Lower T14: Cornell vs. GULC?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Patriot1208

Re: Lower T14: Cornell vs. GULC?

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:09 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Always ignore the
"all the women are ugly"
comments

It always simply means that whoever is writing it couldn't get a date, not that there aren't pretty girls. There are always pretty girls. Sometimes there are fewer than at other schools, but the schools that have a TON of pretty girls, those girls are really dumb, and although that may not seem like a big problem at first, you will be SO bored with them after a while... bored leads to annoyed leads to avoiding her completely

Ya, this depends on your standards, and clearly, mine are higher than yours.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:45 am

I'd go to Cornell. I think the average number of screening interviews a GULC student received through OCI was 11...yes, 11.

I got over 20 my year, and I didn't even do any hustling for extra interviews. I realize it was a bit of the pre-ITE difference, but I doubt OCI for the class of 2013 is going to be as as bad as for 2011 and 2012. Cornell also doesn't really do any better according to the Amlaw 250 placement charts.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:46 am

nealric wrote:
I'd go to Cornell. I think the average number of screening interviews a GULC student received through OCI was 11...yes, 11.

I got over 20 my year, and I didn't even do any hustling for extra interviews. I realize it was a bit of the pre-ITE difference, but I doubt OCI for the class of 2013 is going to be as as bad as for 2011 and 2012. Cornell also doesn't really do any better according to the Amlaw 250 placement charts.

This is what people say every year.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:52 am

This is what people say every year.

I think class of 2011 was the nadir, and 2012 was a bit better- at least that seems to be how things went at GULC. By this upcoming class, firms will finally have worked through their deferral backlogs.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:54 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:It always simply means that whoever is writing it couldn't get a date, not that there aren't pretty girls. There are always pretty girls. Sometimes there are fewer than at other schools, but the schools that have a TON of pretty girls, those girls are really dumb, and although that may not seem like a big problem at first, you will be SO bored with them after a while... bored leads to annoyed leads to avoiding her completely

False, see UNC undergrad. It's like heaven only better.

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:19 am

D-ROCCA wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:It always simply means that whoever is writing it couldn't get a date, not that there aren't pretty girls. There are always pretty girls. Sometimes there are fewer than at other schools, but the schools that have a TON of pretty girls, those girls are really dumb, and although that may not seem like a big problem at first, you will be SO bored with them after a while... bored leads to annoyed leads to avoiding her completely

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:26 am

Touche, sir.

balenciagar

Postby balenciagar » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:23 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:

I took my October LSAT in the NC area and I met a bunch of girls from UNC and NC state. Most of them were pretty and charming.
And they were saying their PTs were somewhere above 170 so I guess they're not dumb after all...? lol :P

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Image--ImageRemoved--

blink

Postby blink » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:01 pm

ok so after visiting both this fall, here is my input:

Georgetown: The law center is located right down the street from the Capitol Bldg and about 40(?) blocks from the undergrad campus to and from which a shuttle runs periodically throughout the day. There is a huge benefit from this which is rarely seen at other schools: the law students therefore have their own everything. There is a new fitness center just for the law students which is absolutely sweet, a really nice quiet (although it was under construction when I was there) library, a residence tower for first year law students, and a commons area type bldg with classrooms and a nice cafeteria style restaurant(food is decent-good). I found it rather impressive that Gtown was able to make the little law campus feel like a "campus" and not a city block. Compared with GW, which is in downtown DC and very much lacking a nice campus, Gtown feels very nice and secluded. Finally, there are two solid Irish pubs within about 100 yds of the law campus. I'm sure there is plenty more nearby, but I didn't get the chance to check it all out.

Cornell: (Disclaimer: I visited on a stunning late summery day and cannot comment on how bad the winters get) The law building is located adjacent to the undergrad campus and right on the edge of the little collegetown of Ithaca. That part of upstate NY is really beautiful, and the natural scenery (gorges, waterfalls, etc.) is amazing. The town is extremely hilly (which I would imagine contributes to the difficulty of winter transit) and biking is extremely popular as there are many different paths one can take out of the town (mountain or road biking). The town has a really friendly feel to it and is populated by many good restaurants for how small the town is. The law facilities are extremely old and well kept and gives off an air of prestige that new buildings cannot match. The thing that really stood out to me was how quiet it was all around the campus. Also, the library reading room was absolutely incredible. It reminded me of Michigan's, but a little different in a way that is difficult to explain. It isn't better or worse, just different. It definitely made me want to crack a book then and there.

