UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:34 pm

I am about to decide to ed or not to uva....and I wanted to visit...
what is the best way to get from DC to UVA...suggestions?

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:35 pm

maps.google.com

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:45 pm

drive... its like 2 hours.... why are you asking this?

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:45 pm

If you are asking for driving directions http://www.mapquest.com

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby Mike12188 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:47 pm

Best way? Private Jet hands down.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby sundance95 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:47 pm

Yeah google maps can solve this...I personally like going down US 29, it's a much more enjoyable drive then taking 95 to Fredricksburg and cutting over, and takes 10-15 minutes longer. Watch for speed traps though.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby sundance95 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:48 pm

Amtrak runs to Cville as well.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby bdubs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:48 pm

OP: I am assuming like a large number of DC residents that you don't have a car. You can take Amtrak, its pretty cheap and probably more comfortable and reliable than a bus.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:51 pm

sundance95 wrote:Amtrak runs to Cville as well.


How much would this be? and how long is the ride?

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:51 pm

bdubs wrote:OP: I am assuming like a large number of DC residents that you don't have a car. You can take Amtrak, its pretty cheap and probably more comfortable and reliable than a bus.


Should have stated this in origional post if it is the case

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:55 pm

Seriously man? Amtrak.com

I remember it being 70 dollars round trip on Amtrak when I looked, but do a little legwork here this is not rocket science.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby sundance95 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:57 pm

jt1341 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Amtrak runs to Cville as well.


How much would this be? and how long is the ride?


I think it's like 27 bucks or something one way, takes (according to Amtrak) a little longer than the drive, from 2hr20-2hr40 depending on which train you take.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:00 pm

sundance95 wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Amtrak runs to Cville as well.


How much would this be? and how long is the ride?


I think it's like 27 bucks or something one way, takes (according to Amtrak) a little longer than the drive, from 2hr20-2hr40 depending on which train you take.


I am suprised that it wouldnt be faster than driving. But ive never taken a train anywhere so i wouldnt know

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:40 pm

bdubs wrote:OP: I am assuming like a large number of DC residents that you don't have a car. You can take Amtrak, its pretty cheap and probably more comfortable and reliable than a bus.

I was asking because I am originally from California studying here for a semester...and i have no idea where anything is...and yes no car...mine is back in cali :( I think amtrak might work!

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:41 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Seriously man? Amtrak.com

I remember it being 70 dollars round trip on Amtrak when I looked, but do a little legwork here this is not rocket science.

i did....and I saw both...I wasnt sure if they were lying tough....about time or distance...I know google maps will say 2 hours back home and it can take you 6/7 depending on the time...I want to see if DC traffic outside of the beltway is crazy and not worth me taking a car (renting the car)

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:42 pm

sundance95 wrote:Yeah google maps can solve this...I personally like going down US 29, it's a much more enjoyable drive then taking 95 to Fredricksburg and cutting over, and takes 10-15 minutes longer. Watch for speed traps though.

whats a speedtrap?

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:43 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Seriously man? Amtrak.com

I remember it being 70 dollars round trip on Amtrak when I looked, but do a little legwork here this is not rocket science.

i did....and I saw both...I wasnt sure if they were lying tough....about time or distance...I know google maps will say 2 hours back home and it can take you 6/7 depending on the time...I want to see if DC traffic outside of the beltway is crazy and not worth me taking a car (renting the car)


I would think the cost of renting a car would be way more than an Amtrak ticket so I would probably go with the Amtrak.

If you do drive - just don't leave around rush hour. But if you HAVE to, it usually clears up after Fredericksburg but it will take you a long time to get that far :(

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby arism87 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:45 pm

29 is the best way- as long as there's nothing major going on in Cville (football game, etc) because then it can take an hour to go the last few miles. And a little over 2 hours, typically, depending on where in DC.

Agree about Amtrak though- it takes you to the station which is well within walking distance of UVA/downtown. Pretty easy to do, and in fact a few times I took Amtrak instead of driving just for the ease of doing it.
Last edited by arism87 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:45 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:I am about to decide to ed or not to uva....and I wanted to visit...
what is the best way to get from DC to UVA...suggestions?

fly

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:48 pm

arism87 wrote:29 is the best way- as long as there's nothing major going on in Cville (football game, etc) because then it can take an hour to go the last few miles. And a little over 2 hours, typically, depending on where in DC.

Agree about Amtrak though- it takes you to the station which is well within walking distance of UVA/downtown. Pretty easy to do, and in fact a few times I took Amtrak instead of driving just for the ease of doing it.


Thank you all!! very much appreciated!

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby sundance95 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:49 pm

jt1341 wrote:I am suprised that it wouldnt be faster than driving. But ive never taken a train anywhere so i wouldnt know


Amtrak's not like Europe, sadly, the trains go only marginally faster than freeway speed and have to make stops.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby sundance95 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Yeah google maps can solve this...I personally like going down US 29, it's a much more enjoyable drive then taking 95 to Fredricksburg and cutting over, and takes 10-15 minutes longer. Watch for speed traps though.

whats a speedtrap?


Not sure if serious...it's where cops hide around bends or signs in the middle of nowhere in order to catch you speeding.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:33 pm

sundance95 wrote:
jt1341 wrote:I am suprised that it wouldnt be faster than driving. But ive never taken a train anywhere so i wouldnt know


Amtrak's not like Europe, sadly, the trains go only marginally faster than freeway speed and have to make stops.


AmTTTrak's pretty much only good in the NE corridor. Outside the Boston/NY/DC corridor, meh. NY (NYU) to Philly (UPenn) door to door in 90 minutes? I'd say that's pretty good.
Last edited by motiontodismiss on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:05 pm

sundance95 wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Yeah google maps can solve this...I personally like going down US 29, it's a much more enjoyable drive then taking 95 to Fredricksburg and cutting over, and takes 10-15 minutes longer. Watch for speed traps though.

whats a speedtrap?


Not sure if serious...it's where cops hide around bends or signs in the middle of nowhere in order to catch you speeding.

I was serious...I didnt know thats what it was called.... :oops:

bree
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: UVA (from DC to Charlottesville)

Postby bree » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:22 pm

66-West
29-South

Easiest way to go and avoids the traffic of 95.

There are some alternatives to going straight on 29-South (Highways 15, 20, etc.) but this keeps it simple.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests