thexfactor wrote:
UCFundergrad wrote:Boy this site isn't supportive of many law schools. I guess everyone on here is Yale or bust.

The economy is absolutely a cesspool for lawyers. Even during the 07 "boom" most people from T1/T2 schools were still not getting SA programs. Retake and aim higher. At least go to GW/fordham/emory/bc/bu level schools to give you a fighting chance...

That's what everyone on these kind of sites say but the average salaries of even people coming from T4 schools seems to differ from what everyone behind a screen name says. I've talked to several lawyers/advisors/judges and they all have said just get a law degree from the best school and you'll be fine. A law degree from a T4 might not be Ivy League material but it's better than a bachelors in business.

UCFundergrad

Postby UCFundergrad » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:23 pm

mst wrote:Nothing below Stetson is worth it. And that's not to say that Stetson is worth it. This mindset you have about HAVING to attend law school is just ridiculous. Unless you're going to inherit your parents practice and have a job lined up already, going to a good law school is necessary ITE, otherwise you're just throwing away 3 years of your life and a 150,000 dollars. Sorry for being real. But we would all be doing you a HUGE disservice by saying that Barry or Nova are worth one minute of your time.

How are these people getting jobs from T4's then? I'm not expecting to make 200k a year out of Barry, not to say I'd go there but just for this point.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:26 pm

thexfactor wrote:This site is the truth like paul peirce.

Boston over Miami in the 2011 Eastern Conference Finals. That's a lock son.

But OP, how did you quantify your chances at these schools? Mind sharing your GPA/LSAT?

UCFundergrad

Postby UCFundergrad » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:30 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
thexfactor wrote:This site is the truth like paul peirce.

Boston over Miami in the 2011 Eastern Conference Finals. That's a lock son.

But OP, how did you quantify your chances at these schools? Mind sharing your GPA/LSAT?

I did the LSAC.com UGPA/LSAT search. I have a 3.1 / 156.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Florida is one of the most overcrowded states in terms of law schools and job seeking graduates. Why not expand your geographic preferences?

UCFundergrad

Postby UCFundergrad » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:40 pm

The Gentleman wrote:Florida is one of the most overcrowded states in terms of law schools and job seeking graduates. Why not expand your geographic preferences?

I've kind of been looking into that. I haven't really explored it a whole lot yet. Thanks for a real suggestion besides don't go to law school!

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:44 pm

UCFundergrad wrote:Thanks for a real suggestion besides don't go to law school!

As long as you understand the costs/benefits of attending a TTT/TTTT school, then I see no reason to berate you about your decision.

Royal

Postby Royal » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:47 pm

UCFundergrad wrote:That's what everyone on these kind of sites say but the average salaries of even people coming from T4 schools seems to differ from what everyone behind a screen name says. I've talked to several lawyers/advisors/judges and they all have said just get a law degree from the best school and you'll be fine. A law degree from a T4 might not be Ivy League material but it's better than a bachelors in business.

I read this article a while back that said Microsoft employs more millionaire secretaries than any other company in the world. They took stock options over Christmas bonuses. It was a good move.

I remember there was this picture... one of the groundskeepers next to his Ferrari. Blew my mind. You see shit like that, and it just plants seeds, makes you think its possible -- even easy. And then you turn on the TV, and there's just more of it. The $87 Million lottery winner, that kid actor that just made 20 million off his last movie, that internet stock that shot through the roof, you could have made millions if you had just gotten in early, and that's exactly what I wanted to do: get in.

I didn't want to be an innovator any more, i just wanted to make the quick and easy buck, i just wanted in. Notorious BIG said it best: "Either you're slingin' crack-rock, or you've got a wicked jump-shot." Nobody wants to work for it anymore. There's no honor in taking that after school job at Mickey Dee's. Honor's in the dollar, kid. So I went the liberal arts major way of slingin' crack rock: I went to a Florida law school.

minuit

Postby minuit » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Royal wrote:So I went the liberal arts major way of slingin' crack rock: I went to a Florida law school.

lol shit, son!

mst

Postby mst » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:43 pm

UCFundergrad wrote:How are these people getting jobs from T4's then? I'm not expecting to make 200k a year out of Barry, not to say I'd go there but just for this point.

They don't get jobs. I had a buddy the other day tell me about how hid girlfriend is going to Barry. I felt terrible, didn't say a word. She just won't get hired. She will end up working for a business that would have hired her regardless of her law degree. Except she will have a huge amount of extra debt.

I understand that you don't need to make 200,000. You might be happy with 60. Or even 50. This won't happen.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:12 am

UCFundergrad wrote:
thexfactor wrote:

That's what everyone on these kind of sites say but the average salaries of even people coming from T4 schools seems to differ from what everyone behind a screen name says. I've talked to several lawyers/advisors/judges and they all have said just get a law degree from the best school and you'll be fine. A law degree from a T4 might not be Ivy League material but it's better than a bachelors in business.

not true a nursing degree is much more valuable. Same with ugrad accounting degree.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”