Overall, I loved both schools. The atmospheres are distinctly different but each has its own benefits. The staff and students were all very accomodating at both schools and I personally felt very welcome. I get the impression that the schools are of very similar quality, so it will likely come down to cost and atmosphere. To each his/her own.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:34 pm

There is a new fitness center just for the law students which is absolutely sweet, a really nice quiet (although it was under construction when I was there) library,

Construction is over now. All they did was take out a stairwell.

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:20 pm

blink wrote:ok so after visiting both this fall, here is my input:

Georgetown: The law center is located right down the street from the Capitol Bldg and about 40(?) blocks from the undergrad campus to and from which a shuttle runs periodically throughout the day. There is a huge benefit from this which is rarely seen at other schools: the law students therefore have their own everything. There is a new fitness center just for the law students which is absolutely sweet, a really nice quiet (although it was under construction when I was there) library, a residence tower for first year law students, and a commons area type bldg with classrooms and a nice cafeteria style restaurant(food is decent-good). I found it rather impressive that Gtown was able to make the little law campus feel like a "campus" and not a city block. Compared with GW, which is in downtown DC and very much lacking a nice campus, Gtown feels very nice and secluded. Finally, there are two solid Irish pubs within about 100 yds of the law campus. I'm sure there is plenty more nearby, but I didn't get the chance to check it all out.

Cornell: (Disclaimer: I visited on a stunning late summery day and cannot comment on how bad the winters get) The law building is located adjacent to the undergrad campus and right on the edge of the little collegetown of Ithaca. That part of upstate NY is really beautiful, and the natural scenery (gorges, waterfalls, etc.) is amazing. The town is extremely hilly (which I would imagine contributes to the difficulty of winter transit) and biking is extremely popular as there are many different paths one can take out of the town (mountain or road biking). The town has a really friendly feel to it and is populated by many good restaurants for how small the town is. The law facilities are extremely old and well kept and gives off an air of prestige that new buildings cannot match. The thing that really stood out to me was how quiet it was all around the campus. Also, the library reading room was absolutely incredible. It reminded me of Michigan's, but a little different in a way that is difficult to explain. It isn't better or worse, just different. It definitely made me want to crack a book then and there.

Overall, I loved both schools. The atmospheres are distinctly different but each has its own benefits. The staff and students were all very accomodating at both schools and I personally felt very welcome. I get the impression that the schools are of very similar quality, so it will likely come down to cost and atmosphere. To each his/her own.

wow, that was...a pretty solid, concise break-down of both of those schools....can u do the same for the rest of the t14 for me plz? :P

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:32 pm

Thanks, this is a helpful overview. Ditto for the pictures. Cornell wins aesthetics.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:41 pm

Get in and go to whichever school is cheaper. Your grades will matter more than anything else in terms of comparing employment prospects. One great thing about GULC (that someone already mentioned) is that essentially every major law firm goes to their OCI. The number of firms that go to Cornell's OCI is much much lower; I believe they get the fewest in the top 14. They really seem to get a small amount of DC firms for a top 14 school on the east coast (34).

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/
http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:57 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Get in and go to whichever school is cheaper. Your grades will matter more than anything else in terms of comparing employment prospects. hOne great thing about GULC (that someone already mentioned) is that essentially every major law firm goes to their OCI. The number of firms that go to Cornell's OCI is much much lower; I believe they get the fewest in the top 14. They really seem to get a small amount of DC firms for a top 14 school on the east coast (34).ttp://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/
http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/

The first part of this post is credited. Go with the money or the school you like best if you get into both. But if you get into Georgetown FT you probably have a decent shot at Duke, Michigan, Northwestern, etc. If you want D.C. Georgetown is probably the way to go. Comparing raw number of employers is not really helpful. As I recall, Cornell students get more screening interviews than Georgetown. BUT, The only number that really matters is percentage of class that places in Biglaw and clerkships. I think the schools are pretty close in that regard. If you really believe that LSAT is a predictor of LS performance, go to Cornell, you have a better chance at finishing in the top of the class, right? Ultimately, these debates are pointless. The schools are peer schools in terms of placement, so go where you like or where its cheaper.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:02 pm

blink wrote:Georgetown: The law center is located right down the street from the Capitol Bldg and about 40(?) blocks from the undergrad campus to and from which a shuttle runs periodically throughout the day. There is a huge benefit from this which is rarely seen at other schools: the law students therefore have their own everything. There is a new fitness center just for the law students which is absolutely sweet, a really nice quiet (although it was under construction when I was there) library, a residence tower for first year law students, and a commons area type bldg with classrooms and a nice cafeteria style restaurant(food is decent-good). I found it rather impressive that Gtown was able to make the little law campus feel like a "campus" and not a city block. Compared with GW, which is in downtown DC and very much lacking a nice campus, Gtown feels very nice and secluded. Finally, there are two solid Irish pubs within about 100 yds of the law campus. I'm sure there is plenty more nearby, but I didn't get the chance to check it all out.

As a current DC resident I'm going to have to say that the initial impressions of GULC's location are not quite the ones you will find in the long term. The campus is basically in the middle of nowhere when it comes to DC. There are no good residential neighborhoods nearby and the judiciary square area is absolutely dead at night. That said, it is nice that GULC has its own facilities and whatnot. If you are willing to commute 20 minutes on the metro every day you can live in a better part of DC and actually enjoy the city.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:05 pm

The campus is basically in the middle of nowhere when it comes to DC. There are no good residential neighborhoods nearby and the judiciary square area is absolutely dead at night.

Capitol hill is a nice neighborhood, and very close. Chinatown is also a short walk- which has plenty of stuff going on.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:09 pm

nealric wrote:
The campus is basically in the middle of nowhere when it comes to DC. There are no good residential neighborhoods nearby and the judiciary square area is absolutely dead at night.

Capitol hill is a nice neighborhood, and very close. Chinatown is also a short walk- which has plenty of stuff going on.

GULC really isn't in either of those neighborhoods. They are walkable, but so is almost everything else in the city.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:24 pm

I would go to Cornell but that's just me. Placement wise they are relatively similar so unless you really have a preference I would go with whoever gives you the most $ or whether you prefer DC/NYC.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:52 pm

I prefer the DC environment, but I actually have a shot at getting into Cornell. Gtown? Not so much...

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:02 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:Image--ImageRemoved--

wow thats a crazy cool pic of cornell

blink

Postby blink » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:35 pm

fugitivejammer wrote:

wow, that was...a pretty solid, concise break-down of both of those schools....can u do the same for the rest of the t14 for me plz? :P

haha thanks! and yeah i would...if i had been to them all. I've only been to a few of them

violinst

Postby violinst » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:52 pm

MissLucky wrote:
DieAntwoord wrote:Image--ImageRemoved--

wow thats a crazy cool pic of cornell

Ithaca is so gorges that it inspires!

I visited both and chose Cornell. Gtown is too impersonal.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:07 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Always ignore the
"all the women are ugly"
comments

It always simply means that whoever is writing it couldn't get a date, not that there aren't pretty girls. There are always pretty girls. Sometimes there are fewer than at other schools, but the schools that have a TON of pretty girls, those girls are really dumb, and although that may not seem like a big problem at first, you will be SO bored with them after a while... bored leads to annoyed leads to avoiding her completely

I'm just pointing out what is pretty much objective fact but got a little carried away with my rant -- the women aren't ugly but it certainly isn't a high point of the city. It does shut down at 11 though. It's not like you can't find something going on but by and large the city is dead, which makes sense with so many people commuting in and out everyday. I was surprised how much more lively even much smaller cities are at night compared to D.C.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:12 pm

t
Last edited by sophia.olive on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”